Can you use a POE switch with another POE switch?

It's supposed to be 800GB, but I think we are closer to 400 - 600. Hard to say. When I run a speed test from the computer it says 120- 230 usually. Spectrum says it is because it's an older computer. I do get somewhat faster speed on my phone/tablet, generally in the 330- 450 range. Currently, we don't have a gigabit service where we live. Ubiquity (apparently a different company) is building networks around us (under the name firstfiber), I’m hoping they come into our area in the nearish future

As for the speed, that 600 is what is listed on the product page for the UDR, the other is what is listed for the ASUS on their page.

Yeah, the UDR is definitely bandwidth limited.

Are you running your speedtest from a lan, or wifi connected device?

If you run it from a wifi connected device, your results will be limited by the throughput of your Wifi network, not by your WAN connection.

S.

Please be sure to not confuse WAN throughout versus WiFi theoretical bandwidth.

High end consumer routers these days often include a 2.5Gbps WAN port. The UniFi UDR includes. 1Gbps WAN port, if I recall correctly. However, it is CPU constrained and thus cannot achieve the full 1Gbps.

Which ASUS Router are you looking at? When I see things advertised as supporting 3000Mbps, or higher, they are almost always quoting theoretical WiFi total bandwidth, using all of the 2.4GHz, 5GHz, and sometimes 6GHz radios combined. This has nothing to do with WAN bandwidth capabilities. Also, no single client device can achieve much more than 1Gbps over WiFi 6. And that device would need multiple radios to achieve those speeds.

Also, units matter.
Gbps is Gigabits per second
GBps is GigaBytes per second

Mbps is Megabits per second
MBps is MegaBytes per second

There are 8 bits in a byte.

3 Likes

Ive done it from both. Lan is significantly slower than wifi, that's why Spectrumnis saying its because my computer is older (2017 model). Last speed test from my laptop this morning (on wifi) was 84.8 / 22.4 Mbps. Lan is a bit of a chore to do. not impossible, just a bit of work.ence why i want to just run cable and have certain things on ethernet vs wifi.

Ok.

Success. Ended up having to use a local account, as the 2FA doesn't seem to play nicely.

In any case, all 21 Unifi devices appear to be detected correctly. correction, see below

The Protect driver also worked perfectly, everything shows up correct, including the ViewPort and Chime.

It correctly id'd the G3 and G4 cameras,

The "bridge" devices confused me, as the are my APs, which also show up in the Network API. Ah! The UAP 6+ isn't seen by the Protect API. Looking back at the device in the Network API, device type is "Generic" instead of AP.

State Variables

• Kernel Version : 5.4.188
  • License State : registered
  • Satisfaction : 100
  • Device Status : 1
  • Device Version : 6.5.67.14811
  • Model EOL : false
  • SupportWiFi6e : false
  • Driver Name : UnifiNetworkChild
  • ID : 64c56140119bed2069c7e980
  • Uplink : {Speed=1000, RemotePort=5, Media=null, UplinkDevice=Garage Camera Switch 1, PortID=01, Enabled=false}
  • CPU Usage : 0.6
  • Uptime : 72 Days 22 Hours 46 Minutes
  • IP : 192.168.88.126
  • Has Fan : false
  • Board Revision : 16
  • Access Point : true
  • Device Type : Generic
  • MAC : f4:e2:c6:40:8e:aa
  • Hardware Type : uap
  • Driver Version : 0.2.7
  • Serial : F4E2C6408EAA
  • Has Speaker : false
  • Memory Usage : 60.1
  • Model LTS : false
  • Model : UAPL6
  • DeviceName : U6+

Other than that little thing, everything I've looked at appears perfect.

S.

Umm.... That shouldn't be the case what so every. If your laptop (as long as its gigabit) is hard wired to the router, then it should be significantly faster than wifi regardless of age., I mean, it is possible if the laptop has a mechanical drive, the perception could be lower because of the slow read/write the test is using but it still should be faster than wifi.

That is what I’ve always thought. I was going after spectrum for not even close to the speed we were supposed to get. I ran a cable from the router direct to the dock, and the speed was like 182, on my phone iPhone14 Pro, it was 446. They said the slower speed was because of the age of the laptop. My wife’s work laptop had similar results, though in her case it does have an Ethernet port, so we plugged directly in to that, similar speed.

My laptop has a 2TB SSD, hers has a HDD. No idea it’s capacity. Being corporate issue I doubt it is very big.

But generally, these are reasons why I’m looking at improving the network in the house.

If the network cards are 10 Mb/s vs 100 or 1000, that will make the biggest difference. Does you router have lights that show the port speed they are connected at?

1 Like

You talked to someone that doesn't know what the hell they're talking about.

I call

karl pilkington bullshit GIF

quote="jameslslate, post:48, topic:126229"]
the network cards are 10 Mb/s vs 100 or 1000, that will make the biggest difference. Does you router have lights that show the port speed they are connected at?
[/quote]
I don’t think my router does, but I think I can see that through the switch

I think I’ll pull the cable out and hook it up again and see what kind of result I find. I think another battle with spectrum is on the horizon.

Here is the test I just ran on WiFi from my phone. Again supposed to be 800gbs

[

Yes 10 vs 100 vs 1000 will make a big difference. But even an older laptop should have a gigabit card in it. Now if you're switch is only 100 that will choke everything. Wifi will also be a bottleneck.

Well, you know the switch, I think it’s the same one you have, or at least recommended, that Mokerlink managed POE switch. I know WiFi will reduce, that is the reason for wanting to run cable and was the reason I started this very interesting thread that is sending me down many rabbit holes! I’m probably going to have to get back to my Cisco networking lessons too. Hopefully I can get some more details answers as I work through those.

How do I determine the speed on the network card in my laptop?

Windows 10 or 11?

Right click on your network icon and open network and internet settings..

At the bottom click advanced network settings. Click your ethernet adapter... Should say link speed 1000mbps

And the last speed test, from the lap top over Wifi , 2 hrs ago

Turn off wifi and just use ethernet

Yeah, I can't do that yet No thernet connection near the computers (or any other ethernet compatible devices. Ethernet involves a 25-foot cable across 2 rooms. Meager WAF value. But that is the bigger reason I'm looking into all of this .

Here is the speed test with the ethernet cable connected to the router"

And connected to the switch:

This is supposed to be an 800mmps
FHVpD89L01qQGka8AMp

What about if you plug the ethernet directly into your router (reboot before test)

That is the first one, but I did not reboot ...I also tried directly into the modem, and couldn't get a connection. seems weird