Cloud-base migration to C-8 doesn’t work

If you have both Zigbee and Z-Wave devices working, then both are enabled. Easy to check, connect to hub, go to Settings and select Zigbee Details and Z-Wave Details respectively. At the top of each page will show if the radio is enabled or not.

That was it!
I have 3 separate devices (connected obviously): modem from ISP, my own router, and separate Wi-Fi mesh network.
My hub was connected to the mesh access point. Once I moved it and connected directly to the modem, the backup file was created (after second attempt).
Now I am waiting till the Z-Wave rebuilding topology.

Thanx

2 Likes

Can take a couple of days sometimes so just be patient and don't start excluding devices or anything.

1 Like

Ok... Things you should do for the future. Call your cable company and have them put their equipment in bridge/passthrough mode. This will enable your router and network to operate normally. Wan port on your router to their equipement. Then for your mesh (sounds like you had a triple nat) do not use the wan port on those, only the regular network ports. This will ensure all your equipment is on the same lan without anything getting hosed. Glad you got it working!

And also make sure that the WiFi Mesh System is not trying to assign DHCP addresses, as the separate "Router" should be handling this function.

1 Like

Thank you both @rlithgow1 and @ogiewon.
My mesh system is in bridge mode, so it is not adding its own NAT to the picture.
However about double NAT, I did it on purpose and it never cause any problem except with Hubitat. Not that it should.
The only problem I can think of: if Hubitat server tried to contact hub or other devices on my network. That would be a security concern and exactly one I am avoiding by double NATing :wink:

Thank you for help.
I’ll try to remember this problem next time I need a cloud features.

Double NAT is really never a good idea, IMHO. As long as you do not have any ports forwarded on your router, no externally initiated traffic can make it into your home LAN. The Hubitat Hub does reach out and connect to the Hubitat Cloud Server, and it maintains this persistent connection to allow for cloud-based integrations to work, as well as for Hubitat Hub firmware updates, Cloud Backups using the Hubitat Protect Subscription server, and the Remote Admin Subscription Service.

Adding multiple layers of NAT simply causes a lot of issues that result in a lot of added time to troubleshoot these issues later on, especially when users do not offer this information up front.

I am happy to hear it is now working. Enjoy that new C8 hub!

2 Likes

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

If the connection initiated from the hub and kept open, I don’t see how multi NAT would prevent this. It should be completely transparent for such communication.
I would be curious why connection to the cloud doesn’t work for Hubitat via double NAT if somebody in Hubitat would investigate that, but it works good enough for me as is.

Thank you for your help.

I'm working on this same issue myself. I'm dumbfounded as to why Hubitat's device is so incredibly finicky when connecting to Hubitat's servers over the internet to save a backup file. It would help me a lot to understand... why? Do people using Hub Protect have to analyze their home network setup (e.g. "Are Jumbo Frames enabled on any of the devices or network switches/router?") like this, too? What gives?

The majority of Hubitats out there don't have an issue connecting to their servers.

And well, the jumbo frames thing wouldn't have anything to do with you backing up to the cloud. Jumbo frames crash the Ethernet interface on the hub itself. Make sure that your ethernet speed is set to auto. Do you have any firewall rules going on or using pihole or odd DNS system?

1 Like

Appreciate the reply... I rebooted the hub (again), and it worked.

I am in a bad mood... having a Hubitat always feels like more work than it should be.

Not for me. Mine is largely set and forget

Happy for you.

My point being is we we should work through your issue. Lets start with updating to the latest version of the platform. After you do, do a reboot and pick rebuild database.

After that we can check the usual suspects in the logs and what not.

1 Like

I do appreciate your willingness to help, thank you.

After shutting it down and taking it across the house to test-connect it to one of my wireless pods (to avoid Jumbo Frames on my network switch), it didn’t work. I shut it down again and put it back (connected to the switch again) and it worked. This is a great example of a broader issue I have with Hubitat and also Zwave… things are so unstable that rebooting them a couple of times will mysteriously fix the problem — never mind all the effort put in to figure out what was wrong. You’ll never know what was wrong… but it shouldn’t/wouldn’t have gone wrong in the first place if there was greater care taken for quality in the software. It’s positively maddening to encounter issue after issue, research thoroughly, troubleshoot, only to have it resolve without explanation after a second or third reboot.

Well if you have jumbo frames enabled that will be an issue on a hard wired lan. You can connect it directly to wifi without worrying about jumbo frames at that point.

1 Like

My impression over the last five years is that they take a great deal of care with quality in the software.

That’s not an attempt to deny the impact of the issues you’re experiencing, which are no doubt frustrating and hopefully can be resolved by troubleshooting here in the community (with staff assistance as needed).

But if they were as careless as you’re implying, I think a much greater proportion of users would be having similar problems.

6 Likes

Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately for you, the experience you've had with Hubitat is not representative for the large majority of our users. We would love for everyone to have a great experience, but often things out of our control prevent that to happen.

There are too many variables specific to each and everyone's location that make it impossible for our developers to cover every scenario. This is why we ask users who experience any issues to share as many details as they can about their set-up and exact steps they've taken, so that our engineers can replicate and fix the issue not only for that individual user, but for every user who may stumble into the same exact problem.

3 Likes

@thewinninghams

This introductory post from @jtp10181 gives excellent directions on collecting the type of information that is useful to troubleshoot installations that aren't working.

3 Likes