Catastrophic Crash and why you need to purchase HUB PROTECT

Yah, I definitely don't think mine was the norm, but it does make me think twice about relying on it. I think it took me about 10- 15 hours across a week to get everything (mostly) back to normal and working correctly. I still have a hue indoor sensor I need to re-pair, but it's not exactly in use at the moment and I would need to move some dog cages to get to it, so it hasn't been a priority, though I am beginning to think about trying to automate that room again.

1 Like

Still not great that local backups are not complete backups.

2 Likes

I bought a C-8 and I transferred my Hub Protect over from my C-5 thru the end of the term

1 Like

Ironic that I just read this because my hub two days ago suddenly became completely unresponsive. I’ve had this for probably 5 years now and never once had this issue. Fortunately a simple reboot got everything up and running again.

My ongoing theory about a subscription model for Hubitat is that they’ve made such an overall solidly-performing device that their revenue stream might hurt as a result. While I don’t subscribe to the Hub Protect, I’m supportive of their decision to offer a subscription because I think it is helping them and everyone else to continuously provide a decent product and people do need to make a living.

2 Likes

I do find it funny when some people complain about Hubitat's decisions around this offering (not that recent poster's have complained necessarily... ). I've spent more on my Phillips Hue setup and there's no backup and restore from what I understand, but I can't say I have checked.

My Z devices are all Zigbee, split between a Hue bridge which has the majority, a dozen or so contact sensors and buttons paired to HE and a similar number paired to a Z2M instance. So for me, re-configuring devices following some kind of catastrophic failure on HE, or any of the platforms involved, would be inconvenient, but not worth paying an ongoing fee. Splitting the risk and the setup between platforms in this way offers some level of comfort for me, while increasing the risk of an incident admittedly, but one I am prepared to wear.

So, each to their own.... Like has been mentioned earlier, Hub Protect is still a relatively new offering and was not always available. Ultimately it is a commercial call on Hubitat's part... If enough customer's don't like it, I'm sure they'll adjust, but for now it is the customer's call as to whether they are happy with what is on offer, like any other platform.

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

I had needed to use the cloud restore several times; and like the others; my results have been stellar.

After taking a cloud backup I have always made it a practice to download those cloud backups to my local NAS using the Diagnostic Tool utility. Several times I have tested a restore using the Backup and Restore screens and selecting a file hosted on HE infrastructure . They worked perfectly. No surprise there.

I repeated the exact same process, including using the same cloud backup file but this time the file was copied to and hosted on my local NAS. The restore worked but it did not restore the Z-Wave radio data. I suspect it would not have restored the Zigbee data either but I don't have any Zigbee devices so I am not sure. I am assuming not restoring the radio and other data if the cloud restore is not on HE Infrastructure is by design for some reason.

Although an option is provided to download cloud backups, maybe I am mistaken and downloaded cloud backups to your own local storage cannot be used and I should not expect to completely recover a hub using locally stored cloud backups. These locally-stored files are not valid for conducting a complete system recovery.

Thoughts / what am I doing wrong / comments appreciated,

Thanks,
Don

This is not possible and explains the rest of your problems. Local and cloud backups are different, cloud backups are only accessible on the cloud (so whatever you downloaded was not one of them), and they are also the only type that contain the radio data necessary to completely restore the radios in this manner.

2 Likes

The "Download backups" link in the Diagnostic Tool only provides access to local backups, not the cloud backups.

Thanks everyone for you help. It makes complete sense now.

The only reason I was doing it was because the cloud backups "roll off" at what ever interval selected. In my case I had it set to daily to capture a lot of changes I was making.

One day I just happen to look at the z-wave table and; although it was empty, devices were routing and responding. I cold booted the hub and they re-appeared. This caused me to start copying what I though were cloud backups locally so I would have more to restore from. I was concerned something would happen like this again and the problem would propagate itself across all the backup pool and I would not have a good backup to restore from. I have since changed to backup interval to Weekly. I now check the z-wave table weekly and conduct other "spot" checks to make sure an issue does does not occur across the entire backup pool. For some reason the z-wave table scares me the most :-(.

I don't know how to "tag" support to ask this question but also what does the community think about the need to allow those individuals who have Hub Protect to allow them to download the cloud backups locally. Maybe it could be setup to check for a valid Hub Protect license key when restoring one of of these locally hosted cloud backup files? Even if there is a limitation on how much can be downloaded each much to throttle the bandwidth to HE infrastructure. Maybe an additional fee? Call it HE Protect PLUS?. Most of us have put so much effort into automation. I wouldn't mind the extra effort and expense to protect it even farther. Of course I welcome the additional option included in the current HE Protect coverage ;-).

Anyway, sorry for the long thread, the most important thing is THANK YOU again so much for the response. Very helpful and appreciated.

Don

2 Likes

It's been stated a number of times that this won't happen.

• Would I like this? Yes
  • Do I think they will ever do that? Probably not
  • What is the alternative if I "have to have" the radio backups locally? Get an RPi + Zwave Stick and use Z-Wave JS, or a few other zwave subsystems, that can do radio backup/restore and bring the data back into Hubitat via mqtt or home assistant connector. You trade off the cost for sweat equity/complexity.
1 Like

Thank you both. Was unaware of the prior discussions. Sorry about that. I will look into the option provided by Jason. Appreciate that.