C8 Migration from C7

@doctorkb And I bet the firmware update to the C7 goes smoothly right after you reset the z-wave radio!

1 Like

That does seem likely. Zero load on it at that point.

Exactly my results

Yes, it is plugged directly into the router.

I may have figured out a solution. I went in and put some override dns settings. Rebooted as requested. After everything was back on and working both local and cloud, I rebooted my router. This time, after a couple minutes, the hub still worked both local and cloud. I’ll test it again a few more times maybe tomorrow. Had a long day and I need my nap now😵‍💫

3 Likes

Successfully migrated to C7 hubs to C8. Definitely seeing performance improvements. Below are several examples.

The yellow line is the old snapshot before the conversion. The white line for the same device is the new Z-Wave routes & bandwidth improvements. I apologize for the small images and hope everyone can see or enlarge them.

Don

4 Likes

My first conversion from C7 to C8. It did complain about the Zigbee until I updated it but then worked perfect after that. All of my Zwave is now direct. This has made a huge performance difference. I have to say good work on the C8 hub.

Now I will have to figure out how convert my remote access and backup to the new Hub.

Thank you Hubitat for your great work.

2 Likes

Remote admin applies to all hubs registered under your account. That shouldn't change. However if you have Hub Protect, you can cancel your subscription at my.hubitat.com then go to Subscriptions – Hubitat Support and start a case requesting that the remaining balance of your sub be applied to your c8

1 Like

Thank you for that. This saves me some investigation time.

1 Like

@bobbyD , I will be updating to C8 from C7. Assuming that I just power off the C7, and restore the cloud backup to C8 (on the same IP), would the C7 then work as a backup device if required?

In other words, if C8 has an issue after migration can I just plug the C7 back in and have it control zwave/zigbee devices etc. as previous? There are 170 odd devices with custom zstick includes etc. and I want to make sure I have a hardware backup if needed.

1 Like

That is pretty much what I did.

Yes, BUT ... if migration goes well, and Zigbee devices are functional on C8, moving back to C7 may require re-pairing. At minimum please be sure the Zigbee radio on the C7 is on a different channel than C8, if devices are working on the C8. Z-Wave devices should be able to handle moving back and fourth between hubs, better.

2 Likes

He says while touching wood, "I had the same question a while back before I migrated. Now that I am on the C8 it would have to be a major problem(s) before I would go back to the C7. Even then, I'd go back kicking and screaming :sweat_smile: I would probably look into all other options before going backwards. " :joy:

I just wanted to have a hardware backup in case of an issue, going forward. I could just leave the C7 in play, and have C8 there for a migration in case of an issue. @bobbyD , is the reason for the channel change to enable having both C7 and C8 online at the same time? I would only have one or the other powered up in my scenario, in which case the zigbee channel could stay the same, correct?

As clearly C8 is better with respect to range/bandwidth, it would make sense to migrate now. I'd want to make sure that the C7 is there as my backup (if possible) without resetting/re-pairing devices. Resetting and repairing took time over about 3 weeks going from SmartThings to HE, so I don't want to be in that boat again.

Once Zigbee devices are working on a C-8, they will need to be re-paired on the C-7.

Correct

1 Like

A C-8 would be the better choice as backup, because it can support seamless Zigbee migration. C-7 and older models do not support Zigbee migration, migrating to a C-7 or older model requires re-pairing of Zigbee devices.

Ok, so the only scenario for a pain free backup and restore (without resetting zigbee and zwave devices) would be another C8 hub, and a Hub Protect subscription, correct?

Thanks again Bobby for your prompt replies :slight_smile:

1 Like

That's what I would do.

2 Likes

As you may know, Hub Protect provides you with a free hub if anything goes wrong with existing hub. Having a C-8 on hand as backup means that you will always have a hub ready to restore a cloud backup and be back online in 10 minutes or less. When the Hub Protect replacement arrives, that hub becomes your new backup.

6 Likes

Stop, stop... [finger inches towards "buy" button again...] :wink:

1 Like