Centralite Pearl Thermostat

I have mine the same.. If you don't put the batteries it complains the whole time ..

I'm actually using mine for a multi-room temperature zone control setup and just have a 24VAC adapter on these and not an actual A/C unit

1 Like

This is exactly what I found when I had my 2 Pearls installed. The battery level on both t-stats always reported 80% even with fresh batteries. It's one of the reasons why I switched them out for KONOz t-stats. My KONOz t-stats have been installed since January and the battery level reporting is accurate, with both having dropped to 95% just recently.

1 Like

My Pearl also reports the batteries at 80 (%?). Since the thermostat power comes from the boiler transformer the batteries are not used. So I considered 80 as the maximum the thermostat can measure and the battery voltage is above that.
Similar to some older automotive fuel gauges, you could fill the tank until the gauge indicated Full then add a gallon or more above that point.

1 Like

I have no C wires at each of my t-stats. They run on battery only. The Pearls were the only ones I've used that never reported their battery levels above 80.

You could use this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L4DN5R2

I use these to supply 24VAC so I don’t have to run thermostats on battery

I would think the real question would be. Does the battery indicator report battery voltages lower than 80 in a relatively linear fashion? i.e. will there be enough low voltage reports for you to recognize the situation before the thermostat goes dead.

Thanks. I know that these are available. I don't use the Pearls anymore so it's not an issue. Besides, I don't have outlets near either of my thermostats that would make these feasible.

It's not an issues for me, as I no longer have the Pearls in use. I was just pointing out that of all the t-stats I've tried and currently use, they were the only ones that exhibited this behavior.

This is what I do, works really well.

fwiw, I'm using the custom driver from Denise (June 29, 2018) so that the thermostat's Hold button is available and will override scheduler commands. Further, I have a virtual switch so the Hold button can appear in a dashboard, along with rules for the VS to mirror the physical button, and the physical button to mirror the VS. A bit finicky but works great.

@josh ... I know this is super old and likely of no real value to you, but out of curiosity I tried adding this to the custom driver by Denise.

thermostatSetpoint assumed an initial value equal to heatingSetpoint at the time (thermostat is in heat mode), but would not update at all to any subsequent changes.

1 Like

This thermostat looks really promising, I currently have Sensi thermostats and while I've never had any issues with them I really want something I can integrate with HE. Would everyone recommend their Pearl thermostat?

Thanks to everyone who put together the code for this.

I am using 2 for radiant floor heating - have no complaints but my use-case is relatively simple. I have nests for the other zones. If I were to do it over again I might consider the "Honeywell T6 Pro Z-Wave".

1 Like

Much depends on what you want out of the thermostat. I've been using a Pearl for about a year-and-a-half, and it has been perfect for my needs. The Pearl is simple! It doesn't have any built-in scheduling, cloud features, or even auto-changeover(switching mode between heat and cool). You have to tell it exactly what you want, when you want it. I do everything through Rule Machine.

Just make sure the ones that might interest you are compatible with your HVAC system(stages,fan speeds, etc.)

2 Likes

I've had my Pearl for about 1 1/2 years and its solid. Never a hiccup. One of the things I really like (and it seems to be unique to the Pearl) is the ability to set both the min and Max temperatures for heating and cooling. This is done in the setup so it is not available to small fingers finding the digital thing interesting. Or if a rule coding error sets the tstat to really cold during the winter or maybe just as bad... really hot in the summer.

Most thermostats only allow the max heat and min cooling. However the min heating temperature is important if one is leaving the home.

John

3 Likes

Thanks all - purchased one from someone on the forums here and purchased another from eBay. I have one already and installed it but running into an issue where the OperatingState is always showing as Idle even though the thermostat is running. It's cooling fine and all of the commands I send to it work properly but the OperatingState just doesn't show correctly.

Which driver are you using? The built-in generic zigbee thermostat, or the one in this thread?

I was using the generic at first, but switched to the one in this thread and still seeing the Idle state.

** EDIT - @aaiyar I didn't hit the refresh button in the device after switching the driver. Once I did that new states showed up and now it says it's running.

1 Like

I'm looking to purchase this thermostat. How easy was it to get paired with Hubitat? Anyone have any screens of what the temperature settings, adjustments look like from a dashboard?

I have one battery powered for our den floor and one C-wire powered for our master bath. I am using them for in floor radiant. Don't use the dashboard or have any rules set up yet and it's been a while. They work fine though. Pairing was easy.

I'm looking into replacing 2 in my house that are currently controlled by the power company. They keep constantly changing the temps in our house and I'm ready to get new ones as replacements. Just wanted to make sure you can use Hubitat to change the temps, turn on/off the units too from a dashboard.