Ceiling fan only control with speed?

Me too. I have 3 that have been sitting in a box for 15 months while in a rental home. The house I am moving into tomorrow has 7 ceiling fans. I'm leaning towards the Zooz as the best option but I have a Lutron fan switch to test also. All of mine have constant power to fan motor, switched lights & pull chains currently so wiring changes will be required.

1 Like

Correct you are. I have the same setup, but we also don't ever touch the light and it's just hot all the time. I have the Inovelli Fan/Light controlling the fan and programmed the Inovelli light button to control lights elsewhere in the room( virtual 3 way). I have a Hue dimmer where the light switch would have gone. I 3D printed a special cover plate, 1 decora outlet and a well to hold the Hue dimmer in place of where the light switch would have been.

Unless I am misreading this is an on/off switch with a higher load amperage rating. I don’t believe it has speed control.

I can't say you're reading it wrong since it's actually pretty hard to find on the page, but it is a three-speed (or two in non-neutral setups) control switch, not just on/off. It's basically their 2-in-1 dimmer but for fan control instead, so it can be set up as on/off if you want (maybe for an exhaust fan) but can work either way.

People looking for a ceiling module (like the KoF/HBFC or LZW36) might also be interested in this project they just announced: Zigbee Fan Canopy Module | Project Cheryl - So Hot Right Now - Inovelli Community

2 Likes

Both are in the same 2 gang box. But speaking elusive, the builder really screwed up here (there wasn’t enough romex to move it :(. To make matters worse, the first one is for the fan.

I’m probably better off just doing a single on/off zooz and linking it to a pico I’m going to put here.

1 Like

I have the GE one. It works fine. I set the fan to high and removed the pull cord. It’s difficult to operate manually (can’t tell what setting it’s at), though, so not the best option if family members or guests are going to be using it manually.

Slightly off-topic, but I have started replacing my fans with WAC fans, which are super quiet and have a great community-built app

I assume for the Lutron switch nothing special is needed on the fan side? Can I use the middle button in Hubitat to do something else (I have the pro hub and lots of picos). But I only have picos; no other Lutron gear.

Correct. Nothing needed in the fan canopy. All of the devices that I linked are designed to work with AC Fan Motors, not the more modern DC motors.

If you fan has a pull-chain to adjust the fan speed, then it is 99% likely to have an AC motor.

With a Caseta Fan Controller + a Pico Remote, you won’t even need to use Hubitat to link the two. You can directly pair the Pico to the Caseta Fan controller. This way you’ll have fan control even if your HE hub is down for any reason.

As for the middle button on the actual Caseta Fan Controller, that can only be used as a “favorite” fan speed. That button does not get sent as a unique event to the Hubitat hub. In fact, none of the buttons on a Caseta Fan Controller, Switch, or Dimmer get sent to the Hub. Instead, the hub receives ON, OFF, and LEVEL updates. For the Fan Controller, the LEVEL updates get translated to Fan Speeds.

The Pico Remotes are implemented as Button Controller devices.

1 Like

It absolutely has speed control.

1 Like

Thanks for the pics! Can you also send a pic of the fan itself? That will affect the available options.

It's not zwave or zigbee but works flawlessly in up to 6 fans, integrates with hubitat and alexa...

https://www.amazon.com/Automation-Ceiling-Fireplace-through-Control/dp/B071GVGVVH

Bill

I’ve got a Bond, but only my outdoor fan supports a remote.

If you have an old retired fan with RF remote you can recycle the smart parts in another fan. I've done that a couple of times. I just use pull cord to put on high then the Bond controller via RF to the fan. If the RF reaches there may still be an option.

I actually have an extra RF kit from an old fan. You can have it. Just PM me if you want it. (Pay for shipping)

Bill

That’s awfully nice of you. Would something like this work?

https://amzn.to/45vwkAo

I think the small units should fit in this fan.

Yes, it should. The larger 1 is what I have as an extra.

The Dane is not included :slight_smile:

1 Like

See above. I'm trying to determine if Lutron is worth it over these boxes that go over the fan. I can get 2 fan modules for $22 on Amazon, and a Lutron is about $30 on Amazon. One option needs the Bond (which I have) the other needs the Lutron Bridge (which I have). Lutron seems cleaner as it's not RF to the fan itself like the Bond implementation would be.

It's not an apples-to-apples comparison is it? The Lutron fan switch only controls the fan, not the lights while the solutions like the Inovelli or wifi module options can control lights and fan speed. I have new Lutron fan switch sitting on a box; I haven't installed it yet so I could be wrong.

I HATED jamming the Inovelli module into the fan canopy at my previous house and am dreading and having to do it again in new house.

One feature of the Lutron fan speed control switch that I like is the 4 LEDs on the side of the switch that show the fan speed. You can tell at a glance what speed the switch/fan is set. On some of the other switches the speed setpoint is not so evident. You have to wait until the fan comes up to speed then adjust it again if it is not what you want. I also like the middle button that is used to set the favorite speed.

1 Like

Has not shipped yet.

just fyi, They are shipping now