Cheap zigbee motion sensor

I have a few Samsung and Xiaomi motion sensors at home.
Now I need 2 more and I'd like to ask, which of the following 2 is better with Hubitat ?
(I already use the Aqara/Xiaomi one and sometimes it needs a reset, but still usable)

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832835774367.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.17.6bbe4b8exGFecu&algo_pvid=3ca18a5c-7a0f-4bb1-b41a-d8e15a86fbff&algo_exp_id=3ca18a5c-7a0f-4bb1-b41a-d8e15a86fbff-8&pdp_npi=3%40dis!TRY!344.19!261.55!!!!!%40214527fd16829684564578646d07b7!10000000192073262!sea!TR!856905781&curPageLogUid=syqXjPwP2Cj4&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256803001084456.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.3.6bbe4b8exGFecu&algo_pvid=3ca18a5c-7a0f-4bb1-b41a-d8e15a86fbff&algo_exp_id=3ca18a5c-7a0f-4bb1-b41a-d8e15a86fbff-1&pdp_npi=3%40dis!TRY!314.44!157.22!!!!!%40214527fd16829684564578646d07b7!12000027003303678!sea!TR!856905781&curPageLogUid=Iyv9ArbHg4Uv&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

Aqara is definitely much better in my opinion, but it has the well known problems with staying connected to any non-Aqara hub. You need to pair it to the hub via a compatible and always-on Zigbee repeating device.

Tuya PIR sensors are of a lower built quality and a bit less sensitive than the Aqara motion sensors, but they stay connected to any hub without problems.

2 Likes

I have a few of the Tuya sensors. I've had them for a few months and so far no problems. I like the small size.

1 Like

thank you.

As I wrote in OP I have experience with Aqara but not Tuya.
From what you wrote, I understand that Tuya is better than Aqara for stable connection.

You need to pair it to the hub via a compatible and always-on Zigbee repeating device.

What do you mean by that ?
For example, I have Aqara sensors in my bedroom and also 2 zigbee power outlets from Samsung. They must be acting as a repeating device. But how can I force Aqara sensors to connect over the Samsung outlets ?

Also, I have 2 spare Samsung sensors but I don't want to use them because they are the model with CR2470 batteries and since I can't find 2470, I use them with CR2450 and these deplete batteries too quickly.
How is battery performance of Tuya sensor ? What type of battery it uses and at what period do we have to replace batteries ?

@kkossev ?

I have a tuya that gets triggered 5 or 6 times a day that was installed 3 months ago. The CR2032 battery is still 100 percent.

1 Like

Indeed, they are, that why I'm waiting for next gen of Aqara various sensors designed for Matter/Thread, having hope, that this time there will no problems with compatibility.

They are not exactly cheap, but you may find used at eBay: the Philips Hue sensors are a great choice at intermediary price.

Hi. Just be very careful with your repeaters and Aqara devices. Linked below is my pain that I experienced from a Samsung outlet. There is a link within specifically around these devices and what you need to be aware of. They work great when within a supporting mesh, but don't play nicely with others :stuck_out_tongue:

Constant loss of connectivity to Xiaomi devices - :bellhop_bell: Get Help - Hubitat

@AlanB

I'm sorry but I really could not understand.
How can I force a zigbee device (Aqara motion sensor) to connect through a specific zigbee repeater (samsung power outlet) ?

@ilkeraktuna see one method here :

:exclamation: this may be the reason for your problems :exclamation:

Read carefully this classic write-up :

2 Likes

Hi. I don't believe it is possible to force a connection. Up to the devices and the mesh. I didn't have any problems with my Aqara devices connecting directly to HE (C7 model) and ran stable for ages (until I introduced a Samsung outlet). You could always just try and see if the system is stable. If not and you need an outlet, IKEA are cheap and work well with Aqara.
What I was getting at in my post and @kkossev reinforced, was that having a Samsung outlet on your mesh will most likely cause you a lot of problems so avoid that with Aqara.
I ended up buying another hub and now have 2, with 1 dedicated to Aqara and compatible repeaters and the other where I connect all my non-Aqara devices (like my Samsung outlets).

1 Like

interesting.
so you say that if I remove Samsung zigbee outlets , I will have a more stable connection with Aqara devices.
I just have 2 of these power outlets, and I can easily replace them with Tuya ones.
(I can't find IKEA zigbee devices where I live)

But then I understand that I should not increase the number of Aqara devices. Since they have issues with several other devices, we can't call the "other" devices "problematic". Aqara is the one which has problems...