Cloud Backup

I'm confused. I thought the C7 -> C8 migration "tool" was free. I saw the Hubitat Protect path discussed, but figured it was part of a sales pitch. I didn't know that Hubitat Protect was required for the migration?!?

If you do not have Hubitat Protect, the Zigbee and Z-Wave radio settings are NOT backed up, and therefore after migration to the C8, all your Zigbee devices (and I presume Z-Wave devices) are no longer paired.

Please tell me I'm wrong. I feel like I've been lied to.

I already have Hubitat Administration for $30/yr. I added Protect for another $30/yr to get this migration complete.

It seems to me that a FULL backup and restore (to the cloud or whatever) should be allowed at least once to perform a C8 migration.

I watched the C8 mogration videos where the marketing guy promised a free migration. I hope I'm just missing something, but a search of the community seems to say no.

You are :slight_smile: The migration is free and it covers both Zigbee and Z-Wave devices.

That's exactly how it works.

4 Likes

I did a local backup, but when performing the restore, the radio checkboxes (which you see if restoring from a cloud backup) were not there???

You need to do a cloud backup, not local, so the new hub can find it in the cloud and do the restore. The full backup w/all radio stuff is only in the cloud backup.

Choose this:

3 Likes

I've been doing local backups pretty much every day LOL. I'm part of the beta, and updates to the firmware show up almost daily. I save a local copy of the db, and email it to myself.

If backing up to the cloud is required to capture the radio settings, shouldn't that be emphasized? Perhaps it was, and I just missed it.

It also seems odd that a backup to the cloud includes items (radio settings) that a local backup does not.

That seems pretty emphasized to me. :wink:

7 Likes

Only some C7 users don't get that option? I never saw the C8 migration option when backing up my C7.

The C5/C7 hub must be running 2.3.5.101 (minimum) in order for the option to appear.

3 Likes

It needs to be a backup from the most current release too.

I've been updating my C7 almost daily. I knew it had to be running the latest :-). I shutdown my C7, so I can't check, but it was to the point where I was not waiting for the red icon, and doing a manual check (for a new version).

Hmmm.

I now have Hubitat Protect on my shutdown C7. Do I have to buy it again to get it on the C8?

1 Like

Running the latest firmware to get the C8 migration option seems critical to the migration process.

Was this emphasized and I missed it?

I was running the latest firmware, or at least thought I was, but if the instructions were clear to check for XXX+ version in order to get the C8 migration checkbox, I would have certainly made sure.

I seem to remember it wanting me to run the latest on my C7, but I was absolutely sure I was since I was upgrading the C7 almost every day.

Perhaps running the beta got me twisted around the axle.

1 Like

yup

Interesting; I have the Hubitat Administration, and it appears to cover both my C7 and C8.

Remote Admin covers all hubs on the account.

1 Like

Coming up to speed (sorry, late to the party) on Hubitat Protect and backups.

I thought that Hubitat Protect was cloud backups (vs local). Apparently a decision was made to NOT include radio (Zigbvee and Z-Wave) backups in the local copies.

Re-pairing for many is an option, but for me that involves 22 devices... no small effort.

Feels like the cloud backup option needs to be made even more obvious....? Both in the documentation and the steps for the migration...?

1 Like

Radios have never been part of the Local backup. For migration to the C-8 there is an option, if the hub is on the latest release, to create a Cloud backup for migration without the need for a Hub Protection subscription. Cloud backup is also the only native* backup that includes the File Manager Files.

*There is a community offering for a separate File Manager backup.

3 Likes

Wow, I had no idea the local backups were intentionally crippled to force upselling the cloud service. My estimation of Hubitat just went down by several points.

3 Likes

Could I ask how you know this? Yes cloud backups are the only backups that include radios, but how do you know this was done for upselling as opposed to a technical reason?

1 Like

Please enlighten me as to the 'technical reason'?