Chamberlain MyQ Garage Door Support [OUT OF DATE]

Then use a z-wave momentary switch or relay. The Remotec you linked to would work, as would the FortrezZ MIMOLite. Or, you can use any z-wave receptacle and write a momentary driver for it (or use Rule Machine).

Hello - I recently bought a MyQ hub to control my garage door. I quickly discovered that you can't trigger the door to open using google or IFTTT, which was what I wanted most from it. After finding this hubitat plugin for MyQ, I decided to join the Hubitat club. I've added the app and driver code, but am having trouble when trying to connect it to the MyQ. It says I can choose to use a door sensor to detect status or to create discrete on/off buttons. I didn't have a sensor available, so I chose the discrete on/off buttons, but when I continue past that step I get this error:

Summary

Installation Details:

There was a problem updating devices: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot get property 'deviceNetworkId' on null object. Line number: 668 Last successful step: Sensor Indexing

What am I doing wrong?

Hi Steve - whose app & driver are you using? You should be using the ones from @dman2306, which have been updated to work with the latest version of the MyQ API. Also, this version, will require you to use a contact or tilt sensor directly paired to Hubitat.

I think I downloaded from that repo, but using some direct links I found up a bit further in the thread, so now that I see the readme, it's possible I didn't get the right driver version.

So you're saying that all of the stuff on that github page about setting it up without a sensor is no longer accurate? I can add sensors at some point, I just wanted to get it working initially as a proof of concept before investing more into it. Just to be able to trigger the opener from the hubitat, without being able to see the status. Guess not.

Hubitat can definitely trigger open

$20 gets you what you need to satisfy the requirement for the driver (which is the same for SmartThings btw)

I see some posts above suggesting that the smartthings multisensor doesn't work for this anymore, is that right? What kind of $20 sensor would work for this use case? I'm trying to envision how I would install a contact sensor on the garage door..

I just set this up using the ST Multisensor and it works fine. It will get picked up using the native driver. You just need to set up the sensor and select the "Do you want to use this sensor on a garage door? (use without magnet) " option.

I have the ST sensor too, and it works fine.

This great! Would you mind posting a picture on how it's setup on your garage door? -Thanks!

Any reason we cant use the API to get open/closed states?

The only negative I see here is that we would have to poll the servers periodically to get state, whereas a sensor could provide state immediately. My guess is that the myq device pushes status to the cloud as it learns of it.

The MyQ EULA doesn’t permit this. It would certainly “work” but they have blocked IPs from accessing the api in the past, this happened with Smarthings years ago.

1 Like

I assume you mean because we would have to poll it frequently?

Yup. And if you set the frequency to be too long, say 5 minutes, then is it even valuable?

How does home assistant do it?

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying you're not allowed to do it. Seeing as how MyQ has said their policy (that we all accepted probably without reading it) says you can't do it, I'm not going to code something that violates their license.

2 Likes

Here's a picture of the MyQ sensor with the Samsung sensor (currently $16.99 on Amazon US) next to it.

1 Like

The ST multisensor works, I just changed from the no-sensor to the sensor and the ST. However, it only reports Closed when vertical and Open when horizontal. There's no good trip point for a partially opened door with this single sensor.

I understand I was just wondering.

They made it sound like they weren't polling but listening for changes? But I really don't know how they do it.

Hmm if they are that sounds interesting. I’ll take a look

Yes it’s definitely “possible” but that doesn’t mean the api is opened up to the rest of the world

1 Like