C8 Hub wont load

My C8 hub states it has a corrupt database, i have downloaded all the backups and performed a soft reset several times and it just gets stuck at 15% "updating database". I have also tried safe mode but it still will not load, any thoughts on how to restore such a hung system?

Sometimes using the diagnostics menu to restore a previous version of the firmware and then restoring the backup before re-updating the firmware works.

You already have tried most of my prior suggestions to fix this issue.
There has been one other unresolved case of this recently :frowning:

The only other thing I can think to try would be to use the button in Diag Tool > Advanced to go back to 2.3.7.146, after it reboots if still stuck do another soft reset. The other user tried to go back to 2.3.7 (without using that special button) but still was stuck so it may not work.

Other than that you would have to send a PM to @support_team or wait for someone to respond here. Just keep your backups safe and once they can get it un-stuck you should be back in business with a backup.

I tried all steps and reverted back to old firmware but no joy. I had to perform a full reset then upgrade then restore from backup and luckily all my zwave devices still work (even though it says that wonā€™t after a full reset).

If you had a cloud backup then you probably restored the zwave radio back. If you do not have hub protect with cloud backups then you got lucky that it did not reset the radio. Speaking of which, if you had any subscriptions then you need to get with support to get them attached back to your hub.

How does cloud back differ from local backup? Are you saying that a cloud backup will restore zwave radio but local backups will not restore zwave radio?

Yes .. you need a cloud backup to restore z-wave and zibee,
the free one only does your apps and drivers.

Thatā€™s just wrong on so many levels

Don't kill the Messager .. ĀÆ\(惄)/ĀÆ
But you also get extended warranty and that's a good thing .. trust me.

Its really not, because it is made to go along with the extended warranty that lasts the life of the subscription. The ONLY time you really should need to restore the radio data is from a total hub failure. With Hub Protect they will send you a new hub for free in the event of total failure. Then you use the cloud backup to restore to a new hub. The only other reason you might want to radio restore is to migrate to a new hub, which they also allow you to do for free with a special migration backup.

Your case of the hub getting stuck how it did is very rare and staff recommended NOT doing a full reset but you did it anyway. Granted it got you going again quicker, but they possibly could have figured something out.

If you are worried about losing the zwave radio data then get the subscription. Hub Protect | Hubitat ElevationĀ®

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a history to local and cloud backups. Itā€™s not as if the staff made a deliberate decision to screw their users.

This post attempted to summarize how things came to be.

1 Like

Question about hub protect. Was thinking about getting it. Im guessing my C8 has been in use 6-8 months, will it be covered with warranty or did it the subscription have to be purchased within a certain time frame after getting the hub?

Nope, hub protect can be added anytime AFAIK.

With access to cloud backups, and extended hardware warranty, itā€™s well worth the subscription fee IMO.

3 Likes