Centralite leak sensors eating batteries?

Just curious if anyone else is using these leak sensors and if so do they absolutely eat through batteries? I’m finding with the 4 or 5 I have, they die with 3 or 4 months. Gotten to the point where I’m about ready to toss them. Not sure if I just got a bad batch or if others have experienced the same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072DYHPY7?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_XZ1591M696N1XCGM7AY1

I have one of these, and am not experiencing that kind of battery run down.

I'm frankly not sure which of my leak sensors are Centralite, as I didn't think to note in the names of the devices which were which. However, all of my leak sensors batteries are currently reported at at 75% or higher after a full year, so the Centralite is at least as good as that for me.

Maybe reset them and join them back to your hub...they'll rejoin w/the same name and continue to work in any automations you've added them to.

1 Like

I have about 8 Iris v2 3315-L leak sensors, which were all made by Centralite. They use a CR2 battery. I typically get 12-24 months of battery life from them.

2 Likes

Agree with @ogiewon. I have around 20 of them and batteries last over a year. I will say they have terrible battery reporting and report 0% for months even though they still work.

1 Like

Interesting, not sure why this is happening to this batch. Very strange.

I wonder if putting some repeaters into play close to them would help.

2 Likes

I’ve read somewhere here that Zigbee end devices have a higher power mode that’s used if the connection is weak.

1 Like

I notice the same in z-wave. Case in point, battery in door lock drains much more quickly when route is directly to hub vs going through the repeater next to it.

I don’t think it’s a mesh issue, my zigbee mesh is pretty robust, my house isn’t overly large, and I’ve got 2 separate repeaters in close proximity to these devices. I’m pretty confident it’s not a signal issue.

Not that it’s a fair comparison, but I have Iris v2 motion and contact sensors all over my house and they don’t have issues with either signal or with battery life.

Crappy batteries can also be a cause..I've seen some drain really quickly but better quality ones lasting forever.

2 Likes

I never see anything routing through a repeater just because it’s close to it. The most often used repeaters seem to always be ones that are about 1/3 the distance from the hub to the device, and possibly nearby repeaters if they have a strong connection to those near the hub. If your repeaters work with the Tradfri drivers, you can see what child devices are connected to them by hitting the “get route table” button on the device page.

1 Like

Similar results for me as well...placing a repeater very close to the device seems to guarantee it will ignore the repeater.

1 Like

Z-Wave is a little more locked in but the latest fw seems to have helped at least a little. For Z-Wave, yeah the 1/3rd rule seems like a good one. Also keep in mind the 4 hop max limit.

Zigbee mesh is a lot more dynamic (and no hop limit outside the ?32? max for the hub) and routes can jump as necessary so repeaters "everywhere" would seem like a good thing.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

I appreciate the effort to troubleshoot, but I’m pretty confident I don’t have any issues with my zigbee mesh. I have experienced 0 issues with any of my other 50 zigbee devices, these 5 leak sensors are distributed throughout the house and all show similar behavior. My Samsung branded leak sensor work without issue, as do all my Iris v2 motion and contact sensors.

Battery wise, I have some Panasonic branded batteries in them, so it shouldn’t be a cheap battery issue.

Either way, it sounded like others are using these devices without issue, so it’s apparently a “me” issue in some way.

2 Likes

Very strange, I agree and sorry we don't have any wise words to help.

If I had this issue, I would blame @erktrek, but maybe that's just me.

2 Likes

I have a centralite water sensor what drivers are being use? I'm using a generic zigbee water and it doesn't seem to be working correctly? Thanks

The generic driver is the right one.

Try hitting the "Configure" button on the device page and then Refresh.

What is displaying on the Device page in Current States?

1 Like

Thanks I didn't do that. Senior moment and they are happening more and more.

1 Like

My wife says I've been having a "senior moment" for the last three or four years... :wink:

Just an FYI on these Centralite/Lowes Iris V2 leak sensors... I have a bunch of them, but they don't seem to reliably report their battery status updates very frequently, if at all for me. So, I create a RM rule that calls their REFRESH command about once or twice a week (senior moment, can't recall the exact frequency. :wink: ) I have found this to help greatly with keeping the battery level attribute updated with current data.

1 Like