C8 vs C8 pro, differences?

You are right. Forgot about that. Last time I ordered one of my C7 directly in the US. Worked well and the price might be almost the same.

Even if the price isn't cheap, it sounds interesting to me.

Blockquote You mean C-9 Pro? :sunglasses:

No, "C-9 Pro Max." :partying_face:

4 Likes

I did. I bought the C8 last summer. Migrated everything to it. Then moved all the non-Zigbee and non-Z-Wave stuff over to the C7. The Hub Mesh feature works fine, though it's dumb that HomeKit needs to run on both for integration. My old C-7 runs mostly WiFi integrations like Kasa, Govee, Ecobee, Broadlink, LifeX and EchoSpeaks. This reduces the load in the new C-8. I've been happy with the performance and can even get a month of uptime out of them before memory runs low. I'm flirting with the idea of whether I could get away with one hub again if I upgraded to the C-8 Pro. I'll be keeping an eye on this forum for user feedback. I have someone high hopes for the double memory. As someone noted (paraphrased) same old memory leaks with a bigger bucket.

1 Like

I believe you are correct in that the button is not on the "Cloud Backups" tab, it is on the "General" tab and it is identified as "Create new cloud backup" rather than "Backup Now". These errors, while relatively minor in my opinion, should be corrected to avoid confusion.

I feel people would not be as up in arms if they called it a C8+, C8 Rev 2, etc. The β€œPro” moniker seems to imply more than just a hardware bump. Maybe new capabilities are on the horizon.

I’m happy with my C7. No plans to upgrade. Though if they come out with a C9 with Thread, I’m upgrading immediately :grin:

If this was right after one of the sales they ran last year, they had so many new users the support got very back logged. Not an excuse but just saying that's not the normal response time from what I have seen on here.

Is it still showing screenshots from the old UI? Not everything may have been updated for that. Also the path is different depending on if you have Hub Protect or not, you do not need a migration backup if you already have Hub Protect cloud backups (they are the same thing).

You can transfer: NEW! Transfer active subscription(s) from one hub to another

If you have Hub Protect already, then you do not need to use the special "migration" backup system. Keep your subscription on the old hub until migration is confirmed. Do a normal cloud backup on the source hub, then log in to the same account on the new hub and restore from the cloud backup. Once complete and confirmed you can transfer the subscription if the old hub is being decommissioned.

*I think some C5 models the Z-wave radio cannot be migrated (may be noted in docs). I think it was mainly models with a European external z-wave radio if my memory is correct (or was that only the C4?).

*I know that staff already said they were working on a C8 -> C8Pro migration feature, I think this is only for people without Hub Protect since if you already have cloud backups it should just transfer over with that.

4 Likes

Can we copy this name?? Thanks in advance...

15 Likes

I’d be honored.

There are some people in Cupertino that may have other thoughts though.

1 Like

"C9 doubleplusgood"

2 Likes

CC99

Double the C, Double the 9!

3 Likes

Double the flavor?

1 Like

Exactly. Rock of Ages.

1 Like

So let me get this straight. The C8 was released almost a year ago (march 2023 so 10 months). Now they've come out with a product that has some improvements that a minority of users were fussing about not having (and the majority of people don't really need) for 10 bux more and people are upset??? WTF? By that logic no company should sell any type of improved device at any time. Sheesh...

Scenario: I bought a 2023 f-150 lightning right before the 2024 version was released! The 2024 version has a new chip design adding 10 more miles per charge and an extra power adapter in the bed.... Why did no one tell me about this!? I'm angry I bought this only a month before the 2024, I wanna return it!!!!!

Ok, does any one but me see how silly this sounds? JFC people.... Sure I like the specs on the pro... Am I gonna buy one? Not right now... Why? Because my c8 is more than robust enough for the 200 odd devices I have (lutron, z-wave, zigbee, and wifi) with plenty of memory and usage at 0.25 max cpu usage... Hubitat is doing an amazing job in the market and hopefully the new mobile app will go into beta soon...

Be happy with what you have and stop the FOMO of what you don't... it's silly.

6 Likes

Exactly. Or follow your FOMO, if you wish, and if it's in range of a spontaneous buy for ya.

2 Likes

True dat'

I am waiting to hear from people with them in their hands.

I have a C8, but I think I can sell it to a friend who wants to start a home, was gonna sell my c5 , but I think I will keep it and mesh it with my c8/pro .

I use my C5 , it does not have a lot on it, but when I use the interface its a ton faster because there is not a lot on it. Meaning that a bit extra memory and CPU on the c8Pro, I am sure it will be a lot faster and smoother., I know I have some inefficent rules for example that will just make me happier if they were faster (Until I can get some time to build them up in 5.1.)

but ill wait to see what others say?

1 Like

Mine is on order - really excited to finally replace my overloaded C5. And I personally love that Hubitat is committed to ongoing HW improvements. In the early days I questioned their longevity and always assumed some big tech company would snap them up like what happened with our once-beloved SmartThings startup, but I have long accepted that my concerns were misplaced. I also keep thinking there will be some consolidation of small smart home players but that never happened either, and instead the stragglers like Stringify just die unceremoniously. It will be interesting to watch how Matter influences the landscape.

1 Like

What gets me and kinda dissapoints me here with the release of the C8 Pro, is that they did not give it to any of the press to release a some reviews of it. Usualy they give it to someone for a few weeks/months and then give them an embargo where they cant talk about it until its released

also , nobody published any testing results.

They are kinda asking us to jump on a bandwagon that might not be anything all that great. I am ok with being wrong here, but i would have just liked some more info other than just some specs to sell me.

I will prob end up getting it, cause any little bit of performace will do for me, and I have someone I can sell my regular C8 to.. but still.

just my 2 pence.

I don't think they are asking you or anyone to do anything...the hub is for sale, we can all buy it now or wait for more info if we feel we want that before committing. Up to us to do what we want, when we want, no projectile weapon pointed at our heads/wallets. :slight_smile:

8 Likes