Centralite Pearl Thermostat

Sweet, I just called them and they are replacing it for me. I didn't expect anyone to pick up on the weekend.

I tried that number yesterday and got a "this number is no longer in service" message. So I figured they were done for good.

1 Like

Was it a recent purchase?

My first post, so I hope it comes across right, LOL

I started my HVAC system with a Nest but switched to an Ecobee due to the Nest API issue and now have gone to the Pearl, because the Ecobee cloud is junk.

I just wanted to share what I do with mine so that it may fuel some ideas for you all.

My system consists of the Pearl Thermostat, 17 Keen Vents (connected directly to HE), 6 AEOTEC multisensors, and 5 fire tablets (3 in the bedrooms and 2 at each entrance).

I run all the HVAC devices on a separate 'child' HE hub connected to the 'master' via hub connect.

The Keen vents are managed by the Keenect Master app.

All the tablets run fully kiosk with SharpTools dashboards and act as thermostats for each room and receive sensor data from the AEOTECs in each room. The virtual thermostats are managed by the Thermostat Scheduler app and are also able to be manually set by a user in the room for their comfort.

I have programmed RM with four separate rules to manage the system.

The first rule monitors the weather conditions for temperature and also monitors the individual room temperature. This rules function is to switch the system from AC to Heat and back as needed depending on conditions. We live in the south where the AC maybe needed during the day but the heat is wanted at night. This rule does this automatically by pausing and resuming two others rules (Cooling Control and Heating Control). The heating and cooling rules take the temperatures from each room and run them through and algorithm. It figures out the required temperature for the main thermostat (Pearl) to achieve the requested temperature in a particular room. This while Keenect manages the Keen vents closing them where the temperature is at the requested temperature.

The fourth rules syncs the operating modes of the Pearl with the virtual thermostats, so they stay in mode sync.

This system is able to maintain a consistent temperature and allows the people in the house to set their room exactly how they want it.

1 Like

Yes. Within the last 8-12 months. Ezlo also bought FortrezZ around the same time, and Vera about 6 months before that.

1 Like

Interesting, I didn't know they bought Vera also. They have some work ahead of them. :blush:

Not sure if you are asking about EZLO purchasing Centralite, or me purchasing the thermostat. But, I bought the thermostat in November and just installed it last week.

I was asking when you had purchased as it seemed like they gave you new one rather quickly.

John

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing. There were just a few minutes between posts so I thought, "Hmm, they must not have even attempted troubleshooting."

I already did all of the troubleshooting they were asking me to do over the phone. So they just decided to replace it.

1 Like

After reading through this entire discussion, which seems to have fizzled in January--
Is it resolved? Is the Centralite Pearl fully functional with HE?

I bought a pair of Pearl thermostats, hoping to control them via the Home Assistant platform. Turns out, support is still in development there. I'd be willing to switch to Hubitat if there's a fully functioning driver with these thermostats.

Thanks.
Jack

Short answer: The generic Zigbee Thermostat driver works. The issue is that the Centralite Pearl does not have an automatic setting that would enable it to change over from heat to cool and back as needed during Spring and Fall when the weather is so variable. I tried. During the time I was trying, my Zen started to behave again, so it is mounted back on the wall and the Pearl is an emergency backup.

The one at the beginning of the thread was posted in March '18. Where can I find the June '18 version?

I chose the Pearl thermostats because they were on Hubitat's List of Compatible Devices, reasonably priced, and not ugly. :frowning: But not having automatic switching will definitely be a deal breaker. What good is automation without that?

Thanks, all.

In my house, we keep the same set-points all year (72 cooling, 68heating). A simple rule to do the changeover has worked perfectly for a year and a half.

4 Likes

Centralite gave me my money back after 2 failed thermostats. I have a cheap spare Honeywell in place now, but will replace it with an Ecobee

@bjcowles My needs are a bit more complex as we have home and away set points in addition to day/night setpoints. Your rule does give me hope that I can figure out a way to automate the changeover when it is appropriate if I need to put the Pearl back on the wall. Thank you.

1 Like

@bjcowles
So, it appears from your RM, that you really can switch from mode Heat to mode Cool and vice versa.
Is that correct?

Yes. The thermostat does not have a built-in capability to automatically switch on its own. It needs to be changed with some sort of rule, a scheduler app, or physically at the thermostat.

It doesn't sound like too much of an imposition - to make up a rule to switch between mode heat and mode cool.
Especially since you can make the rule so that it's dependent on the outside temperature, and you can have it switch automatically for you.
In my humble opinion, this thermostat has 3 things going for it:

1. It looks OK. (Others look better, but it's not awful).
  2. It's Zigbee (for those who want that flavour of ice cream).
  3. It very inexpensive. (can be had for less than $50USD in many places).
3 Likes

I actually prefer my thermostats to be pretty dumb.. And have full control over them in my rule logic..

Would rather have the logic @ the hub rather than the device

2 Likes

I've said it in the past, the thing I really like is the fact that it is dumb. It only does what you tell it to. I've always had a fear of "fighting" what smart thermostats think I want.

In the spirit of full disclosure, mine is powered by C-wire. They suggest keeping the 4 AA batteries in it to preserve settings during an outage. The battery reports have always been 80% for the year and a half I've owned it. So out of curiosity I changed them recently, and it still reported 80%. The old batteries tested at between 1.51 and 1.53 volts each. I have no idea how this thermostat behaves when powered strictly by battery.

1 Like