C8 vs C5 Hardware Question

Does the C8 have a faster process in comparison the earlier models such as the C5, and C7?

No. The processor and memory are the same across the 3 hubs. The hardware differences are that the C-7 has a Z-Wave 700 chip vs the C-5's 500 series. The C-8 adds external antennae (very significant upgrade) and Zigbee 3.0 (edit: and onboard wifi).

But in terms of "processing power," all 3 are identical.

2 Likes

The C-8 also has a Z-Wave 800 chip.

3 Likes

Thanks. Missed that one. Also, C-5/7 use micro usb for power vs the C-8 using USB-C.

2 Likes

Also the C8 will support matter/thread and the c5/c7 will be matter only. The C8 also supports Z-wave-LR. The C7 does as well with a firmware update but not sure if they will ever do it for the c7.

Are people still having issues with hubs slowing down and requiring reboots?

On the C8 - not that I've seen.

Some C8 users are having issues w/Zigbee and to a lesser extend Z-Wave devices having performance issues, or being difficult to join to the hub. It's a new hub, w/new radios and Zigbee stack, so it's got some growing pains.

1 Like

Is Z-wave LR the same as LoRa? I see Ring outdoor motion sensor is LoRa but not sure it's the same as Long rang Z-wave.

LoRaWAN vs. Zigbee wireless technologies

The key selling point for LoRaWAN is that it is low cost, long-range, and low power sensing, which makes it a great rival or Zigbee. Among the major variances in the LoRa vs. Zigbee debate is the fact that LoRa uses a star network topology while Zigbee uses a mesh network topology.

What this means for LoRa is that each device node communicates with a specific gateway. In the case of Zigbee, each node can communicate with any other node in the mesh network, making it ideal for distant multi-hopping. When used with the right device design, Zigbee can easily rival the power efficiency of LoRa.

LoRaWAN vs. Z-wave wireless technologies

Z-Wave and Zigbee are quite similar in that they are both low-power networks that work under a mesh protocol and are meant for short to medium-distance data exchange. On the flip side, LoRa runs under a star network topology, where every node communicates with a specific gateway.

Thanks for the link! Guess it's not. Was hoping to use some ring outdoor motion.

So will the C8 or C7 be able to support any particular type of LoRa/LoRaWan devices? Goal being a sensor that is at quite some distance from hub? Something like YoLink? Or better?

Z-wave has a long range that is just rolling out. Because it is Z-wave, it should be completely compatible with Hubitat natively.

The Yolink are proprietary, and they likely will never have native integration nor do they appear to want to have local integration. It is cloud only, which to me is a turn off. LoRa might be able to be integrated locally, but I am not aware of any that currently do.

I would hold tight, ZW-LR should be coming to Hubitat now that we have the 800 series, and more importantly devices (sensors etc) are appearing on the market.

don't buy the c-8, it has a whole lot of networking issues, at least mine does, and all I keep getting told by support is they're "working on it" no timetable has been given about a fix or any progress. I'm going back to my C-7.

I see you didn't respond to any of the queries for additional information (for eg, from @rlithgow1) on the thread you started about Alexa not working consistently on your C-8.

Any particular reason you chose to disengage?

1 Like

Good to know.

Seams like this is a trend right now…

Alexa disconnecting is not a "trend right now"...

3 Likes

Where did you get that from? The only instance I know if @dlehmer. AFAICT, they haven't followed up on multiple attempts from the community to troubleshoot their issue.

1 Like

I’m done with this hub. It’s on my routers DMZ and it still doesn’t work. I’ve had it. I’ve gotten Amazon to take it back outside the 30 day warranty. I’ll go back to my c-7 with zero problems. My networking equipment is not to blame. I went on Reddit, and apparently everyone wants to blame users networking equipment. I can’t get a warranty replacement.

This hub has a defective networking stack and all I can get for an official response is “we’re looking into it.” No timeline, no apology for rushing it to market, nothing. It wasn’t ready for primetime. Lesson learned.

I don’t have a single good thing to say about the c-8.

I’m still waiting on you @mike.maxwell to transfer my subscriptions back to my c-7 like I asked you to do and you replied to my message, but you have not done that yet, so I know you’ve gotten my message.

1 Like

Should of been more clear, the trend is in regards to many people having multiple issues. At least it seems.