Cannot update C8 pro hub

@bobbyD Router firewall is off. My firewall has been off for weeks now actually. So that cant be the reason. Google home integration and remote dashboard links work in C5. So all accesses are there.

I saw there was new platform update 2.3.8.118. Both hubs are on it now.

Now when I try backup on C5, the zwave radios do NOT backup.

10-000124

It was backing up on 2.3.8.117. At least the tick was showing.

Definitely feels like a platform version issue, or the cloud servers maybe not accessible from Australia?

We have a dedicated group of users from Australia using the hub, so the location is not the problem.

Try doing the Shut down/pull power/wait/restart dance again, and then try the cloud (or migrate) backup again. The restart will clear the Z-Wave and Zigbee radios, may help.

done several times. I can control my zwave devices with C5 so that's working. So the cloud migration should migrate the zwave stuff too.

Interesting that 2.3.8.117 showed zwave export happened. Showed with the tick.
2.3.8.118 does not export the zwave stuff.

1 Like

Hang on... You're using a C5 as the source hub, and you're in Australia? Do you have an external Z-Wave dongle plugged into the C5 hub? If so, only one model of external Z-Wave dongle is supported for an automatic Z-Wave migration.

4 Likes

@ogiewon Here is pic of it. Yes I have external zwave dongle.

So looks like mine isn't supported for migration?

I'm trying zwave repair before migration. Let's see.

Yea, that is not going to work for a hub migration. You will need to manually migrate all of your Z-Wave devices to your new hub. There are procedures for doing so floating around in the community.

Here is the guide from Hubitat's own @bravenel

4 Likes

Wow - great work, Dan!!

2 Likes

Looks like the devices and rules have transferred over. Just need to pair the devices to new hub. I'll check out the guide.

For sure follow those directions before pairing ANY zwave devices to the new hub. I did not know that guide existed and came up with a similar plan on my own, and have posted it for a few people. That guide is more detailed.

If you you do not follow those directions, you will create a giant mess when you start adding z-wave devices to the new hub.

1 Like

How do i change the DNI? i cant see that option in device details page

Down here on the individual Device pages: Click the Edit link next to the DNI field.

1 Like

face palm I need glasses haha

Curious, why cant I just do the following:

keep C5 off
fire up C8, factory reset devices, do exclude then include
then just add those new devices to my rules.
once everything working on C8, do full reset of C5.

will this break anything? I dont have to worry about DNI stuff this way. Good thing is that at least the apps section with all rules and dashboards migrated.

1 Like

yes you can edit the rules but some may not come up depending on how broken if the devices are missing.. recommend you do screen shots of all affected rules first so you can easily recreate them if you need to..

the dni editing is so the rules will just work without any changes.

1 Like

ok so as I understand it, by following the guide, I add device to new hub, and shift it's DNI to what is used in the automations. Hence no need to update the rules. Did i get that right?

2 Likes

You might want to try using the Swap Apps Device feature as well. I believe that feature may have been released after the instructions above.

2 Likes

That is expected, given the fact that the radios cannot be restored. Also, looks like the firewall/network was preventing the hubs to access the internet, as both show connected now. Also you wouldn't have been able to update when they were not, that's why the update showed up after you disabled the firewall/restarted your network. Now, I don't recommend keeping the firewall off, as that exposes your home to problems. Instead, you may want to share more details about your setup so that others can help you protect your network better.

1 Like

Issue was not the firewall/network. Firewall has been off for weeks/months now. And nothing else changed in network.

Devices and apps transferred over before as well. That didn't change. As mentioned here. Dashboard buttons wouldn't work. Update button always showed, the exported cloud file always showed, just didn't work when imported to new hub.

If hub is showing connected from your end now that must be due to the latest update of 2.3.8.118 that was available last night.

The migration not working seems to be because I have unsupported hardware.

so just factory reset device, exclude in C8, then include.
Then do Swap Apps Device thing?

That should work as long as none of the devices are child devices...they are not supported by Swap Apps Device.

2 Likes

exclude from C5 not needed yes? since i am factory resetting the device.