What is C8 Pro SOC

I am just really curious what the SOC is in the C8 Pro.

From what i can find the C4 had a S905W. Then the C5, C7 and C8 all had the S905X. Thsy were all clocked at 1.5

Based on the specs i can find the S905X can't be clocked to 2ghz. So what SOC is it being used.

The SOC used potentially brings other changes that haven't been listed.

S905X4 can go to 2 GHz

We won’t get access to FCC application internal pictures until May 13 https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/2AHYK-2212C8PRO/. Until then, unless someone cracks one open, we’ll have to guess.

1 Like

Will @JasonJoel be able to resist taking a peek. I wonder... :wink:

3 Likes

If you look at the exact info for that SOC and if it is true then a few things not talked about in the marketing material actually happened.

1. We may have gotten a multi-generational soc upgrade that would give improvements in a few areas.
  2. Along with simple clock speed bump we would have also gone from ARM A53 cores to A55 cores
  3. Potential network layer improvements as it appears there are some differences. The practical benefit is yet to be understood, but it is possible.
  4. A much improved process node from 28 nanometer to 12 nanometer.
  5. Potentially more support for newer Wifi bands and standards

As a matter of fact it would be nice to know a few things.

1. The exact SOC
  2. Clock Speed and type of ram compared to previous versions
  3. Type of storage on the unit. ie eMMC, UHS, some other kind of high speed storage
3 Likes

Gotta open it up to look for that debug pin header connection. :wink:

My two get delivered today.

I asked that question, too, but didn't get an answer yet (I'm sure they are busy doing real work, instead of answering my dumb spec questions - which is good).

1 Like

C-5, C-7 and C-8 all are based on Amlogic A113X SOC. C-8 Pro has A113X2.

Notes about hardware revs:

C-5 has 500 series Z-Wave module, single frequency for US, and Zigbee 1.2 chip. Other Z-Wave regions need an external dongle.

C-7 has 700 series Z-Wave module covering all regions through settings, and Zigbee 1.2 chip.

C-8 and C-8 Pro have 800 series Z-Wave module covering all regions, and Zigbee 3.0 chip, with external antennas.

C-5, C-7 and C-8 all have 1GB RAM and 1.416 GHz CPU clock for ARM Cortex A-53 CPU.
C-8 Pro has 2 GB RAM and 2.016 GHz clock for ARM Cortex A-55 CPU.

It appears that C-8 Pro boot time is almost twice as fast as C-8 boot time. Other performance metrics are not available.

21 Likes

Which if I’ve been paying attention, means it’s exactly 2 better than the prior chip.

4 Likes

Can Hubitat disclose whether that is from the CPU/memory, or due to a change in the storage technology/speed?

(if not, no big deal, just a curiosity thing really)

Well, could if I knew, but I don't. For various reasons studying performance hasn't been top of mind.

5 Likes

First thanks @bravenel for disclosing that info. It does a few things. First and most important it means there as has been allot of incorrect speculation in the past as it was thought it was a S905X in the newer models. It also validates some of what I was saying above.

If we go to the amlogic website it is possible to validate a few of my previous statements.

1. The process node did drop from 28nm to 12nm with the new chip and we did get a ARM base design bump from Coretex A53 to the A55 variant.
  2. We can also see in the specs of those SOC's that there is potential for a good memory improvement. The older chip had a 16 bit bus and that at latest went up to a 32bit bus with up to DDR4 2666 memory.
  3. The new SOC also seems to include a 10/100/1000 Mac so the network layer did get improved at some level.
  4. There does seem to be a bump in the storage perspective but based on the little bit i can find online it shouldn't be to significant.

I suspect there is allot of unknown good things coming from this SOC improvement and the two marketing points do not do it justice.

9 Likes

Agreed

1 Like

Does this change potentially alleviate the jumbo frames issue that some users have run into? We know home users don't need jumbo frames and advise them to disable that...but for those who do have them enabled intentionally or otherwise, this has been a mysterious and hard to diagnose stopper for them.

It should.

3 Likes

I would say potentially. It all depends on how the network interface and network stack is setup.

We won't fully know until someone tries it out.

4 Likes

@JasonJoel is getting two today...maybe we can talk him into trying jumbo frames w/one of his hubs and see what blows up?! :smiley:

3 Likes

Agreed... We will need to wait and see.

3 Likes

The Pro still only connects 100 Mb, so I'm not as optimistic it wouldn't still be affected by jumbo frames.

That's a hard one to test in any case. When I tested it last time, the issues were intermittent so could go days sometimes without knocking the hub off the network.

5 Likes

Thanks for the update. Looks like maybe not so many changes on the networking side.

Mine's been updated to arriving today...

3 Likes

Me two days ago:

Im Out Shark Tank GIF by ABC Network

..........Hmmmm

Let's Go Reaction GIF by The Lonely Island

5 Likes

How does the power consumption compare with the amateur C8?

1 Like