Change z-wave from s2 to No security < Without losing apps?

Yes the double swap via virtual device is probably easier (less technical).

I would just do the exclusion, do not factory reset, that is how you can make a ghost on accident.
After you exclude confirm the device and node was removed from z-wave details before you try to include it back.

1 Like

Ok .. trying now will let you know LOL Wish me luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Agree, at this point I don't think there's any evidence that using S2 on the newer HE platform versions\Z-Wave firmware versions is a problem. I think the old if it ain't broke applies here.

:person_shrugging: People do what they want. My philosophy is if someone asks a question I can give my thoughts on it, but will still answer the question. If I say its a bad idea and they do it anyway what can you do... Its not like I am giving people instructions on how to commit a crime.

2 Likes

Yep my message was a no way directed towards you, and if someone's going to do this it certainly best to do it the right ways, the way you laid it out.

My comments are focused the folks who may peruse this topic and think oh I need to do that too. Just want to make sure it's clear you don't need to do that. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

THANKS GUYS .. IT WORKED :slight_smile:
I was always way freaked out doing anything with z-wave seeing all the problems people have.
I guess I wanted to try because of the shitty z-wave network i have hoping this will help.
Also just to see if I could do it without messing up my system lol

I also saw this that Stated this ..

There are several advantages of joining Z-Wave devices in non-secure mode:

• respond faster
  • have better range
  • don't require special repeaters
1 Like

That post of BobbyD's is 5.5 years old, and is (IMHO) no longer applicable in today's world of 700/800 z-wave devices and hubs.

2 Likes

Well fine be that way .. I still wanted to try it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You bet - nothing wrong with experimenting! But with a C7 or C8+ hub, there's nothing to fear about S2 (assuming decent mesh etc).

1 Like

Well that's kinda of the problem for me .. I only have 6 z-wave devices.

Well .. that's weird only : one of the three devices I tryed to convert to s0 worked.
two of them re-added as s2 automatically. and one of the org. s2 devices that i didnt change
is now a s0 device WTF LOL

Some would argue that reliability is better with S2.

1 Like

Why on God's green earth would you want to use S0 security? Either use S2 or no security at all. S0 uses three times the amount of network traffic as no security.

Unless you are confusing S0 with no security?

Do you still have them in Smart Start? They will rejoin by themselves if you do.

1 Like

Garage floods changed like i wanted .. but now the front door contact is s0 ! lol
[Z-WAVE - GARAGE SCONCES]
[Z-WAVE - BACKYARD]
Re-added them selfs as s2 automatically. I didnt pick it.

Ummm .. No Idea .. but all three are the same switch ..
how do i tell ?

Yes NO security sorry ..

1 Like

None is None, not S0, you are confused.
S0 is a different type of security, the first security available on Z-wave and it should be avoided.
None is no security.

The mobile app, you would have had to have scanned the QR code into the smart start list. That is the only way a device could include by itself as S2 Auth without you typing in the DSK. As long as its in the SS list it will just keep rejoining every time you exclude it.

2 Likes

Fo sho - count me among them!

1 Like

Ok .. thats still weird cause like i said .. they are all the same kind of switch.
I do not think i used the qrl code on any of them .. i think ,, its been awile now ..
i entered the numbers. on the code. on all three.

That maybe true .. but because of my system setup .. they were getting very high Route Changes
Like 15-30 times per few days. and would kick in and out of working.
Sooooo .. I thought I would try NO security just for testing.
Or I am just going to replace all of them with zibee .. but This cost 0.0$ to try :slight_smile: