Cannot get Ecowitt data to Hubitat

Here's the top section of the device as well.

Either use the IP address of your Hubitat, or its FQDN in your LAN. But the format you've used is not valid (IP address/Hostname).

2 Likes

Yep, that will be the issue, the slash in the interface was meant to imply IP or hostname, not both, and @aaiyar is also right that if you did want to use the hostname you would likely need to use something like Hubitat.local.

1 Like

Oh My Gosh! OK. That fixed that. So simple.

Now, about building a beautiful dashboard. I'm not a programmer (well, haven't done programming since Basic and Fortran 40 years ago). So, when I look at the info in the CSS tab it's terribly confusing.

2 Likes

Here's an example of what I get when I create a tile. This is the current outdoor temp. I want to add a nice background and a label that says temp or outddoor temp or something and remove the "Wittboy" at the bottom.

I could tell you the hard way to do it or you might just want to look at another @sburke781 contribution:

2 Likes

Thats not the driver we are using.

What driver should I be using?

1 Like

OK. Well, the one by Snell seems to work. Does the Simon Burke do something more/better/different?

yes much more complete in devices and features and newer

Thanks!

And @sburke781 is just a really swell guy.

2 Likes

Gee, thanks guys... Not like I am not putting effort into my driver either. Plus I do not know that there is any devices/features I do not support...

:person_shrugging:

3 Likes

sorry ... my bad... nothing personal but i just assumed your driver was mostly for ambient

Nah, I did not take it personally (thus the shrug). I have had Ecowitt support for a LONG time and changed the project to be AmbientEcowitt, then built in the Ambient Local once someone mentioned that existed as well.

1 Like

@snell Your driver is working for me. I can't get the other one to work 'yet'. Can they both work at the same time?

And, my system is pretty simple. WS90 and GW2000 (as of now). I'm going to add a display console (Professional Weather Products | Smart Home Product – Ecowitt) and a humidity/temp sensor for my greenhouse (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JLRJRLM/ref=ewc_pr_img_2?smid=A13RMNHJJ617OY&th=1).... Hoping those all work together.

I have Hubitat do automation based on wind and temps which is why I wanted integration. Your driver does all that for me. I've given up on trying to create an aesthetically pleasing dashboard, which is why I have the console on order.

So, your driver is much appreciated and was simple for me to get up and running after I fixed the IP/Hostname issue.

Thank you!

3 Likes

i need to look at your driver and see if you have features like the html templates for dashboards in the burke version (which i worked on after microlin for awhile before he took over lol) as i didnt feel like supporting another driver/thread. (so am i slightly biased and partial to it)

I do not think you could actually be running them at the same time if they are coming from the same Ecowitt Gateway. Only one virtual device can have that MAC as it's DNI. Of course if you had more than one Gateway you could certainly have both drivers on your system.

You can also absolutely use both drivers (or have multiple devices use mine) if they are not using the same method (thus the DNI problem above). For example, I have three devices with one using the Ambient API method, one using Ambient Local, and one using Ecowitt Local. All using the same driver but since their methods do not overlap they are not conflicting.

@kahn-hubitat: I offer a Tile Template that I discussed with mircolino "back in the day" and reused the basics with his permission (it was originally an HTML Template if I recall but then when HTML could not be used anymore I changed it a bit and called it Tile Template). It has been altered over time of course but it exists in my WeatherSensorChild child driver (which is reused by multiple weather station/system drivers I have). Most of my users found it better to have based on the specific piece of their system that the data was being reported for than the parent device itself, thus the children (the parent does not offer it). I have actually reused that method AND an add child device method that mircolino showed me as a fundamental portion of almost all my drivers since.

4 Likes

I would agree with @snell that you would only be able to have one device at a time with the Mac address of a gateway, so you could only use one at a time for the same gateway.

Also, happy for you to use either driver, whatever suits your needs and you are comfortable with. If you have @snell 's working I don't see any reason to change. I'm also happy to help out where I can, regardless of the driver you choose.

As well as the built-in tile options, you may also be interested in tile builder by @garyjmilne .

2 Likes