Cartoons (& Memes & Weird Funny Stuff) of Hubitat

Brand new box of 5-1/4 but I think I have a handful of 8's in storage

7 Likes

Those were some of the most truthful diskettes... :slight_smile:

Ah, memories, of diskettes of any size, and my first 10 MB Harddrive!! in my first PC clone in 1985. More storage than I would ever ever need!!

2 Likes

I actually had to seriously cut down when we moved from Michigan to Florida. I don't have any of that cool stuff anymore. When we cleaned out the attic in Michigan I was reminded by my bride that I was going from a 24'x24' attic and 3 outbuildings to a single 8'x12' shed. It was tough seeing most of my collection go. I now only have the 2 large totes.

Though this discussion reminded me that I had a HDHomerun in the tote that I think I can use to push cable channels to my phone while camping.

1 Like

Do I get extra extra points?! I have four boxes: network, power (wall warts, etc. ), A/V, serial cables.

5 Likes

Here comes a race to the bottom for storage technologies. There were those audio cassettes to hold BASIC programs. But my first home computer (which I built from parts) had a whopping 256 bytes of memory, and um .. it all went away when you turned it off.

3 Likes

My first was the Timex/Sinclair with the 16mb expansion pack that you had to hold on with tape or it would come loose and you would lose everything.

My introduction was with the TRS-80's in high school. Our lab had one main machine and 16 student machines. I had a selector switch at the instructor machine and would send each student their work at the beginning of class and they would send it back at the end. One machine at a time.

2 Likes

Those are small boxes. Also, points off for organization. All cords and cables must be hopelessly tangled in a large box per archival box of old cable standards.

:slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

I've even got a box for old power strips, short AC cords for wall warts, extension cords (2 and 3 prong), and similar stuff.

2 Likes

Have to say, I'm impressed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the same one in a box, in the hall closet, never used. Bought a 2G desk-phone and added another line to our cell plan with our old phone number.

I'll keep the old land line phone just in case I ever switch back. /sigh

It's not all for nothing. The other day my X-Box stopped turning on my TV and controlling the volume. I went to the old cable drawer and found a spare IR-Blaster cable, replaced the non-functioning one and all is working.

If I didn't have that on hand, I would have been inconvenienced for a whole day waiting on a replacement to arrive, and I saved myself at least $3.00.

6 Likes

You guys are a bunch of amateurs! :rofl:

I have 14 computers made before the year 2000 + 5 CRT monitors (including a Sony PVM) + 2 dot matrix printers and I have more tubs of computer expansion cards and misc cables that I can reliably recall. :nerd_face:

5 Likes

Maybe.

Pics?

2 Likes

3 Likes

Sure, I'm working from the office today so here's some older pics I dredged out of my phone:

Here's some of my Floppy Disk collection and some accessories:

Funnily enough I don't have pics of my tubs full of cables :smiley:

4 Likes

Yes that is how I have all my dead technology stored, many still have the original boxes. I bring pieces up to my bookshelf which I use as my museum and background for my work Teams and Zoom calls.

2 Likes

Damn...pretty sure I saw an Eniac in there... :wink:

3 Likes

Can you point it out for me please? I can't recall where I put it. :crazy_face:

8 Likes

With all that hommage to Steve, there's gotta be a Lisa and a NeXT in there some where!

2 Likes

I'd love a Next, but the Lisa doesn't interest me - I mainly collect machines that I actually used and liked back in the day.

2 Likes

6 Likes