C8 unresponsive - initializing 15% updating database

I used a local one, and actually everything finally just loaded.

1 Like

Excellent - that is the expected outcome when doing a soft-reset/restore backup, you should lose nothing while recovering from database corruption that may have occurred. Store this info away for potential future use, and make sure your hub is shut down before removing power, either via the USB cord or flipping a circuit. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For future reference I already had instructions for fixing this issue typed up in multiple threads.

Newest:

Older:

4 Likes

I'm having the same problem with my C8, even when I power it down using the built-in command from the settings. Never, ever, ever I am able to simply power it down without having to do a soft reset afterward. It's always stuck at Initializing Hub: 15% - updating database. Of my 4 hubs (1C4, 2C5s, 1C8), this is the one I'm having most trouble with.

I have noticed multiple threads with similar issues too. However, I might be hyper aware myself since I had the same thing happen to my C7 (blue light stuck on 15% after a power outage). I have to wonder if there is a broader issue at hand with one of the updates. While I was able to revert back to an earlier version, I'm hesitant to upgrade again.

@elfege I found my most recent thread with updated instructions here: Hub stuck initializing at 15% w/ blue light - #2 by jtp10181

Instructions:

Use the diagnostic tool: Hubitat Diagnostic Tool | Hubitat Documentation

Click Download backups > download all your backups to your PC

Do a soft reset, then restore from your newest downloaded backup. (Restoring a backup does not change the firmware version, you can restore any backup to any firmware, does not need to match).

If still hanging up, try your next newest backup, etc... try all the backups newest to oldest to see if one will work.

Often times going back one or two backups is what fixes it.

If none of that works, try using Restore Previous Version to roll back to a prior major firmware version, then try the above again.

Does this solve the issue or are you saying that even after fixing it, the next reboot it gets stuck again?

1 Like

@rlithgow1 , are you serious that I'm going to have to reinitialize all my z-wave devices after I get this database and backup restored? I'm still within my 30 days. Tempted to send it back. I don't need this level of frustration. Ran ST for years without something like this.

No, you wont, where does it say that?
The z-wave radio is only cleared if you do a Full Reset or a Z-Wave radio reset which has bold red warnings in the new diagnostic tool.

@rlithgow1 stated above in this post that if not using a cloud backup z-wave radio settings won't get restored.. I'm now restored and it looks like I'm good from a local backup. However, I want to know what I'm missing by only having remote access, and not cloud backup, other than a cloud backup.

That user said they needed to re-add their devices, which was probably an assumption before they actually got the backup restored and not actually correct. That was why he replied with that comment.

Here is the info on Hub Protect: Hub Protect | Hubitat Elevation®

Which includes the cloud backup feature among other things.
The main intention of that service is that if your hub died (even outside of warranty) that you can be back up and running as you were as quickly and easily as possible.

The cloud backup is the only way to back up the z-wave and zigbee radio data, and honestly you should only need it after a total hub failure. There is never a good reason (or need) to do a full reset on the radio unless you really want to start over from scratch on purpose.

1 Like

It’s fine that Hubitat provides services that turn a profit for them. In fact, when I was in consideration mode I really wondered where the profit would come from outside of hub sales. That said, I think caveats that hold the potential for such high levels of frustration should be made readily known, and not in the aftermath of database corruption.

This happened to me while trying to get switched back to ethernet from wifi. I do wish it weren’t so finicky. I’m getting cranky in my elder years after decades of waiting on technology to grow up and play nicely. Alas, it was a tad easier than formatting my first 5MB hard drive on my 8086 PC…

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback. Do you mind elaborating on this, a little bit more? Where would these caveats be stated that aren't already?

For example, the documentation on Backup and Restore page clearly states what is expected to be restored with a local backup vs. cloud backup, as provided by Hub Protect add on service:

2 Likes

FWIW I have had my hub since early 2021, migrated from a C7 to a C8, and I do not think I have EVER needed to do a soft reset due to not being able to boot the hub. Your particular issue has effected a very small % of people and only recently.

1 Like

Thanks for checking-in, Bobby.

I’m not here with a sharp background in how these various devices work. I can certainly figure things out when the time arises, but the language in the Hub Protect description is not detailed enough to tell me that without a cloud backup I would have to exclude and reinclude my z-wave devices under certain circumstances. I have a couple z-wave devices in locations that I’m now too old to get to by myself, and that’s significant. I still don’t have them migrated from ST because I don’t readily have anyone available to help me. I know I’m among only a few who are doing this at my age, but there will be more coming.

The answer to your question is, "on the Hub Protect sales page."

And thanks, @jtp10181, for helping me out so quickly. I really appreciate it.

And to be clear, this really should only be in the event of total hub failure, where it needs to be replaced with a new hub. The radio itself should never need to be reset and restored from a backup.

1 Like

@mazdaspeed Just to expand upon jtp's post, Hubitat has actually discouraged people from resetting the radios where users lose their Z-wave or Zigbee devices. For example, staff have removed the radio reset buttons from the main interface, and hid them in the diagnostics menu which most people shouldn't be regularly accessing.

Staff even removed the full reset (permanent delete of everything button) for a time, but users for some reason feel that they needed that option, so due to complaints, staff have put it back in a hidden menu.

There are big bold warnings and even a checkbox where you have to acknowledge that you will lose your devices before the hub will permanently delete things within these reset menus. You would have to be purposefully wanting to delete things, there is almost no way to accidentally delete.

The only reason you should lose devices permanently is due to a hub failure, or you are messing around with something you should not. Both scenarios can be mitigated if you buy the optional protect service where you can have a off-site cloud backup.

1 Like

@mazdaspeed I guess I should have been a bit more clear.

The z-wave radio is usually fine even during a soft reset of the unit. Local backups don't back up the radio databases.

So what this means is that if you reset your zigbee/z-wave radios and restore from local backup, the devices will no longer be attached to the radios.

Or

If your hub fails and you get a replacement, the local backups (which you can also save to your computer) will NOT restore the radios to the new hub. For that to happen you would need a Hub Protect subscription. This is clearly laid out in the documentation.

The other nice thing about hub protect is if your hub dies outside of warranty, you will receive a new one at no additional charge to you in which you can do a full restore including your radios and just keep on trucking.

1 Like

No joy. And now it won't even reboot after a soft reset... stuck at 15%. This hub has never, ever worked properly since I purchased it. I opened a ticket but I can't afford to wait for a replacement so I ordered a next day delivery on Amazon for a new Hub. I am very disappointed, it clearly looks like a built-in hardware problem. @bobbyD if you find the time to take a look, I have submitted the mac address in the ticket. Would be great to have lower level access to the firmware logs and see what's really happening there.

Will do, but stuck at 15% is not something we have seen to be related to any kind of hardware issue, so I don't think a replacement will help. But please keep us posted if you have a better experience with the newly purchased hub. We will reach out if we have any suggestions on how to resolve the problem with your existing hub.

Stuck at 15% after a soft reset... with prior symptoms such as impossibility to download the latest firmware update (systematically fails, even from port :8081 interface " Could not download latest update, please try again later."). Lots of other symptoms indicated that the memory just can't be written.