C8 Totally Unresponsive. This Common?

I'm trying to split, in MY head, if the Hub is running normally on the non-UI side. If you had an automation that turned on a light every hour and off 6 mins later, then, when you could not reach the hub's UI, and the light continued to turn on and off per schedule, then we'd have one more clue. As has been mentioned, it's a very unusual set of symptoms you have here. Jumbo frames and DHCP issues have both occurred often enough that you got asked those questions already.

Said another way, AFTER you detect the hub is nonresponsive is it still running automations? When you have automations that run once a day, which is, as you know, normal, it's hard to sit around and wait for a whole day to answer this curiosity I have.

1 Like

IMO, I would say that it can happen some times. Unplug the hub for 30 seconds then plug back in.

Once it boots up you might want to do another reboot with the Advanced > Rebuild database selected just in case anything got corrupted.

If it only happens once in a great while its going to be hard to nail down. If it happens on a regular basis then its much more annoying and cause for concern.

Yes, but it is a small business that I think has a rapidly growing customer base currently. Recently it seems like responses are a bit slow at times. I have been told the best way to engage support is file a warranty claim or PM @support_team

1 Like

If you had an automation that turned on a light every hour and off 6 mins later, then, when you could not reach the hub's UI, and the light continued to turn on and off per schedule, then we'd have one more clue. <<

Ok, good test. I have not rebooted the C8 yet. Lets see if 30 min. before sunset tonight the living room light comes on. I'll keep you posted.

I can see this hub has huge potential, and I like a lot about it, But now my concern is, even if I get it working, do I want to build my whole home automation on a device from a company that cannot even be contacted by its paying customers? I'm just getting a real bad vibe about the company right now. I wish them well, and being a small company can be tough (I know), but I think I saw some people left the company not too long ago....this all has me having 2nd thoughts about relying on Hubitat and a C8.

I'll let you know later if this light comes on.

Jeff-

It's a great question and seems to apply to larger companies too. Is Ezlo easier to contact? The Staff of Hubitat visit these topics all the time. I think it's the new normal that support is mostly online for a lot of companies that formed in the past 8-10 years. You have a dozen people jumping in attempting to help. Yes, a dozen people will have a dozen ideas and that sorta falls into the too-much-help category, perhaps. You got 7 helpful responses in the first few hours.

You alone can decide if Hubitat is right for you but I think you're reading to much into your unique situation. All the people trying to help have 4+ years of Hubitat experience. Most with enough experience and a willingness to help that they are Ambassadors. Are you actually going to get 25+ years of actual experience targeting your specific issue if you call a phone center?

I await news on your sunset light :smiley:

3 Likes

Some people do find the lack of phone or email contacts to be off putting.

But staff regularly participate in discussions here, and provide tech support when fellow users are unable to adequately resolve an issue for someone. The support staff were notified about this thread when @jtp10181 pinged @support_team a few posts back, and someone will no doubt respond as soon as they can.

If you are convinced you received a lemon that never worked correctly out of the box, then you can still submit a warranty request using the web form. There is of course no guarantee that the issues you’re having can actually be attributed to hardware failure, since many other factors can also be at play, but it is possible.

Most of us find Hubitat to be reliable, and the staff to be very responsive to user issues. I hope you’re able to get there soon as well, with some additional troubleshooting here.

People join and leave companies of all sizes all the time. This company has been around for at least six years, and most of the current staff were there for the founding. Some of the founding staff have left. Others have joined since the company was created.

If you’re worried that Pete Borchers leaving last year (the only public-facing staff member I’m aware of that left ”not too long ago”) has some kind of implication for the company’s long-term stability, I think your concern is misplaced.

7 Likes

Here is the response you're waiting for :slight_smile: But first, why would you have regrets if the hub has been working fine for the past few months? Usually a hub with a hardware issue will simply not work consistently. An intermittently working hub is more so indicative of local environmental issues. The "No response from hub" message points to network issues. We often see this happen when customers are trying to connect to the hub from a mobile device that is connected to a cellular network. To resolve that problem the user needs to make sure that the mobile device and the hub are on the same network segment.

If you believe that this is not a network problem, or if you'd like to make sure that you are not dealing with some kind of hardware malfunction, please send me a private message along with your hub ID and I'd be glad to further assist.

6 Likes

csteele,

Sorry for the slow reply. Got side tracked with a couple things here. And sadly the living room light did not come on 30 min. before sunset, last night or tonight either. I still have not restarted the Hubitat, I wanted to see what would happen. But its clear that even if it was a network issue the Hubitat is still not executing code properly.

I also put my coffee maker on a Wyze Plug temporarily, so I could turn on my coffee maker in the mornings. The Hubitat still does not show up on my network.

I been making a good faith effort to resolve this (for a few months). But there appears to be an issue with my Hubitat. And I just need something more reliable.

Thanks for the suggestion though,
Jeff

Hi Bobby,

It has not been working fine the past few months. I've had issues where every few weeks it just goes off my network and does not execute code. i.e. just stops working. I can't have this. I travel often and can't have this just stop working at any given time. This is not reliable, for me anyway.

I been trying to resolve this for a few months. I give up. If you can tell me how to contact the company for a refund I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jeff

This:

Doesn’t track with this

particularly when the forum software notes that it’s been a couple of months between posts.

3 Likes

Look no further than the post you replied to. In particular last sentence.

"Doesn't track with this"

"particularly when the forum software notes that it’s been a couple of months between posts."

....these replies don't make any sense to me. Started using Hubitat 11/30/23. As I said Feb. 3rd, my "several week old C8 totally unresponsive". Feb 16th I stated "Well guys, it happened again...". Another failure April 18th. How is a failure every several weeks "normal"? Just a FYI My 2012 Vera Lite and 2019 Vera Plus have gone pretty much years with no failure.

" Look no further than the post you replied to. In particular last sentence."

Are you saying PM you?

Just pointing out that you’re making contradictory statements….

1 Like

And would they be??

And what kind of "Warranty" is "90 Days"? ...and what kind of "new" electronic devices fails after a few weeks, then there is no way to contact the company that made it?

Jeff

Go back a few posts I quoted them for you…

1 Like

Did you read @bobbyD’s instructions on how to contact him?

There is no conflict, thebearmay

I have been messaging him, up to 5 now. He has chosen to not reply now. Boy, this is some company. And when companies fail to even talk to or support their customers history has shown they don't last long. And I made a long good faith effort to get this Hubitat working reliably. And it won't. Imagine if your TV or iPhone or coffee maker just stopped working reliably after a few weeks....and the company won't even respond to you? Honestly, this is REALLY bizarre to me.

Wait what? I replied to your private message 2 hours ago. I see that you've responded to my message, so I am reading those now. Please note that official support is closed on weekends, but we are known to respond promptly when users have emergencies, as you might have noticed.

4 Likes

OKAY… looks like your problem is way beyond a hub issue…

5 Likes

Ok everyone, I stand corrected. Bobby replied again about 20 min. ago and I just saw it, I think we have a resolution to this. But a big Thank You to everyone here for the suggestions and help here. At this point I need to move on right now though, but I'm rooting for Hubitat, I think it has great potential. Maybe in a year or two I'll try it again. But for now, Thank Again, Jeff