C8 pro, another new hub? I'm confused

A new hub? Fun! Who cares if I don't really need it?

Ordered. Can't wait!

S.

3 Likes

I love to support these guys, but, come on, give me some real specs. I just upgraded to the C8 recently myself. love it. I have over 50 wireless devices and certainly a little lag on some things. But, does this justify the “pro” version? Or is this more of a Hotel management type of device? like 100+ devices (door locks at a hotel)?

1 Like

So why not say " we have a new hub coming out next week, would you like to wait before purchasing the C8?"

1 Like

Again they miss the mark. Why not launch this with a beautiful dashboard that shuts everyone, including me up and marketing it so that you need the new hub for the processing power?

Literally would have had my money.

Now I'll just continue using my C7s and HomeAssistant. In fact I just bought a zigbee radio for HA so I'm using Hubitat for less and less these days.

So guys for a non Teccy like me. I have a C7 which I'm extremely happy with. if I upgrade to a C8-P. Will my automations become faster?

In particular if motion is detected, will the lights come on a little faster? I.e. will my 1 second delay reduce

That’s a risk we all take when we purchase tech products like this. I bought a SmartThings V1 hub a couple months before their V2 hub came out (years ago). It happens. It seems like you’ve been thinking about buying that C8 since about a month after it was released.

3 Likes

Impossible to say without understanding in more detail why your automations are delayed like that (which is a discussion better fit for another thread). But I would not put my money on the hub’s ram or CPU speeds.

I hear ya, but then it quickly turns into "But I was just 2 (4, 6, 8...) weeks away, why didn't I get a head's-up?".

That line in the sand has to get drawn somewhere. We've all gotten burned by it with something at some point. It's no fun, but just how it goes. Rota Fortunae and all that.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m not thrilled that I only got my C8 a couple of months ago, but that’s technology for you.

Most companies have started working on the next hardware version before the ink is dry on the marketing brochures for the “new” one.

2 Likes

Could you imagine Chevrolet/Ford/Dodge doing this for a vehicle?

"Don't buy a new truck now, we are going to have an improved one next year".

Literally no company would do this.

8 Likes

It’s called the Osborne Effect.

PS no relation to me.

5 Likes

Hmmm, interesting comments that seem to suggest that bringing out new hardware is unusual. Hello? Heard of iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, etc. etc. ??

It's coming up on 6 years since we first introduced Hubitat Elevation (1/30/18), and C-8 Pro is our fifth generation Hubitat Elevation.

19 Likes

Just out of curiosity, is the new C8-Pro SoC using a newer arm architecture?

1 Like

Ill be waiting to see if they are on sale for one of the Summer holidays. I would like to get one, but honestly, my current hubs are working pretty well at the moment. Nothing is really pushing for the next great thing at the moment.

2 Likes

@mike.maxwell is the new C8-Pro SoC using a newer arm architecture?

What does that have to do with anything. And the car companies do let you know when the new models are coming out.

Let's end this conversation.

It means they’ll release new hardware on whatever timeline they decide to.

Users will have to decide when or if they want the absolute newest hardware every time it is released.

4 Likes

Yeah, I gotta back @bravenel and his peers here. When I go to the farm shop and buy a sirloin, I don't get miffed when they have a fillet for sale the following week.

It's easy to criticise, but let's give context. If HE remained with a C8 for the next few years, then nobody would complain about the new C8-P release because there would be no future product to condemn. However if a few years elapsed without an evolution like the C8-P, then folks would moan and say that HE staff are not modernising their products. They can't win amongst moaners.

Come on guys, cut HE Staff some slack. Lets not forget that their product is local, excellent, reliable cheap and getting better. Why wouldn't they keep advancing the product. Lets face it, their margins must be tight, given that they don't sell smart sensors.

Just my tuppence

10 Likes

Ohh go digging in the forums. Numerous times over the past few years this is EXACTLY what people have said they would pay more for in a pro version. They just gave the market what it has said it wanted for years.

8 Likes

Those complaining are just in a fear of missing out…

I have been on the fence on C8 for a while, I still have a C7, and I could still be on the fence, but then… the arguments that prevented me from buying a C8 are still to date for the C8 Pro: my C7 works just fine, so why would I change it ?

I don’t need newer Zwave, nor larger Zigbee range, nor more CPU (my hub rarely goes above 20%)…

If you change only for the sake of changing, then fine, be angry that you changed recently, but you should be angry at yourself, not at Hubitat…

4 Likes