C8 Z-wave inclusion failures for gen2 zcombo from first alert

The Zooz Zen55 is worthy option to consider if your (at least primary) dumb smokes are interconnected. Just need one for the entire interconnected network, and it works very well.

1 Like

@jdeltoft Can you post your z-wave details page in it's entirety? Use windows snip to do it

Just for another datapoint; I had several of the 1st gen ZCombo detectors and now 2nd gen Z-wave plus. They have been perfect up until eol. The surviving detectors are now connected to my C-8 and continue to work perfectly. I did join them all in the same room as the hub before moving them to their installed locations. I’m also using @jtp10181 ’s driver, but that’s a recent change.

Thanks @thebearmay for the tip on the log. I did a few factory resets and two full inclusion runs and only saw this:

@rlithgow1 The details page is very large, not sure I want to share that here also. Is there something specifc there you wanted to see?

All, thanks for the suggestions for other smoke sensors. I do really like these though, and as mentioned I have several of them working already. So I would like to learn how to get this thing to include again if at all possible.

@Ken_Fraleigh your experience sounds similar to mine, until this very recent attempt to add one more replacement (2023 gen2 for 2016 gen1 that was EOL)

1 Like

I'd like to see the whole thing to help diagnose your issue. Just use windows snip. There is no personally identifying info in it,.

1 Like

Have you tried shutting down the hub, cutting the power, then restoring power. Rebooting the hub doesn’t reboot the radio. It requires a power cycle.

Yup, see original post

1 Like

Sorry. Have you tried excluding it first?

Yea, I did try excluding also. Nothing happened for the 20 seconds that that ran. These are also brand new devices so this should not matter IMO

Exclusion is a good way to test if the device is talking to the hub. Even on a brand new device you should see "Unknown device excluded" on the hub side, if the device and hub are able to see and talk to each other. If that exclusion wont work there is a near 0 chance an inclusion will work.

3 Likes

Thanks @jtp10181, that's good to know. And it is definitely the state I'm in. Are there any ideas what could cause this given:

• I have successfully added another brand new z-wave device in this state (as a test)
  • I have factory reset the two brand new z-wave zcombo devices multiple times
  • I have many other of these zcombos in use as I write this
  • I see no logs from these two zcombo during inclusion/exclusion, but do see other zwave device logging
  • I have run the "zwave repair" and had one failure (5D) but all other devices have a check mark for status. (below is the one failure device which I'm not sure what I can do with)

As mentioned, I don't want to give up on this type of device or brand given it is working well for me with several other of the same device right now.

Is there some way to manually try to add a device or use the dsk qrcode on the back with hubitat?

That device you show there is a ghost node, it is not attached to a device on the hub. It is showing 19 neighbors so you will have a hard time getting rid of it. If its the only one like that it is probably not causing too much trouble, especially since you can include other devices.

Do your ZCOMBO device have the smart start QR code? If so, yes you can use that. You have to scan it on the mobile app found at Tools > Z-Wave Tools > SmartStart

Once the code is scanned in, you just power up the device and wait. Usually they include themselves within a minute or two but since these are being stubborn maybe it will take longer. Worth a try if they have the QR codes.

1 Like

One other thought, does First Alert have some pool of ID values it can use and has run out? Sorry, I don't know the technical details but just wondering given the ability to add other devices and the fact that I've gone through two cohorts of total zwave devices for my house now over the years.

Oh nice! I never knew about this feature in Hubitat. So I just did the SmartStart button, qr code read in fine, it was pending for ~1min and then said "included, Node: 0x89". I gave it a name, and saved.

Then I went to the list of devices on the hub and was expecting to find it, but didn't. Is there another step to complete this flow?

Oh, I take that back. It worked, but the name I gave it in the app did not seem to carry over:

1 Like

Thats normal. To find it I usually go to Z-Wave details and then it will be the last device at the bottom.

Side effect is once you have it saved in smart start it will always re-include it if it gets removed. So you may want to remove it now, so that does not happen on accident down the. Although it could come in handy as well, since you would not need to scan it again if you ever did need to reset and include it again.

Now check this driver out if you dont have it already :wink:

3 Likes

Great to know, thanks! Marked the earlier message as answer. I will check out the driver. I need to share a driver I made also that watches battery devices for either low battery or stale communications.

Oh, one other quick note, I did notice that this smoke detector did not show up as being used in HSM, even though I had "use all smoke detetors" toggled on. I wonder if that's a bug due to the smartstart zwave add?

It was easy to work around with just selecting the smoke detectors manually...

That's probably not the cause. You may just have to go into the app and click Done so it pulls in a current list of "all" devices. I usually manually select my devices anyway.

I just added another Gen2 FA Z-wave plus to the network today. Had a heck of a time with it.

For me, it was a DISTANCE issue. It did not want to include where it was to be installed. Oddly, it did exclude from that location.

After a bunch of short tempered frustration. I did the folowing.

Took unit to the C8 hub.

1 Open battery door.
Remove cells.
Replace cells.
Press test button while shutting door and releasing after the chirp.
Initiated EXCLUDE on my phone.

2 Opened battery door.
Remove cells.
Replace cells.
Press the test button while shutting the door and releasing after 10+ seconds tone ( reset )

3 Excluded again (same as 1)

4 Included (same as 1 but click include)

It was such a pain that I just entered the DSK number in a secured pairing. We will see how that works out.

How far can you toss these things? I'd bet I can get 50 yards on a good day.

:slight_smile:

Included

good to know. that smart start was not much help! :slight_smile: glad i deleted that. thanks for the heads up on reinclusion.