C8 local access intermittent access

I have 2 C8 positioned in the same place on my local network. One of them is experiencing the issue where most morning I am unable to connect to it until I kick off a DOS prompt ping to it, then it starts working again.

I have swapped the ethernet cables between both C8 devices. The issue does not move with the cable.
I have tried with fixed ip, dynamic PC. I have tried changing the static ip.
The DNS settings are the same for all 3 on HE units.
Nothing of note in the logs.
When I can't connect to it using my browser, I also notice the Mesh connections can't either.

I have worked in networking for a life time and all I can think might be the problem is C8 unit itself.
Any thoughts.. maybe I am missing the obvious here?

Could you clarify which mesh connections you mean?

1 Like

Do you have jumbo frames enabled anywhere on the network? Also what lan integrations do you have on the hub?

Yes I have jumbo set and I have Meross switches using the Meross Smart Plug Mini driver(works great normally)

The built in hub mesh. It's listed in settings.

OK thanks for clarifying. Hub mesh functions over the LAN so it makes sense that is impacted too.

The hub is known to have problems when jumbo frames are enabled on the network.

Is it possible to disable and see if the hub’s connectivity improves?

1 Like

I will try.. thanks for the idea

Yeah, disable jumbo frames. That will crash the interface quicker than some stranger at a wedding.

4 Likes

The moral of the story is this...

Never enable jumbo frames on a network segment unless every single device on it supports jumbo frames. And I mean every single device.

That's why it's mainly only used in storage networks, or other networks with very limited and select devices on them.

Jumbo frames were never intended for consumer or general purpose networks.

4 Likes

Not to mention implementation between manufacturers can be different and hose things up as well

1 Like

So a little update. Looks like the issue has not been resolved. I have one switch, many network hubs. The switch has had the jumbo frames removed. All PC's have had the option removed. My HE only has loads of Meross and z-wave switches. It doesn't do much else. I don't remember this happening on the C7. What to do?

Does your router have jumbo frames enabled? Check each and every hard wired item on your network.

My router is running in modem mode. I just put it back briefly to normal mode and checked. The MTU is set to 1500. There wasn't any jumbo frame option I could see. My f/w communicates directly with the Virgin router and it doesn't have any jumbo option either, Here the MTU is set to 1500 . My BB router is running in modem mode and doesn't have anything else that i can change.
Basically MTU is default everywhere to 1500. I do have almost 80 wi-fi devices but all the hard wired I have checked. Maybe I have missed one..i will keep looking.

1 Like

You could also run wire shark and see what's being broadcast. A couple of hours should do it then filter the mtu

On a novice level, I had my C8 first set for wifi when starting up and then went to ethernet. My c8 sometimes thinks it should be wireless and craps out on me. If I manually type in the right ip .24 instead of .23.. it will connect with no problems. I might delete wifi settings to make my life easier. :slight_smile:

I'm still getting this issue. I don't think it's a jumbo frames issue because other hubs don't have this issue. port 8081 works. I always thought faulty hardware. So I have ordered another hub(my last c7 can do with an upgrade). I will move the iffy hub to the new hub and see what happens.

If you are getting to port 8081, then that likely means a corrupt database. Do a soft reset.

go to port 8081 and do a soft reset

Upon reboot use the database that you downloaded to your pc. (The initial creation cleans any corruption in the database)

See how it behaves after that. (Soft reset does not reset your radios)

Yes i have done reset and reloaded from backup... then a few days later it repeats...

Late to the conversation, but on the hub that is having issues, assuming that you are using a wired connection, under Network Settings|WiFi Settings are all fields blank? If not blank them out.

Reload from the one you download not the backups. Also what lan integrations are you using?

Tagging @bobbyD Maybe he can look at your engineering logs