C8 Zigbee Radio Turning Off/On Multiple Times a Day

Here are my biggest offenders. All but 2 are battery powered.

Iris V2 Keypad

• driverVersion: 1.0.5
  • firmwareMT: 104E-0021-10025310
  • manufacturer: CentraLite
  • model: 3405-L
  • softwareBuild: 10025310

Smartthings V3 Motion Sensor

• firmwareMT: 1241-0010-00000011
  • manufacturer: Samjin
  • model: motion
  • softwareBuild: 00000011

Iris Motion Sensor

• firmwareMT: C2DF-001F-1C005310
  • manufacturer: CentraLite
  • model: 3326-L
  • softwareBuild: 1C005310

Centralite Zgibee Smart Plug Mini

• firmwareMT: 104E-003D-10016000
  • manufacturer: Centralite Systems
  • model: 4200-C
  • powerCluster: none
  • softwareBuild: 10016000

Ikea Tradfri Zigbee Repeater

• driver: 2.0.2 2023/02/22 9:11 PM
  • firmwareMT: 117C-1102-22005631
  • manufacturer: IKEA of Sweden
  • model: TRADFRI Signal Repeater
  • softwareBuild: 22005631
1 Like

My C-8 uptime is 2d 20h 48m 46s
My Ikea Tradfri Zigbee repeater stats are : 8,157 (Total ms) and 620 (Count).

For this period it means that the number of the driver activations ( that is the number of the received Zigbee messages + the number of the driver activations due to scheduled healthCheck periodic jobs) is once per 336 seconds ( roughly every 5.6 minutes) - this is normal in my opinion.

For comparison, these are the top 10 spammy devices on my other hub (it is C-7, but handles the load without any problems - no any delays in activating light switches, despite the heavy traffic from the Tuya mmWave radars ) :

What are your statistics for the Tradfree repeater?

2 Likes

Just for comparison, some of my Iris v2 running on C8 stats below. Not sure why the Walk-in Closet is so active, but its battery is at 62% and it hasn't been changed since sometime last year, many months ago, so it is holding up fine.

Iris v3 (just have a few of these) below: The first one is in an outdoor location and gets tons of triggers due to insects, birds, some tall plants/shrubs that move a lot in the wind and anyone/thing that walks up our front walk. Battery was replaced IIRC middle of last year, still reading 100% (obviously not still 100), and going strong):

So I'm not seeing battery consumption up on Iris v2/v3 on my mesh. I am seeing them stop reporting every once in a while (the Walk-in Closet sensor had to be reset/rejoined last night, for example) and I am having several Zigbee radio offline/online events each day, which I believe is what is causing the reporting issues and need to reset/rejoin.

Not trying to say you aren't having issues, @dustin.carpio - just wanted to share that the Iris can play nicely on a C8, may be that some specific issues can be identified to help w/your situation.

1 Like

If you open the Zigbee logs and filter by this device, do you see too many profileId:0x0 messages?

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion - just opened Zigbee logs and will let it run and then look for the message. :slight_smile:

Just had to re-join this Iris v2 sensor a few minutes ago this AM, discovered it had stopped reporting sometime last night when I went down to trigger it after I started the Zigbee logs page. So far after re-joining the motion sensor, logs only show one of those 0x0 messages:

Interestingly, the previous instance of that motion sensor before I removed/re-joined it, did show more of those 0x0 messages. They are aging out of the logs it seems, as the number of messages shown in the logs for the previous instance of the sensor reduced and then were gone and the previous device no longer shows up in the logs. Below is the last reading I had when the previous instance of the motion sensor was still appearing in the Zigbee logs:

@kkossev - When we see that profileID:0x0 messaging, what does it mean?

Early on I had a lot of issues with my Ikea Tradfri repeaters. The biggest issue is they dropped off, and took a few devices with them. And since they don't show "last activity" times, I didn't catch right away that they quit responding.

When they did drop, a simple unplug and replug fixed them and got them repeating again. Knock on wood they've been solid for over a week now.

Looking in my route table, most of my devices are routing thru them, so it would make sense they bring the mesh down when they go. Den outlet, LR Repeater, and Basement repeater are all Tradfri devices

I also switched them to the drivers by birdslikewires which checks in and will report if they are offline. I set up a rule to send me a message right away if one goes MIA.

1 Like

A quick question: Do you really need that Ikea Tradfri repeaters with the C8?

