C8 Migration from C7

I have not had to re-pair any devices post migration to the C-8. My Hue Outdoor motion sensor has been working fine on the C-8. No issues whatsoever.

Early on in the beta testing, Hub Mesh devices did not automagically reconnect. Thus, I had to re-do my two Hub Mesh devices. This may have been corrected in a more recent release, but I’m not sure about that.

1 Like

Ahh interesting. None of my hub mesh devices automatically reconnected, I had to go into settings and relink them, the go through swap app devices and replace the now offline devices with the newly linked devices. I still have at lease 1 hue motion sensor that wasn't playing well last night.

1 Like

I believe so, @bobbyD is aware of the Hue motion sensor issues some are reporting. My two Hue outdoor motion sensors are also "event free" since the migration to the C-8. I haven't tried to re-pair them, will likely give that a shot tomorrow...

I had exactly the same experience...bit of a pain! I had the mesh set up so that all my dashboards were on one device. All those dashboards are also blank...DOH.

Also, all the new hubs are named **** (new) and the the old hub is still in the registered hub view. It's a bit cumbersome, now that I have 6 hubs listed. I will have to get the admin to remove the older hubs.

Yes, it has. We've added a new tab to the Hub Mesh page called Update where users can restore the links that have been migrated from a previous hub.

1 Like

That wouldn't be necessary. Once the links have been restored, the offline prefix should go away (in some rare cases, a hub reboot may be needed).

1 Like

weird my hue front door is working fine and reportying illum, motion and temp

1 Like

I have maybe 8 of them outside. When I first did the migration they were all working. Gradually they started falling off. Eventually I got them all back on, and then they started falling off again. Some of them have been re-paired 3 or 4 times. I have also tried removing them completely, factory resetting them, and trying again. Same thing happens.

Yeah, it seems like it's one of those YMMV issues. Mine show all stopped since directly after the upgrade, so connection seems clear. I'm going to reset/re-pair them and hopefully things will clear up.

Just got free from guests for a moment (they are off to an errand) so re-paired one of the Hue outdoor motion sensors and it paired right up easily, keeping same name, etc., of course. I'll try the other later as it's in a more difficult mount to get at. But one working again so far, hopefully it'll stay on my mesh. I have a SonOff USB Zigbee repeater about 10' from it so it has plenty of help to connect if needed.

Arrggggh! Lol. I missed this and did it manually!

Ah well, the upgrade from 2 c7s to 2 c8s was relatively painless. Now to finally move my devices off that last holdout C4!

S

2 Likes

Ouch! That'll leave a mark. :slight_smile:

My network is nearly all zigbee (~ 50 zigbee devices, incl 8 outlets acting as zigbee routers, and 1 z-wave device). I initially did a migration C7 to C8 with 2.3.5.101. The C8 worked for ~ 15 hours, then zigbee died hard and I could get it back - wouldn't get beyond INITIALISING no matter what I tried. I shut down the C8 and went back to my C7, and after the zigbee mesh straightened back out, all was fine. I since updated my C7 to 2.3.5.103, and updated the C8 to 2.3.5.103 and then took a new cloud backup of my C7, shut it down, brought up the C8 and tried restoring that cloud backup, and get this (tried at least 3 times now, same error each time).

Screen Shot 2023-03-05 at 4.34.09 PM

Suggestions please?

I have shutdown the C8 and am once again back to my C7 (which is still working).

Please send us a message at @support_team along with your hubs ids. For the moment I recommend going back to C7 while we are investigating. It is safe to keep the C8 online since the backup failed to restore.

1 Like

Will do, thank you!

Just try to name a support forum where the company support team is present and assisting customers on a Sunday afternoon...I know, you can't, aside from Hubitat. Kudos are due, and so I offer them. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Got my new C-8 this afternoon and fired it up. Since my C-3 won't migrate (and I was curious how a Zigbee migration would go) I took my idle C-7 and joined to it a couple of Iris V2 contact sensors, Aqara Zigbee 3.0 4-button switch, Third Reality motion sensor, an Iris V2 motion sensor, and a GE plug-in dimmer; no apps or Z-Wave. C-7 was on latest firmware so I did a cloud backup for migration; so far so good.

Decided to do everything 'by the book' (for once) so pulled out my phone and scanned the QR code; stepped through the instructions and got the C-8 connected on wifi and registered with no issues. Consulted the 'How to Migrate to a New Hub' page and again followed the clear instructions.

When migration completed, I noticed that the C-8 had properly claimed the extended PAN ID of the powered off C-7; it also picked a new channel, different from the one it had pre-migration and different from the one the powered off C-7 had been using. Net result was that all the Zigbee devices migrated immediately (and worked) just fine, including one of the V2 contact sensors from which I had removed the battery just prior to powering down the C-7 (just to see what would happen-- on the migrated C-8 it began working normally within seconds of reinstalling the battery; on powering up it found the new Zigbee channel within seconds).

All in all very smooth.

4 Likes

Sorry maybe I am just plain stupid. This still doesn't answer my question. I think it all depends on when exactly the 'service expires'.. it only makes sense if you pay monthly but it doesn't make any sense if you pay yearly. If you pay monthly then at worst you loose 1 months subscription, if you pay yearly like I do (renews Feb 2024) then I loose almost 11 months subscription. Can someone define when exactly 'service expires' relevant to a yearly subscription?

No. What you do is cancel the subscription on the old hub. Then you create a case by visiting the following page and they will apply the balance of the subscription (let us say for giggles 10 months) to your new hub. After that expires you simply renew it.

Silly question..... Do the links in the existing Hubitat Dashboard get automatically updated for the built in cloud dashboards? Meaning, if I have shortcuts on a built in dashboard to other dashboards that use the cloud link path, do I have to find and fix all of those shortcuts? (Just trying to build a plan for when I am ready to pull the trigger)

1 Like

I am not sure about that. My guess is you’ll need to tweak those links manually in each Hubitat Dashboard on the new hub after the migration is complete. Tagging @bobbyD for an official answer.

1 Like