C8 - losing connection to Zigbee device (Hue Outdoor Motion Sensor)

It does mean that it's directly connected to the hub (and in the neighbor table, so its one of the routers the hub tracks). In a sense it is routing for itself; that's normal. So a route to that device from the hub includes 8C96 as both the destination and it's also the first router in the path to that destination(the 'via').

Could also be normal if those 'missing devices' aren't child devices of the hub, or direct-connected routers that the hub tracks (they only track the best 16). This page only shows devices in the 'one hop' bubble range of the hub; or, for devices that have recently had route discoveries performed, they may show up as entries in the Route Table entries (but they age out quickly).

1 Like

LoL with no antennas now which one of the antennas controls the Zwave so I can put that back on?
No Antenna

this is crazy
With Antenna

Just a guess here but since what is showing is the last hop RSSI value, with the antenna it's possible that instead of receiving a sensor's signal from a nearby repeater (in the no antenna case) it's now capable of receiving a signal directly from the sensor itself (which would be weaker than a closer repeater).

But that's just an explanation made up to fit what you're seeing and may not be actually what is happening lol. And it occurs to me that maybe you're talking about leaving the zigbee antenna in place in both examples, in which case forget everything I said.

In any case the Z-Wave antennas connection is the one closest to the USB C port

2 Likes

Most likely but either way there's nothing I can do to fix like I said I need power level 4 or lower

The Repeaters all worked great with the C5 and C7 all in the same place at least 1 in every room and there's 8 xbee3's in repeater mode in the house

Shawn.
You mentioned your AP is using channel 11, and Zigbee is 21.
Move the Zigbee back to channel 20. WIFI channel 11 and Zigbee channel 21 overlap.

--jp

2 Likes

Thank you for the info, Yeah I looked it was using 20 and wifi was on 11, Now wifi is on ch 6 and zigbee is on 25. I should just turn off 2.4ghz I don't even use it. What seemed to help was setting custom power setting on the Ap's zigbee signals improved some even my wifi seems to be faster now but thhat's on the 5gz ban. Zigbee is still weird for me though I was running channel 21 on the c5 and wifi at 11 for years with 0 issues. What I have learned from working with habitat Zwave and zigbee over the years is when there problems like this there's really nothing I can do to fix things. At first it's okay let's play around with this, then it starts driving me crazy and eating into my time.

2 Likes

Not sure I recommend channel 25 for Zigbee. Not all devices support 25.

1 Like

I couldn't help but laugh when I read this. I'm going to switch it though I don't like the number 25 anyways what should I pick? lol

1 Like

Another thing to take in consideration if you are having issues following Zigbee migration, is the placement of the new hub in relation to the old hub, and the time it takes for Zigbee to rebuild the routing table. Placing the new hub in a location that is further away from the old hub would impact the stability of the network. The radio should be able to rebuild its routing table, but devices may stop working and will require to be re-paired.

2 Likes

I didn't migrate though, zigbee radio in this thing seems bugged out. Not new to the Hubitat world
Hub is in the same place as the C5 & C7 were.

Thanks for your feedback. That obviously wouldn't improve your situation, but could help others while our engineers are investigating these incidents.

1 Like

Alas... 2.3.5.109 did not help my Hue outdoor motion sensor. It seems to be dropping off about every 24 hours now.

I installed 2.3.5.109 yesterday and today is the first day my hue motion sensors made it through the night! I’m not saying it’s fixed, I will continue to monitor.

1 Like

Is there anything in the release notes to indicate fixes? I see a couple more buttons... had some more INNR plugs - previously re-included - fall off.

I couldn’t find release notes. FWIW, I’m at 24 hours now and still connected.

1 Like

My Hue Outdoor Motion Sensor dropped again almost as soon as I paired it last night. I have updated to .110 but I didn't see any differences in my zigbee routing when it rebuilt. (It's been rebuilding on every reboot, even with that new switch turned off.)

I dug the C-5 out of the drawer where I'd stuck it, fired it up, updated it to .110, and paired the Hue sensor to it. It's the only device on this hub, so it's connecting directly.

I have to think that there's something going on with the C-8 zigbee radio. Despite the external antenna, I don't seem to be getting as solid connections as with the C-5.

Here's the Zigbee routing for the C-5. You can see the Hue sensor is the only thing on it.

Here is a sampling from the zigbee logs on the C-5. Note the LQI of 255 connected directly to the C-5.

This is the Zigbee routing on the C-8. It's still in the process of rebuilding, but note the LQI on the Neighbor Table entries. These were all 255 (or close to) on the C-5. The Dogain outlet is — at least theoretically — a Zigbee-3 device.

Here's a sample of the Zigbee logs on the C-8:

Is anyone else seeing this same sort of thing?

For now I have the two hubs meshed and I'm keeping the Hue Outdoor Motion Sensor paired with the C-5. The other Zigbee devices on the C-8 are working OK and none of them have dropped off — although they appear to be hanging on by the skin of their teeth. Admit I'm kind of regretting jumping on the C-8 at the beginning and I'm really disappointed. I have no desire to repair all of my zigbee devices to the C-5, so I'm hoping this gets figured out soon. (I know the Hubitat engineers are hard at work on it, and I'm sending all the good vibes I can their way.)

1 Like

Glad I found this thread. I’m experiencing the same problems with zigbee motion sensors (mainly Hue) dropping off almost immediately after being paired. Thought it was just me.

Like others, had worked solidly on my C5. Have bout 80 zigbee devices all up. Only about 10 or so reconnected successfully after the migration with the rest needing to be manually re-paired with only limited success having them stay connected before dropping off.

Hoping the fix comes soon (running .110).

Updated to 109, pressed rebuild zigbee, Hue Motion Sensors froze and no longer responded. They did not show up in any zigbee routing. If I hit the Configure button, they would show up in routing for a brief moment (then would disappear), routed via "Null" (seemingly borked route) and were still frozen. They behaved the same in 110. re-pairing (without removing) caused existing device to be found - but still would not respond. I removed one from Hubitat and re-added it, and it seems to be functioning normally at the moment. Will watch it for a day or two before doing the same to the other.

I just ordered a Hue outdoor motion sensor.
Hoping to get in on the fun. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had trouble with mine on the C-5. I finally put them all back on my Hue bridges and imported them into HE from Home Assistant. They have never dropped off since and my Hue bridges aren’t remotely close, but I have a stupid number of Hue lights.