C8 vs C8 pro, differences?

Found a post from one of the Hubitat employees in another thread...

So, it does appear that at least rebooting the hub is about twice as fast. Hopefully that performance improvement translates into other aspects of the hub's performance as well.

3 Likes

We will all have to wait and see. What I can share having worked directly with them in the past, is that Bruce and the team have a very good long term vision.

We may not always agree with the approach, but that doesn’t mean they are not proceeding with the long game in mind. They don’t openly share their future plans, so don’t expect anything further to be announced before it’s ready for consumption.

5 Likes

Pretty sure he meant FOMO. :wink:

4 Likes

I call for a moment of silence to ponder the above statement.

In particular the- ...cost two to five times as much as this new C8-Pro. 

And you PAID THAT....and factoring in inflation those dollars you paid were worth even more.

Your honor, I rest my case.

Hubitat is at a point in their product evolution where they can stop fearing that adding MEANINGFUL hardware features & capability will force modest price increases that the market won't bear.

2 Likes

C-8 Pro - 229€ in Europe ...
:smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

I have long hoped for a faster hub with more memory... so I just ordered a C-8 Pro to replace my C-7 hub that runs nearly all my apps.

I have to think that will make things much snappier at times and I'm stoked to try it.

I'm wondering who (@gopher.ny , @bcopeland ?) might have some working knowledge about the load that a lot of Z-wave devices put on the CPU?

My other hub is a C-8 and has a lot of Z-wave devices (90) plus a number of Zigbee ones (29). If the additional CPU speed and memory would help during "high device activity" periods, I'd likely jump on getting a second one.

Thoughts?

1 Like

As a former Wink user, I appreacate that Hubitat releases hardware upgrades someone frequently.

It shows a devoted interest into their product.

10 Likes

It's amazing to me that the HE (whichever model) is such a small percentage of the overall cost of this stuff if you have more than a handful of devices, especially if you stick with "name brand" devices.

11 Likes

Exactly.

I see comments about the price, but the hub is the most important aspect of all. My budget is far from unlimited :joy:, but I'll definitely spend a few more bucks for a hub that works better than another. Um - hopefully none of the Hubitat folks see that comment. :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

I agree & will vent a little, too.

The feedback from many (including several "inside the bubble") was that C-8 was really for those who had particular issues with C-7, or C-5. So, I kept my C-7 up & only migrated to the C-8 from my C-5 about a month ago, because the chatter had died down about stability and compatibility. All three have been solid for me; didn't need the upgrades really.

Now, about a month after purchase, my C-8 is old too! So, I'm building quite the collection of Hubitat hubs...C5, C7, C8. (I only need one)

When a manufacturer gets to this point, releasing new versions in rapid succession, it risks pushing people like me out of the upgrade game altogether. Why bother to upgrade when a better version will be out in a few weeks? #exaggeration

vent complete

3 Likes

But I think hubitat would agree with that. :man_shrugging:

If you are OK with what you have, there is no reason to upgrade. Hubitat said that a zillion times when the C7 came out, and again when the C8 came out.

Just because people get FOMO when new shiny things come out, doesn't mean they are being left behind if they don't.

12 Likes

100%

I should clarify...still a HUGE Hubitat fan. Just stings a bit that there's little advance notice that a new version is on the horizon. I am NOT blaming Hubitat for me jumping in on the C-8 when I did. I almost held out for exactly this reason.

I like 'shiny'. I just hope they substitute the C-9 whenever I order my C-8 Pro! :laughing:

2 Likes

As noted, seems mostly like a FOMO issue. You have a working system and get to skip an "upgrade" that is probably nothing you need.

In the meantime Hubitat releases a version of the hub that has been asked for by some users for some time - 1) More memory; and 2) Faster CPU.

Seems like a win-win... :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If the new C8-Pro was $250, C8 still $150, I wouldn't whine as much. But, I now regret ever wasting my time with the migration hic-ups and ever dumping my C-7. I don't think the marketing team thought this through...

I agree that I will be hestitant to upgrade "quickly" moving forward..

2 Likes

Wonder if the NIC has been upgraded.

I also have a pile of dedicated hardware hubs accumulated over the past dozen years. Seems like new hardware every year in this segment. 5 from universal devices hubs, 3 Hubitat, 2 from Philips Hue, 2 from Amazon and one from Aqara, etc. Over the past couple of years it has become clear to me that I need move most things over to HA which I have running in a VM as just another workload on my home server with out any performance issues. Effectively these hubs have become gateways for devices to HA. If Matter fully materializes I can see all these Hubs that I have heading to the recycle bin.

1 Like

No one has specifically asked yet. My assumption has been that unless they say something was updated then it hasn't changed. However, and I don't know anything about the HE hardware (or HW in general, really), assuming it's an SOC setup then does seem the CPU change could have brought along a different NIC.

Some users have been clamoring for MOAR CPU and MOAR memory! It figures that there's a group complaining about it. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

My guess is that unforeseen lessons-learned (about higher-then-anticipated processing needs etc) were discovered as part of the Matter integration, and the Pro here is the answer to ensure best future compatibility & growth along those sort of lines.

I'm guessing that the staff would've loved to have had a crystal-ball about this when they rolled out the C8 not long ago, but back then, it probably just wasn't deemed that spec bumps like this would be a worthwhile upgrade.

7 Likes

I expect that I'm going to purchase the C-8 Pro, although not necessarily right away. I want to look at setting up hub mesh, moving my C-8 to the (detached) garage, replacing it with the C-8 Pro in the house which is the most demanding.

I hear the frustrations of some in this thread, particularly around recent purchases of the C-8 with this newer version now becoming available. Perspective is important. Many spend A LOT on cellphones, far more than any HE hub has ever cost. Personally, I see far more value in what I get out of my hub than my cellphone. I have spent less on all my HE hubs combined (C-5, C-7 and C-8) by about 50% than my last one cellphone alone.

Many years back, when technological develop was comparatively slow, I taught students then that if your plan is to wait for "the latest and greatest", you will be waiting forever. There is even more truth to this now with what is, in comparison, light-speed technological development. Waiting is fine, if there is no need for an immediate change, however the disappointment may still be very real when you pull the trigger on a purchase and a newer version is available in 12-months or less.

Looking at the differences here, and without having done side-by-side comparisons, I think the C-8 Pro is going to be most useful for those with a significant number of devices and numerous, more complex automations. Before feeling disappointment, consider what is most likely the target market for these upgrades.

4 Likes