Cannot Disable WiFi Radio on C8

I need help. I just can't disable open access point on my C8 hub. Anyone can just connect to my Hub and have full access. I can't find a way to disable it, other then connect it to my home Wifi. This is a big issue for me.

Anyone knows a way to completely disable WiFi radio, before I actually open it and do some physical damage to it?

Thank you.

I don't use WiFi, but I was curious.
I found this in Help.
I guess it's disabled when there's an Ethernet connection.
That's all I got.

It is supposed to disable itself. Someone else had this same issue recently, they went into the network settings and connected it to a Wifi, then once connected, disconnected / disabled Wifi from there. I think they left ethernet connected the entire time. After they did that they said the setup AP went away.

I keep reading that is supposed to disable it self but it doesn't. I already tried to reset it to a factory default, disable STP (enable portfast) on the Cisco switch and nothing works, it just on and open for anyone to connect. The only way I found, is to connect to our WiFi but I have it hardwired as well and when connected to to both, ethernet and WiFi, it becomes very slow to load pages.

Maybe this is something that @bobbyD @bcopeland would like to comment on so thought I'd tag them.

Thank you. I can't even imagine how many people do not realize that this is happening and have their hub exposed like that.

1 Like

Once you connect it to the Wifi, you should then have an option to disconnect it / disable WiFi? Have you tried that, or just it just fire up the setup AP again?

I did. It will disconnect from WiFi and won't enable the AP mode until reboot. After rebooting the hub, AP mode is enabled again.

What I think is happening, is that my Cisco switch is taking a little bit longer to bring the port up, making the hub think that it's not connected via ethernet yet, and enabling WiFi.

Maybe some sort of race condition on boot. It should be shutting the AP off automatically once ethernet is connected. You could try re-plugging the ethernet while the hub is already running, see if that makes it turn it off. Its not really a solution but more of a data point for devs to use.

Just tried it and it's still enabled, I can still connect to MyNewHubitat.

Here are the steps I took:

• Disconnect from WiFi ( I had it connected, as a temporary fix, to prevent it from being publicly accessible).
  • Reboot the hub.
  • Checked if MyNewHubitat is broadcasting and I can connect (it was)
  • Unplug the ethernet, wait a second and plug it back in
  • Checked if MyNewHubitat is broadcasting and I can connect (it was)
  • Wait couple of minutes and checked if MyNewHubitat is broadcasting and I can connect, and it's still enabled.

Maybe a complete shutdown and restart of the hub?

Tried that already.

That was my only ideas, not sure why it is getting stuck.

If staff does not reply here, you can also send a PM to @support_team

Or also you can send a warranty claim: Warranty – Hubitat Support

Hopefully @support_team would help, otherwise I would just take it a part and try to remove the WiFi hardware by force. I have a lot of devices and rules that I just manually migrated from my C7, it took me two weeks and I don't want to do it again.

Seems like it is probably a software problem, so maybe it is something they can fix with a firmware update. I dont think you would have to replace the hub.

I am in the process of moving off Hubitat to HA BECAUSE of C8 having memory issues (I suspect that they went to a different maker, because this memory has had static variables switch states randomly along with other issues). I just now found that I have had an exposed wifi when I EXPLICITLY shut it down (or so I thought).
Needless to say, I am moving as fast as I can off this C8 (oddly my C7 was pretty good, but it does not matter).

Can you confirm that your wifi is open as well? Do you have same symptoms as me?

Tagging @bcopeland & @bobbyD again.
Is this an issue we should be concerned about? :man_shrugging:

If this is not just isolated issue to me, this is defiantly everyone should be concerned about, as you can actually unlock people's doors and see who is in which room, if people like me, have motion sensor all over the place, and see if anyone is home.

This is really bed!