Th reason why I ask is as follows:

1. I migrated over to the C8 a Zwave Hub.
  2. I'm slowly (but surely) moving over all the Zigbee devices on another hub (C7). I have a lot of those Ikea Tradfri repeaters, on that Hub.
  3. So far, I haven't needed any repeaters on the new C8 Hub - the radio & antenna are so good, if I don't need a repeater, I'm not bringing it over.

Still need repeaters when there are too many battery powered devices. That's actually why I have them. My house isn't really that big, but lots of contact and motion sensors.

1 Like

@aaiyar : You used to have a (informal) rule (for the C7 and prior models), that for every 5-8 sensors, you need to have 1 repeater. In light of the increased power and antenna of the c8, do you think that rule should be changed?

1 Like

My C-8 zigbee mesh is working well with one repeater for every 4-5 devices.

2 Likes

no, repeaters offload a lot of busywork that the hub would otherwise need to do...

6 Likes

I see a ton of 0x0 profile ID's in my zigbee logs. What is this an indicator of?

The profile 0x0 remains consistent, but it is varied across devices and cluster IDs.

I don't see any references to it in the forum with a quick search.

Profile 0x0000 refers to ZDO messages.

These non-stop ZDO messages are definitely the reason for your battery draining.
This is something that must be looked at by Hubitat.

2 Likes

Just updated to .130. Doesn't look like a fix for the radio online/offline is in that build. Mine has gone offline/online 5 times in the last hour. Hopefully a fix is not too far away.

Thanks for that. I'm suffering the battery drain as well. It's good to know that there is an identifiable cause.

I will be monitoring my devices in the next few days for similar issues, however, at the moment I don't see such intensive ZDO messages traffic with any of my devices.

1 Like

Try removing the battery for a couple of minutes and then put it again.

Will these messages stop?

wow. I can't believe I see this thread minutes after I made the connection myself.

Today, 3 devices have reported batteries nearly gone. Recall I'm pure zigbee. No doubt i'll take flack for this, but I believe just prior to c8 things were smooth and functional in my and many HE's.
then the world went sideways - strange problems, c8's were first reports coming in then later c7's and others. Of course everyone rushed to resolve one off's thinking it was a bad device or a bad this or that. but the center component to the nexus or core of this problem pile is the HE. There were releases with attempts to mod and fix zigbee issues - and now. I have devices going offline that haven't ever gone bad, a battery go from 75% last week to 36 tonite, and 2 more devices drop from normal to dying batteries. Something has changed at the polling, at the communication or in the commands that is causing my HE zigbee network to suffer and its not my network or my devices. it's the HE. Did the Beta people just miss it? not experience it? too worried about webcore or something else? not a big enough pool of testers? I planned this last weekend to rollback but didn't have the nerve and didn't want to do all the work. I think I have no option but to abandon using the new versions that keep coming out and wait until someone definitively finds the problem. I'm tired of being a guinea pig.

2 Likes

Although I am no Zigbee expert, I honestly believe that many of the issues experienced by people have to do with the differences between HA 1.2 and Zigbee 3.0. In addition, the vastly increased power/sensitivity of the radio (and antenna), are also sources of issues.
Upgrading is never easy, even when the "experts" claim upwards compatibility.
Personally, I migrated over a Zwave Hub, and I'm doing Zigbee on a device by device basis. Yes, there are adjustments to be made. Conventional wisdom is that there should be no changes when converting over. In practise, I've found that every situation is different. In my situation, I had to turn down the power of my Zigbee radio significantly until I found something that worked well. I found that in many cases, repeaters were not needed. (This is my experience - your mileage may vary!).
Yes, this is a major upgrade. Yes, it can be painful. Is it worth it? It depends...

Postscript about batteries (@jshimota ):
I just wanted to share with you my experience about draining batteries on the new C-8. I recently installed a Iris V2 Motion Sensor. It has a CR2 battery, and it usually lasts 1-2 years. I paired it in my lab, and then went to install it (all the way on the other side of my house). After a day or two, I noticed that it showed up on my Device Activity report, so I promptly took it down, and re-paired it. Before I put it back up (it's actually outside, under an eavestrough), I noticed that the battery strength was only 50% WTF? I just put in a fresh battery!
Here is what I suspect happened:
After pairing the device the first time, it established a route and it's way to the Hub. When I put it back up, it still tried to get back to that first route (which was now very far away). Battery drain!!!
Lesson learned: if at all possible, pair in place - do not pair far away from its eventual place.

4 Likes