Choosing a Zigbee repeater

Probably one of the most popular Zigbee repeater devices is the IKEA Tradfri Smart Outlet. It is only $10, and users report great success with these devices. IKEA also sells a dedicated Tradfri Repeater, which is a little smaller.

3 Likes

OK, that's a good tip - I think someone in this thread has suggested that the Tradfry ones weren't any good, but if people are having a positive experience with it then I'll give it a go!

1 Like

I think that @jtmpush18 indicated that the Tradfri control outlet had a terrible radio. I don't have the tools to make that evaluation, but I can say that in my small townhouse, the Tradfri repeater is chosen as a repeater by devices more often than the control outlet.

1 Like

And, I suppose, at that price, one could simply add a few more to the network and then it being a slightly weaker signal wouldn't matter?
I mean, it's only €9! :smiley:

2 Likes

Fair point!

1 Like

Centralite Smartplug Mini

$17, small

Centralite Smart Plug Mini (Works with SmartThings, Wink, Hubitat, Vera Plus, Echo Plus, Home Assistant, and ZigBee platforms) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DFPYV4K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_APE7KS4QARF89VW6J0JP?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

That Centralite is my fav if you don't need power reporting! Small (can put two on one outlet if you need to!) and trusty, never had a single issue w/them.

If you need a repeater for a location where you can't have a wall wart plug due to space or WAF issues, then this is a good option, though a lot more Benjamins.

https://www.amazon.com/Enbrighten-Receptacle-Tamper-Resistant-Controlled-43102/dp/B0842BDN9R/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=zigbee+outlet&qid=1614355757&sr=8-10

1 Like

I believe @robin.staple lives in Austria, so options may be limited.

1 Like

Yes, that's right... Having done a quick Amazon search I think that neither the Centralite nor Enbrighten plugs seem to be available here...

Well that's his problem, not ours!

:wink:

I've heard that electrons spin in the opposite direction down there, so all of the HA gear has to be made backwards.

Oops... :man_facepalming:

Isn't Austria somewhere in the Outback? :wink:

3 Likes

Well, I'm no expert, but I have been to both of them. In my experience they are very different places from each other.

:wink:

But I will admit Australia is a giant country. I didn't see every part if it... So... Maybe? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This may explain why everyone looked at me so strangely when I asked them to "Slip a shrimp on the barbie" when we were in Vienna a couple years ago! :wink:

So back on topic...what does one do for Zigbee repeaters in Austria? Didn't realize something relatively basic was hard to find.

2 Likes

Indeed. Everything in Australia will kill you. Or make a decent attempt at it. Austria, on the other hand, has delicious marzipan.

7 Likes

I like your travel guide. Short, direct, and to the point. Getting rid of my Fodor's guide and going to keep yours. :rofl:

3 Likes

I'm not a fan of marzipan, but I did have excellent chinese food in vienna.

2 Likes

And this is why one of us is a Type 2 diabetic. I have made meals of marzipan :blush:

2 Likes

It is the honey I don't prefer. Never been a fan of the flavor of honey.

1 Like

I have three ST smart plugs sitting on my shelf if anyone would like to buy them.

Removed them so my Aqara would play nice. Also think some of my Sonoff issues were being caused by them.

That's great, Innr smart plugs I can find easily and they're inexpensive too...! OK, so IKEA and Innr, that already sounds great! Thanks! :grinning:

4 Likes