Chromecast uriQ (message queue stalled)

So there should be no reason for a long weather alert to be truncated correct?

as long as what's being passed in is standard ascii characters...

1 Like

I believe it was related to the "Stop after TTS complete" setting I was using on the GH mini to keep Hubitat from forgetting about the speaker.

I've bumped that timeout setting in 2.0.7 by 50%, hopefully that will help with this.

I've just run some tests and can confirm that "Stop after TTS complete" is absolutely what is cutting off long messages.

@mike.maxwell, the only reason I'm using that setting is because the GH mini gets forgotten by Hubitat sometime during the course of a 24 hour day unless you refresh the device. While I appreciate the extended timeout, I'd rather have the integration fixed.

The library were using is not that great which is why this integration is in beta.
At some point in the future we will likely revisit this it's not a huge priority right now.

Understood and I appreciate the prioritization efforts. Hubitat was good when I bought it and only getting better. There are work around in place, I can live with that for now.

1 Like

With the release of Rule 4.0 I was able to create this rule that has completely solved this issue for me. Hopefully this helps someone.

Why does the triggers have 2 with status and 1 with mediaSource? Just curious.

Great catch. Thanks for pointing that out. My mistake they should all be status for the triggers. You probably just save me a bunch of time trying to figure out what went wrong with that speaker :wink:

Also the two second delay seems to stop the end of the message being cut off. Not sure why it happens with no delay as the status shouldnโ€™t change to idle until after itโ€™s finished playing.

I put together this rule. Do you see anything wrong with it?

I just gave this a try and did some speech through one of the speakers and the mediaSource never changed to None from Hubitat. Does yours return to None?

@tsviper This rule works!

1 Like

Nice! So glad it worked for you. Funny...we have the exact same speaker setup/location :slight_smile:

Looks like it is working really well. Good job and thanks for sharing the rule.

I'm giving this a try. Thanks to @tsviper and @razorwing for creating/tweaking it. My only adjustment is to put the conditional actions in simple conditionals. Any obvious reason why this wouldn't also work as intended?

1 Like

Great! Glad to be of some help. Simple conditionals are what I used and are working fine for me...either way should work.

Looks good to me. It is what I have and it is working great. Haven't lost a speech yet. Fingers crossed.
A way you can test it is to go into the device page for one of the speakers and put a sentence into the speak text box. Press Speak and watch the mediaSource and see if it goes from Hubitat back to None in 5 sec.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice in this thread. It really helped me understand what was going on with the TTS announcements on my GH devices. I was going crazy; not only would I stop getting the announcements, but almost all of my other automations would become really delayed. I would know I needed to to do something when simple lighting automations would be delayed upwards of 30 seconds.

I also have a lot of GH gear - about 18 devices. This really increased the odds I'd encounter a problem. I ended up using 2 RM4 automations based on the the solutions here and another thread.

The first initializes everything every 30 mins.

The second I only run for a smaller group of devices which are used for a majority of the announcements. I allow for a 10 second delay to try to avoid message clipping issues. I do still get some clipped messages if there is a lot of activity at once. The TTS messages are pretty short. But, when a lot hit at once, I'll hear maybe a couple words from one notification before it gets cut off by another notification. This hasn't been enough of an issue for me to worry about.

I think the 30 minute initialize schedule is what has really done the trick. I've left the other rule because I saw some relief from it. I used to have to login to reset GH speakers or reboot Hubitat 1-2 times per week. I don't have to worry about it anymore. I login when I need to apply updates or make some changes.

How did you make your "Google Cast Group" have a Static IP address? I have all 3 of my GH devices as DHCP reserved from my router (essentially a Static IP), but the "Group" that I made in GH has no place to assign an IP and it randomly changes between one of the 3 devices IP.