C8 unresponsive - initializing 15% updating database

With the Hubitat Hub currently perched on my desk, it's tethered to the Wi-Fi or, alternatively, a non-PoE switch that's conveniently nearby. PoE, as far as I'm aware, isn't a factor here unless explicitly enabled, and this device isn't PoE to begin with.

Now, here's the pickle: despite the connectivity, I'm locked out of the UI, save for that trusty ol' 8081. And believe me, I've exhausted every soft reset trick in the book, but no dice. No matter how I tweak those network settings—whether I force it to gulp down 100mbps or let it sniff around on auto—it still belly-flops into a crash and ultimately lands in this unresponsive state it's in now.

So, where does that leave us? Well, it's crystal clear: we're dealing with a hodgepodge of a firmware. Somewhere in its digital innards, there's a glitch, a bug, or perhaps a rascally micro-firmware that's playing hard to get. Maybe it's refusing to receive the commands needed to update or reset the firmware, leaving us in this impasse.

(I asked chat gpt to keep my writing style when rewriting this message... I think it gets me very well! LMAO)

1 Like

The hub with the MAC address you've submitted the case with is not connected to the cloud. Is not even registered with your account. That can be the source of the problem, or indicative of a hardware issue as you imply. It's hard to tell. Did you run a Full Reset on it? If so, the historical logs are gone, so even if you bring it back online there will be nothing to see in the logs.

No full reset, wouldn't let me because it says it's registered and that I need to cancel the subscription itself before I could do that. Hence the fact I unregistered it, I think. I am curious about cancelling the subscription attached to it because then I don't know how I would access my cloud backups.

Can you send me a message with the MAC address? If it had an active subscription you shouldn't be able to deregister either. Running a Full Reset or deregistering the hub effectively removes the license from the hub and the subscription is lost. It will need to be restored by Hubitat staff.

Done. Thanks @bobbyD

Same problem here on my C7 - woke up this morning to a corrupt local database message. Using the Diagnostic tool, I have tried multiple soft resets. They all leave me stuck at 15% and I never get back to the hub UI. I've tried restoring a previous version as well - went back to 2.3.8.139. But same result.

Long time hubitat user, since the C5. Have also been plagued with the zwave dropouts for the past year that still don't seem to be fixed (no, it's not mesh related :wink: I haven't added a device to my hub in a long time.

Just need to it work - mainly because it controls my thermostats.

@bobbyD - will send you my mac in a DM

You may not have made physical changes to your connected devices, but that doesn't mean your connected devices didn't start misbehaving. Hundreds of changes to your hub could occur every second without your input. I received your message, will check your hub shortly.

First download all your backups to a safe place using the diag tool.
Under advanced in the diag tool use the button to restore back to 2.3.7
If that alone does not bring the hub back up, try doing one more soft reset while on 2.3.7 (even though that special button says it does a reset I recently found out it does not).

Hopefully that will let you boot, then I would update to current platform first, then restore your backup. It is possible some of your backups are also corrupted, so you may need to go back a couple to get it working.

2 Likes

First, thank you for the response @jtp10181

I have daily backups of my hub going back 3 months stored away on my NAS. To provide more context, I haven't made any rule/setting/device changes in Hubitat in months. The only changes to my environment are when I download a new version when prompted.

Using the diag console, I restored to 2.3.7:

Confirmed the hub cycled (at least it stopped responding to pings for 5-10 seconds before pings were received again).

Waited on this screen for >10 minutes. The screen never updated to tell me that the soft reset was successful.

Realized the hub wasn't coming back. So I accessed the diag console again in a different tab. It loaded - and confirmed that it was rolled back to 2.3.7.144

As you mentioned

If that alone does not bring the hub back up, try doing one more soft reset while on 2.3.7

So I did another soft reset... this time I did get a Success message:

But when I used the 'click here' hyperlink, I just get the same loading screen Initializing Hub : 15% - updating database screen and it never progresses past this.

So unfortunately, I can't get to the point where I can perform a restore.

Did I miss a step somewhere? Or any other ideas I can try to get to the restore screen in the main hub UX?

Not sure what the point of keeping all those backups were if I can't restore them when I need to :man_facepalming:

I specifically said to use the button in the advanced section of the diag tool. Not sure if it will make any difference though. It is a slightly different version.

Do you happen to have Hub Protect with cloud backups?

Have you tried booting in safe mode (honestly not sure what it does exactly)?

uhh... the radio loss warning scared me off:

I have to believe they put the button with a big red warning for a reason. Especially since their was an alternate method to restore a previous version I posted about above. Can't imagine a .002 point release would make the difference here, but I'll wait for @bobbyD to confirm that it's safe to troubleshoot using this method.

Yes I have been paying for Hub Protect for at least 3 years. Might be time to use it. I have DM'd @bobbyD to understand how to make a replacement claim, if it comes to it.

Clicking the advanced menu is perfectly safe. SOME of the options within there can cause radio data loss, but not the option I suggested to use.

Since you have hub protect my only other thing I was thinking that might bring it back would be a FULL RESET. However this messes with the subscriptions and registration so I am not sure if that would actually work, would need @bobbyD to confirm if that could work without making a mess.

Here is how you file a claim: Subscriptions – Hubitat Support

1 Like

Full Reset is never recommended as it's too destructive and rarely solves any problems. We've seen several incidents starting with 2.3.8 and were able to recover 100% of the hubs. There is a "perfect storm" scenario at play that makes recovery more difficult. The hub reports a database corruption and also drops the cloud connection.

2 Likes

@bobbyD I am having the same issue reported by @johnny2678 on my c-7 hub. After soft reset, it is stuck in the Initializing Hub: 15% state. As a result, I never get to the screen to restore the database. I've also done the network reset with no help along with all the steps recommended by @jtp10181 . My hub has been problematic for several weeks requring frequent shutdowns to restore the zwave radio. In the past couple weeks, I started experiencing frequent corrupt database issues so have done many soft resets without issue. But now I cant get past this screen. I bought a c8 pro hub and wish to migrate to it from c7 but am stuck. With over 150 devices and many complex rules, i really dont want to start from scratch

Do you have the hub protect subscription with cloud backups?
How many z-wave and zigbee devices do you have?

Unfortunatley I dont have the hub protect subscription. I dont have the exact count of devices since I can't access that screen but would guess around 80 z-wave, 50 zigbee, and 30+ virtual devices

Ouch... yeah, don't do a full reset or anything drastic. Unless you want to possibly re-join all the zwave devices. One other person reported they did a full reset which worked and somehow the zwave radio was not reset. Either a bug in the full reset or they got really lucky.

Hopefully HE can do some sort of patched diagnostic tool that will recover this, and push it out to your hub somehow.

1 Like

Yes sir! I'm hoping so as well. Thanks.

1 Like

If I loaded the c7 backup to the new c8 hub, would I retain all of my rules, dashboards, apps, and drivers? I know I would have to re-pair all of the devices, but mostly don't want to start over with the other things. @gopher.ny @Hubitat_Staff @bobbyD

If I can use the c7 backup but something is corrupt within it, will I continue to have the same issues that I described?

Full Reset didn't work :frowning: That process is so destructive, it wipes everything on the hub. It would be like you are taking the hub out of the box for the first time.