Cannot Disable WiFi Radio on C8

I'm not sure this is a serious problem for most of us.
It seems like this might be a weird, isolated incident.
I've had two C eights now. and done extensive wifi analysis.
and none of my c-8's have ever done or shown or had an opened network.

2 Likes

I have Unifi equipment as well and it automatically performs environmental scans for nearby Wifi networks on a regular basis while storing history of these networks. I looked back several weeks including when I setup a new C8 Pro (I have 2) and I don't have any history of the "MyNewHubitat" Wifi network.

I don't think this is a widespread problem.

2 Likes

I've seen another thread on redit and might be one on here as well. There is a problem.

I am not saying there isn't a problem, just providing data that it is not an "every new hub" problem. I deployed a brand new hub a few weeks ago and have zero record of this issue.

3 Likes

That might of came out wrong LOL.

What I'm trying to say is that I have a problem as well as some other people, but not everyone does. I will wait for someone from Habitat @support_team to respond, before I take my soldering iron to it and de-solder the WiFi module from it.

In my case, I have every window, door, lock connected to this hub, as well as some cameras in the dashboard. Big problem for me.

Totally understand and I would share your concern if that was happening in my home.

Just a thought the zigbee and zwave have external antennas but the Wifi I believe is taped to the top of the hub under the logo. You could create a faraday cage to prevent the Wifi from leaking though you need to make sure your hub doesn't overheat.

1 Like

I have some experience with the electronics. I'm sure that they are using an USB interface to connect the WiFi module to the main board.

I haven't taking it a part yet, I figured I ask for help here first, before I do some destructive steps.

At this point, I'm not afraid to totally loose this hub. If I loose it, I would have to give another try to HA. Very reason I switched from the HA a while back, was that updates would just destroy my setup an I noticed a same pattern with HE.

I have been using HE for 6 years and moved from SmartThings just as HE got started in Feb 2018. I have never had an update destroy my setup. Ever. Sure an rare update may have caused an issue but I was able to regress to an older version until a fix was provided. SmartThings never provided the ability to back out an update and this along with cloud outages was my reason to jump ship.

I have been happy with HE though will say the hubs historically have been underpowered for my large setup with around 200 radio devices and 130 virtual/lan devices - 330 total devices. I chose to split my setup by protocol early on and run a multi-hub setup. With the release of the C8 Pro, I have recently consolidated to a 2 hub setup where one hub is radio only, no apps and then those devices meshed to a second hub running all apps including LAN integrations. So far things have worked really well and I am enjoying a less complex setup.

I am sorry you are experiencing the Wifi issue but am confident that @bobbyD and @gopher.ny will take care of the issue.

4 Likes

I have a large Z-Wave/Zigbee setup as well (around 300).

I've been using HE since C5 came out in 2019. I used HA before and I got super frustrated with the updates completely trashing my setup.

Then I got the C7 and had a major Z-Wave network issues, later were fixed by removing all of the Zooz motion sensors (s0), I had 18 of this. I guess that this was a Z-Wave 7 issue.

I've noticed that if I don't update the hub, it will works as expected. There were times when some of my rules were broken after updates.

Over all, I really like HE, It's very fast, I even wrote couple of drivers for it. I just need to get the WiFi radio off my C8 hub. LOL

Thankfully I have not seen this issue. My hub is plugged in to one of my mesh routers and the WiFi AP doesn't show up. Why is having this exposed is such a big concern? I get that it is a clear vulnerability, but I think the sequence of events that would have to be true for any real harm to happen seems low. I'm assuming the AP is only there for setup purposes, and does not allow someone to see your existing setup or devices. I saw the post about this making it possible to control locks and see motion, but I don't understand how that is possible. What am I missing? That perspective aside, I agree HE should fix this and that you can likely disable it physically without much effort or risk.

1 Like

I’m wondering that too.

How does connecting to the C8 hub’s WiFi access point allow one to see and control devices paired to the hub?

1 Like

When MyNewHubitat is enabled, and someone is connected to it with let's say their phone to MyNewHubitat open AP that's enabled on the hub, they have full access to that hub, just like anyone else on your network. All they have to do, is get close to your house, where they are in range, they can unlock your doors, watch your cameras, etc..

It's clearly not that it's not that low, I'm facing this issue on a hab that's out of the box.

Wrong. When connected to AP, you have full access and you can controll, add, remove devices

Here is the video of what I'm talking about, link will expire on 04/05/2024

Enable Hub security as a temporary safeguard while HE devs can figure out the issue. I keep that enabled all the time anyway just so no one else in the house could get in there. Never know with kids these days.

5 Likes