C8 crashing daily

I purchased a C8 back when they first released as an upgrade to my c7 as it couldn't quite reach the whole range of my house. Since buying it, I had about one solid week it didn't crash but now it seems like every 1 or 2 days it needs a power cycle.

I tried a soft reset and resetting the zwave database and still no luck. It currently doesn't even have any devices connected to it and it still crashes.

Any way to figure out what's up or if I just got a lemon? I'd like to retire my c7.

I would suggest opening a support ticket and engaging the @support_team. A gub with nothing on it shouldn't be crashing.

4 Likes

Can you please elaborate what do you mean by "hub crashing"? Your hub would be the first to experience such a hardware malfunction.

1 Like

By crashing, I mean the hub becomes totally unresponsive. I cannot access its IP address and any connected devices stop working.

What is the color of the hub’s LED when this happens? Is your hub connected via WiFi or using an ethernet cable?

1 Like

Mind sharing what network equipment are you using? And if you have jumbo frames enabled in your router. Also, is the hub connected via Ethernet or Wi-Fi?

1 Like

Sure. I have an Asus RT-AX58u running merlin firmware. Just to clarify, I kept my C7 and am currently using it with no issues, so the problem seems to be specifically with my C8. I'm not sure what jumbo frames are so I assume they are disables.

The failure just happens overtime. If I go reboot the C8 then the web server starts working again but eventually it just dies and stops responding. The C7 however continues to work, so I don't believe it's a network issue.

Not running merlin on mine but it could have enabled jumbo frames by default. It's easy to check, though. Go to LAN switch control and see if jumbo frames are enabled for the port that C8 is plugged into. That could be the difference between C7 and C8 (different clients, different ports).

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1011711/

1 Like

Also, Asus gear is known to have problems auto-negotiating the ethernet link speed. Might want to switch the C8 to fixed 100mbps. When the hub is accessible, go to Settings, then Networking tools, under Ethernet select fixed 100mbps. Hit update, then reboot. Assuming your hub is hardwired.

1 Like

Just checked and jumbo frames are disabled. Before I had the C8 on a wired connection and had these problems but currently its on wireless and still having the same problems. I'll try your suggestion of locking the bandwidth.

I was looking around the website but was having trouble finding where to actually submit a ticket. Is that under the warranty section of support or is there another area?

Yup, click on "Learn More" under warranty at support.hubitat.com.

Alright I've switched the hub to the fixed speed like suggested. I guess Ill let it run for a few days to see how it reacts.

Sounds good. If the hub stops working again, send me a private message along with your hub details and we will take a look to make sure you're not dealing with some kind of hardware malfunction.

1 Like

Hey Bobby. I sent you a private message.

Got it, check my reply.

Did this get resolved? I am having a similar issue with my c8 hub.

@user6904

Just to confirm - this is the issue you are experiencing (from above)?

• ...hub becomes totally unresponsive. I cannot access its IP address and any connected devices stop working.

And if so, how freqently and is there a consistent time of day, or time between events? Have you looked at your logs to see if there is anything going that might be related at the time when you lose contact?

• And as Bobby asked of the previous user:
2 Likes

Follow @danabw's advice regarding jumbo frames; however, if there are no jumbo frames on your network, then open a support ticket here:

1 Like

Mine was resolved by replacing the hub. Support has said the zwave device was crashing even tho there was nothing connected to it. The new hub is up and running with no problem.

We had tried a few things before going with the replacement. Soft reset and wiped all the zwave and zigbee devices (do a backup first) to see if it would just run on its own. We had also changed a few network settings.

An unusual case...typically the issues are more about what the hub is doing/being asked to do by devices, rather than a hub HW failure. But glad your problems were resolved.

1 Like