C8 Hub Update Failing every time

I have a C8 and it fails to update to the latest version every single time.
I have to clear the database and then restart the hub before I can successfully update the hub.

What could be wrong, and how could I troubleshoot this issue?
Thanks

Are you on a static ip or DHCP reservation?
Are you using the OEM power supply?

1 Like

When you say it fails, what exactly are you seeing (or not seeing) to suggest the update fails? Screenshots of any errors or similar would be useful.

3 Likes

Also, what platform version are you attempting to upgrade from?

2 Likes

I would try using the diagnostic tool to download latest version then restore from prior version (which also lets you update despite the buttons name). This can get past stuck updates sometimes.

3 Likes

I'm using reserved DHCP for IP allocation.
I'm using the PSU that came in the C8 box.
Currently running version 2.3.6.145.

When I try to install it, it takes a bit of time for the download to start, and then it takes a long time to get to a few per cent and then fails. To me, it seems like a storage issue of some sort.

When I clean the database by using this URL and restart, the download gets completed without any issues: http://x.x.x.x/hub/cleanupDatabase
This happens for every version update. So far, I installed all version updates with this method since I moved to C8.

For giggles, can you press the network reset button on the bottom of the hub for 7 seconds with a toothpic or paperclip? It will be the only round hole out of all the square holes. Then when it comes back on line, try again.

1 Like

I remember this as a symptom of the speed negotiation problem the hub has in certain cases.
In network settings, whatever this is set to, try the opposite. This is assuming you are connected via ethernet?

1 Like

The reason I wanted him to do a network reset (figured it would be easier)

2 Likes

I don't think a network reset changes that setting, if anything it would set it back to the default of Auto, which is usually what causes the problem to begin with with and setting it to 100Mbps will fix it usually.

3 Likes

Ahh usually I find setting it to fixed causes the issue..

1 Like

Thanks for suggestions. I'll check my switch and my hub config and set them both to 100Mbps and see at the time of next upgrade if it works.

I just saw an update and tried upgrading and faced the same issue then checked my network setting and it was on 100Mbps.. I changed it to auto and without even restarting, the upgrade done successfully in no time.
Thanks for your help. I'll monitor it for a couple of more upgrades.

2 Likes

That was my inclination when I wanted you to do the network reset :slight_smile:

1 Like