C8 Migration Hue Motion Sensors not working [Solved] (hub replacement)

I blame myself...my "UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE NOW!!!" brain waves must have seeped over into your consciousness. Apologies... :man_bowing:

2 Likes

Z-Wave rules!

So... after taking two hubs to .117 and setting them side by side (but on different zigbee channels) one can include devices like it's going out of style. The other - my original migration hub - cannot. It is on channel 20, which is the channel I started on 3 years ago.

I'm now going to migrate the original hub - the one having issues - to another C8 and see what happens.

Hue Exterior motion on C8 that had been working for many days on .110 stopped working after .117 (skipped .113). Rolling back to .110 on C8 and moving all my C8 Hue sensors to Hue hub to be used in Apple Home. My C5 is on .105 and all the C5 Hue motions function normally and have for years. Enough is enough.

Just about three days; new personal best.

What I said in another post the release of C8 is and was not ready and now we all have to find other ways to make this work as before! It is very difficult for most folks to spend hours and hours to fix what we can’t resolve with out a good software update

We understand there will be bugs but this is notable issues that should have been backward compatible!

1 Like

After much trial and tribulation and a few hub migrations I have my original C8 configuration on a new hub on channel 20 and next to it another C8 on channel 25. The original configuration on the new hub cannot include zigbee devices - they either get stuck on initializing if they are a new device or they re-pair an existing device but that device is not functional. On the new C8 on channel 25 I can pair new devices and re-pair old devices and both work fine. Both hubs are on .117. My original pre-migration C7 was on channel 20.

Have any of you seen anything under Child Data?

I haven't seen anything there for the last three days since .117.
My problem outdoor Hue motion hasn't dropped during that time either.
I'm figuring if I see something under Child Data, it's not a good sign.

What happens if you turn off the hub running zigbee on channel 25, set the original migration hub to channel 25? If that does not solve anything one has to wonder if there is something wrong with the original migration process :confused:

I’m happy to report that after migrating my ikea blinds and a handful of other Zigbee devices back to my C7 yesterday….they are all working flawlessly the last 24hrs.

I wish there was an easier way to do it but it was worth it. After 3 weeks with the C8 I almost forgot what it was like for everything to just work correctly

1 Like

That's a good thought and I did think of that - maybe I should. But my main Hue hub is on channel 25 and I would like to keep them separate. I could move one of them to channel 15...

As my zigbee mesh slowly rebuilds after this latest migration I noticed something odd... this sensor is not line powered and is not a repeating device yet it shows up looking like one.

1 Like

Alternatively, shutdown the original migration hub and set the other hub (you say is on 25) to 20. I am trying to eliminate channel 20 as a cause for problems. I'd be surprised if it was and I am more suspicious of the migration itself.

Whats a mystery to me is why only some have these issues and other not. I removed my Hue sensors but anything else works fine. I can add/remove/re-add zigbee devices to my hearts content and I am using channel 20.

1 Like

Yeah I agree but it all worked fine on the C7. I've also been around the house with a spectrum analyzer to validate that there is nothing interfering with channel 20, and there doesn't appear to be. It's clear of my APs. And I can fire up another C7 (not the original one) on channel 20 and include things just fine.

If I understand correctly, you have migrated your original C7 to both hubs?? Each one caused issues after migration but worked fine right out of the box???

No... it's a long and sordid tale. Originally I migrated my C7 to a C8 oh, say, 6 or 7 weeks ago now. I had problems with both zigbee and z-wave so I got a 2nd hub just to eliminate a hardware problem and migrated from the original C8 to the second C8. Maybe 5 weeks ago. Same issues on both zigbee and z-wave. So this morning I though gee you know the only thing I haven't tried is a brand new hub with a new set of stock antennas, so I migrated from the 2nd C8 to a third one an hour or so.

Zigbee network right now is almost completely inoperative. Hopefully it will come back. Z-wave is looking OK but that generally takes a couple days to fully recover.

And yeah I have the migration method down pretty good at this point :slight_smile: Not to mention a stack of hubs!

1 Like

Not really. The z-wave issues became apparent pretty quickly, The first issue I had was with Ring security keypads that were working fine on the C7 and became unreliable on the C8. I had a bunch of other issues too - z-wave devices suddenly going offline at various times through the day, devices that were working one day stopped working the next, lots and lots of devices showing up with only on neighbor for weeks, and so on. I did a TON of troubleshooting and was never really able to pin down the issues other than I ditched a couple of sensors that seemed to be rerouing a lot. I'm still having z-wave issues today. Just yesterday I un-paired and re-paired an aeotec trisensor, tested it, worked fine yesterday, showed up as a ghost this morning.

The zigbee issues started pretty early on too - the first I noticed was the hue motion sensors but then it started to spread to INNR and Sengled outlets, ST water leak sensors, a couple of ST motion sensors, and so on. Some of them I have re-paired and they have stayed with me. Others are an issue every few days. Even across the same brand of sensor - I have one Sengled contact sensor that keeps dropping off but others that are fine.

The .117 build has made my HUE motion sensors rock steady.

1 Like

Here's what my table is looking like these days.
Everything's working well. There, I jinxed it again.

I've only done one migration (from a small test C-7 setup to the C-8 when I first got it); not sure what happens when the C-8 to C-8 is migrated. Are you seeing unique PAN ID's / Extended PAN ID's on all your hubs?

Migration causes duplication of both short and extended PAN ID's; this scenario can't be detected by the built-in PAN ID conflict detection (it only checks the short PAN ID since there's more likelihood of a conflict). The assumption when the spec was developed was that 64 bit extended PAN ID's would always be unique when being randomly regenerated. Migration copies them and kills that assumption. If two hubs with conflicting extended PAN ID's are on simultaneously, weird things will happen.

They're supposed to be randomized automatically whenever the Zigbee radio gets reset (as you're supposed to do as part of post-migration when putting the 'source' hub back in ), still I have now an issue with my migrated C-7 where it will NOT randomize its short PAN ID or Extended PAN ID when its Zigbee radio gets reset... it's very strange. Resetting its Zigbee radio seemingly sets all digits of both short and extended PAN ID's to zeroes when the radio comes up.. but not really; when the hub gets rebooted, both short PAN ID and extended return to the same setting they were on before the radio got reset (and that's the same short/extended PAN ID's that the C-8 is using). Have done it multiple times and cannot get the C-7 to change... another odd bug.

EDIT: was able to resolve by (against current recommendation) switching C-7 to new Zigbee stack via endpoint, then doing Zigbee radio reset (C-7 on .112 firmware during this scenario). "Stuck" PAN ID's were then correctly set to newly randomized ones.

3 Likes