Change IP address

I thought setting static IP's was a fairly new feature for HE.
Did you maybe set a reserved IP in your router that now needs to be deleted?

4 Likes

This

this tomayto, tomahto networking is killing me. :rofl:

1 Like

It's a new router... just installed it today. DHCP range is far from where I am trying to put this hub.

In that case you set you computer to static in order to talk to the hub on the old IP subnet, right? Sorry just trying to see where we are at. If you have all the IP's and subnet it would help answer some ???s

Have you tried a incognito /private window to make sure it's not cache?

Yes. The PC is on the same subnet... not much choice because Hubitat wont allow the Net Mask to be changed from 255.255.255.0 (which sucks btw). I can talk to the Hubitat... just cant change the IP address. I am trying to change it to a different subnet, but it wont move.

Right now the PC is on 192.168.1.75 and the Hub is on 192.168.1.80

Did you try the reset button on the hub?

Reset to DHCP , then set to static again maybe?

Might have to... I'll have to configure some Vlan settings on a network switch to make sure it lands on the right subnet... This is really lame

Use DHCP reservations, much easier than static for exactly this reason.

Deja Vu

that was exactly why I was trying to set it statically

It looks like it is not possible to change subnets simply by entering a fixed IP address from a different subnet. This is probably somehow related to the fixed network mask thing... which is a real problem.

I have a network that has grown so large that there is no way to keep it all in one subnet. We all will get there eventually. To be stuck with this fixed single subnet is horrible.

No "we" won't. :slight_smile:

Many of us with a lot of devices use multiple VLANs/multiple subnets instead of one giant one.

That said, I would still like Hubitat to make the subnet mask adjustable.

2 Likes

I'm up to 3 Vlans right now. :wink:

And you still have >253 devices in a single VLAN? wow

I have almost 200 IPs in use, but across 4 VLANs, so all are just /24 in size.

I was trying to move this down to 192.168.0.x all afternoon ... it simply wont let me.

I would give it a DHCP address on the new subnet first, then change it to static after. It very well could be the subnet difference that is ticking it off.

2 Likes

You can lead a horse to water....

1 Like

In re-reading this thread you are way over thinking it. You don't need VLANs to talk across IP subnets, if each device has the same static info. We set BS IP's all the time to reconfigure devices.

However, I still see no valid reason you shouldn't reset the $#@% hub to DCHP and set a DCHP reservation.

Do you just want to make things difficult?

EDIT: sorry long day. I'll move on now

2 Likes

I would love to do that... It wont let me.

So you held the reset button for 10 seconds and it did not reset? Just want to be clear.

It came right back up where it was, even though I changed settings. The new settings were still in there, but they were ignored