C8 vs C8 pro, differences?

I don't think they are asking you or anyone to do anything...the hub is for sale, we can all buy it now or wait for more info if we feel we want that before committing. Up to us to do what we want, when we want, no projectile weapon pointed at our heads/wallets. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

this i understand, what Im getting at, when a new tech product comes out, there are some benchmarks either the company or reviewers.

We have hope that the extra memory or speed will help, but nothing really. so us bleeding edge people are jumping in kinda blind. I understand that we are not being forced to. but that does not change the unfortunate mystery of the release.

I'd also add that given the "less sexy" change of increased resources, I don't expect many reviewers would feel they had a lot to talk about, compared to the addition of wi-fi and improved Z-Wave capabilities of the original C-8, for example.

Personally I don't mind with how things are handled. Another way to look at it is that reviewers and others now have the opportunity to look at the C-8 Pro, it's just that we also have that chance if we choose to take it, otherwise we are free to wait and see what the others post about their experience.

2 Likes

I think you just said "Yeah, but I can't help myself. :wink: :rofl:

Agree, but I never do. :smiley:

2 Likes

You never post about your experience? Or you can never wait? :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

I think if we've learned one thing about me, it's that I'm a quiet, reserved, sensitive kinda guy. :smiley:

Or maybe this...

Woot!

It's here!
I won't be able to mess w/it until Monday! :wink:

11 Likes

I’m jealous! :scream:

2 Likes

Mine came in today, i was shocked considering i ordered it on Friday afternoon.
Everything has been migrated, and so far i have not found any issues that weren't self inflicted.
After migration i changed the hub name, and had to manually re link my hub mesh points on my secondary hub.
Memory is sitting at about 1500000kb, or 1.5GB. So thats pretty cool and I'll keep an eye on it to observe for dropoff.
Zigbee and zwave networks transferred smoothly with no device drop off. I'll report back if i run into any issues

8 Likes

I'd like to see some graphs posted from people who are graphing freaks :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Is this an App?

i dont see how.. there is no c8 to c8 pro backup/restore yet unless maybe you are on beta?

and the c7 does not backup the zigbee database so all zigbee devices would have to be rejoined?

C7 Cloud backup includes everything:

I thought just C8>C8-Pro was blocked at the moment?

1 Like

Weird i remember being told
it was not possible with the c7 zigbee firmware and only zwave radio was backed up and thus we needed the new zigbee chipset in the c8 for that feature.

Zigbee restoration is supported to models C-8 and now C-8 Pro only. Restoration to these models is possible from any hub model using the internal Zigbee radio (so any C-7 or newer and most C-5 users), as documented.

3 Likes

So the new fw was for allowing restore not backup
.ok thanks.

It’s a device and available via HPM.

Any comments on general performance, speed, rule execution, device behavior, etc. compared to your previous hub?

I'm stoked--hoping mine shows up Monday when I'll suddenly have a new number 1 priority. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Enquiring minds want to know! Spill C-8 Pro people, spill!

4 Likes

Has anyone figured out if the C8-Pro has the same CPU as the C8?

1.5GHz to 2GHz with the same CPU architecture is just 33% more speed.

1.5GHz on an Arm A53 to 2GHz on something newer like an A72 would be easily 200% - 300% more speed.

If it's the same CPU then it's WAY better to just buy a C7 for cheap and hub mesh it.

That gives you 100% more CPU (less whatever the system uses) and ~50% more RAM (accounting for the system using about half even when idle) for less money than a C8-Pro. Getting a C8-Pro (if it's the same A53) only gives 33% more CPU and ~200% more RAM, since a factory reset C7 has about 500MB free, going from 1GB to 2GB is about 200% more free RAM.

I really don't need another 1GB of RAM. What I need is a CPU that's 3-5x faster, not 33% faster.

3 Likes