Cloud Backup keeps Failing with Incomplete Tasks

I should add that my scheduled backups now don't work either. I should note that I upgraded to 2.3.8.122 yesterday.

Well the problem is I have done an upgrade between that last good backup and now.

The platform upgrade on your C8 after the cloud backup doesn't matter...unless you've added new devices or made significant changes to your automations on your C8 that you can't/don't want to lose, you'll be fine.

Your Pro (when registered to your HE account) will be able to see your last good cloud backup on the C8 and use that backup to migrate. You can update your platform version on the Pro after you finish migration.

If you want to give the migration a try follow the steps below. None of this will change anything on your current hub, you can always fall back to it if you need to.

On the C8:

1. Disable the Z-Wave and Zigbee radios (Disable, NOT reset)
  2. Disable any LAN/Cloud integrations (check the box on the left side of the Apps list next to each integration), e.g., Google, Hue, etc. (I think you've already done this.)
  3. Shut down the old hub and remove power from it

On the Pro:

1. Boot up the Pro and sign in and register it to your HE account.
  2. Skip the Migration option that appears when you first boot up.
  3. Do a platform update on the Pro (Settings>Check for update) to go to .122
  4. Go to Settings>Backup and Restore and select the Cloud Backups tab
  5. If it isn't automatically chosen, select the Migration Ready Backups option in the Show dropdown to display your recent C8 backups availble for Migration (reminder - both your C8 and the Pro need to be registered to the same account):

1. Choose the most recent complete backup and click the Action button to start the restore...make sure you select all the items you want to migrate:

After the migration look at step 9 and other "Notes" content below it in the HE Migration documentation (link below). That contains important info about your LAN/Cloud integrations that may require updating after the restore on the Pro:

Once you've confirmed that your new hub has all your devices and integrations running normally, if you have Hub Protect subscription on your C8, you can transfer the subscription to your Pro. Don't do this until you are sure you are OK on the new hub, as transferring Hub Protect from the C8 to the Pro will delete all cloud backups from the C8.

If you don't like how the migration turns out or have other issues, no loss (other than a little bit of your time). You can factory reset the Pro (or reset the Zigbee/Z-Wave radios individually and do a soft-reset of the hub) and go back to the C8.

2 Likes

The updated Z-Wave Z/IP Gateway is (partly?) what fixes the cloud backups. So possibly your hub did not update itself. You could try this endpoint to force it

HUB.IP/hub/advanced/installZipgateway718

It will spin and then say success or that you already have 7.18.3
Once you get success, wait a minute then run it again to very it worked. Once you get the "already installed" message then reboot the hub.

I tried this method. Honestly most things came back up and are working great...except not the new hub keeps randomly crashing are rebooting.

I think that has more to do with a lock and the lock code manager. However I could be completely wrong.

You could try a reboot (Settings>Reboot) w/the Rebuild Database option that pops up selected to clean up any potential hub database issues.

Enable debug log for the apps/integrations/devices you think may be causing you issues and the next time the hub crashes check logs when it comes back up.

Per @jtp10181's comment above, check the Z-Wave Z/IP Gateway update via the endpoint he provided:

HUB.IP/hub/advanced/installZipgateway718

Thanks everyone for the advice...I have been making some progress. I ran the HUB.IP/hub/advanced/installZipgateway71 and it came back "already installed". Then I removed all codes from the lock manager, and removed the lock manager app. After that I rebooted with the database cleanup option. It came backup. I re-installed the Lock Code Manager app and turned on logging. I tried to add codes and I got errors, but I went to the locks and deleted the codes. Then slowly added them. They all were added.

This is much further than before, however I had another crash and reboot. It may not have been the lock manager and/or lock. I don't really have any errors in the logs. So I don't know what's causing the issues.

The only error is from a Hue Sync Box. This is likely due to the upgrade. dev:20082024-03-01 03:36:08.079 PMerrorhttpGet Exception java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer (Write failed)

I'm not at all familiar w/that Hue sync box integration - what does that do?

When troubleshooting one direct approach is to disable/remove integrations and see if the problems persist. So unless the Hue integration is a must, then I'd disable it and see if the crashes repeat.

Also, let's define the crashes...how do you know the C8-Pro has crashed (symptoms?) and what happens when you try to access it:

• Normally, via it's IP address
  • Via Diagnostic tool (hupIP:8081

I think you said you were rebooting it w/the Hub Diagnostic tool, is that right? Or have you just been pulling the plug and then plugging in again. The latter is a likely cause of future crashes...

I have disable the Hue integration for the time being. A crash for me is the system reboots itself. I'm not pulling power or anything...think BlueScreen.

I think you said you were rebooting it w/the Hub Diagnostic tool, nope only the setting menu.

I am not aware of the HE platform having any ability to reboot itself if the UI / platform crashes. It will just hang. The only cases I can recall where it was rebooting on its own was due to temporary loss in power, usually due to a faulty supply or cable.

1 Like

There really isn't something I can think of that resembles a blue-screen w/the hub. So you're using/looking at the hub screen and then it freezes and reboots? Need some screen caps or pics w/your camera if you can't do screen grabs when it's in the "blue screen" mode.

If you're rebooting w/the Settings menu then the hub is fully accessible. Color me confused...maybe you can clarify. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hmmm…maybe that’s it. I used the power supply and cable from the C8 now with the C8 pro. Let me swap them out and see if that’s the issue.

BTW it’s happening so often I put a notification on it to be notified when it happens.

Good thing to try...

We still need a clear description/pics of what happens. (Assuming the power supply change doesn't help.)

Sorry I responded to the wrong person.

Let me clarify my response. When I choose to reboot it I only do it via the settings menu. However, every 15-30 mins the UI becomes unresponsive, my continuous ping drops 2 packets, and I see the starting up screen.

If a new supply and cable does not resolve it, enter a warranty claim. It should not be rebooting on its own, ever, so its either a faulty supply or a hardware issue as far as I know. Warranty – Hubitat Support

2 Likes

Wow, that is nuts. You do need to try the other power supply.

And what Jeff said.... :point_up_2: :point_up_2:

Again thanks for everyone’s help. Once I get back home I’ll try that.

1 Like

I did swap out the power supply and cable. They are both larger than the previous power supply and cable (thicker). it still happened again 18mins later.

I disabled most apps to see if that solved the issue. On the bright side I can once again create cloud backups! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you guys a ton for your help. I think it’s been resolved. Well no reboots in about 15 hours! Here is what I did:

After I swapped the cable and power supply there was one reboot. At that point I disabled all the apps, but RM, dashboard, and HPM. I waited 30 minutes with no reboots. After that I updated a few things like WebCore and others. Then I started slowly enabling all the apps a few every 30mins. I’m not sure what exactly was causing the issue. If I had to guess it was 1 of three items…or maybe it all three causing issues. Here are I do wonder if it wasn’t getting enough power. Additionally, WebCore was only 1 build behind, but it could have been a big issue. Lastly, my Locks and the Lock Code Manager were a mess because I did the migration with the codes encrypted. One I had to remove completely reset.

Again Thanks for all your help.

From recent testing, power issues w/the C8-Pro appear to be related to voltage fluctuations. So possibly a cable or supply issue affecting that.

Definitely a good thing to clear up. Hope that things stay settled for you.