Can’t pair Schlage FE599 (EDIT - lock has been paired - next up: getting it to mesh)

In a moment of giving up on repeaters, I moved the Hub and did a repair. Checking in Zwave details, I’m able to get a “last received” for current time, which is an improvement, but lock/unlock is not hitting the device. What could this be now?

It has the secure pair?
Did you paired the lock near the hub? Then you moved the lock to the final placement, or you moved the hub and paired the lock then moved the hub to the final placement?

Yep, secure paired at the door and moved the hub. No matter what I seem to do with repeaters, I can’t hit the lock unless the hub is close to the door. Giving up and moving the hub to be close to the door. Frustrating because now I’ll be on powerline Ethernet vs plugged directly into my network. All for one device while everything else runs great.

Ahh, I knew you were moving something!
Honestly I don't like that way to pair locks, you should pair it in the final location, of the lock and the hub, because the lock when paired gets the route table, if near the hub, the route will be very different than away the hub, so your repeaters are useless because the route table doesn't have them, then doing a z wave repair doesn't fix that because the lock is a battery device.

I would pair it again in their final locations, but careful, sometimes those locks are very difficult to re pair. Good luck.

I thought it was a requirement to pair the lock right near the hub? The whole “whisper join”

Bahh, I never paired the locks near the hub, and they work

Whisper Join is not mandatory. It's an option a Manufacturer can choose. The intent is to prevent man-in-the-middle, but has it's own set of problems.

I think you've given Whisper Join a good try. Time to try Beaming... Put the Hub where it belongs, the lock where it belongs and try joining. The goal is to have a beaming capable device near enough to your lock. It has to be AC powered, and needs to itself support Beaming. Assuming the routing has had time to settle, the beaming device will queue up commands to the lock, so when the lock is sleeping (it's a battery device, after all) the beaming device will send send send til the lock wakes instead of the hub trying to catch the Lock while it's awake.

3 Likes

Really? I thought I’ve been reading on the forums that a few feet (or even inches) distance between the devices is the only way they will pair. Maybe I’ve misunderstood. I’d give it a try, the only thing to lose at this point is the wife approval factor... she’s going to flip if I start playing with that lock again!

I have a Yale... and went thru the same. Hub inches away. Wouldn't join securely, multiple attempts... many multiple.

I gave up and put the hub and lock back where they belonged. Hours later I decided to just try it again because I was standing at the door, working on it's contact sensor. To my absolute surprise it worked.

Then I tried my Linear/GoControls/iris Garage Door Opener and it worked too. I have to believe that one of the 3 routing capable devices (literally) surrounding the Lock got it's Beaming mojo activated.

I had a revelation yesterday. With the door OPEN I was able to command the lock with the hub in its usual spot. Door CLOSED I could not. I literally kept opening and closing the door to prove this and it worked 100% of the time. All of my pairing was with the door half open, me standing inside.

Went to Lowe’s and got a GE Switch to wire up into the box closest near the door for my porch light. This did the trick! I excluded and paired with the door closed and was able to reach the lock. So glad this little saga is coming to a close and I can work on other things in the house now.

My advice to anyone struggling with locks is to not forget the impact of a closed exterior door with Zwave. I had to get a repeater INTO the wall about 2 feet away. An outlet switch 6 feet away did NOT reach.

1 Like