C8 antenna swap

What I learned back in the day: A transmitter needs to be able to shed it's power to the antenna. No antenna could "blow up" your transmitter.
Seeing the hub is a transmitter for zigbee and zwave, I powered it down when replacing my antenna.
Don't think it will cause serious damage if you do it quickly, but power down just to be sure is my advise.

2 Likes

Why did u swap it?

I switched to an antenna that @bertabcd1234 testd and had good results with. Also improved my Z-Wave results w/the C8.

Posted about it here:

Thanks for the replies, @fanmanrules and @aaiyar. Does make sense that the transmitter needs to shed its power. Pretty sure I changed my Z-Wave antenna w/out powering down and nothing blew up, but it was a quick switch.

Weird my zwave is already direct connect over 90% of devices and highest speed for all devices that support it.

1 Like

What really happens is that no antenna causes a severe impedance mismatch, and all the power is reflected back to the transmitter output. That’s what causes the damage.

3 Likes

+1 Always power off the TX before changing an antenna.
SWR (reflected power) will go through the roof and potentially damage the RF output stage.

2 Likes

Wait....everyone doesn't just keep a finger on the SMA connector during swaps and use their body as an antenna?

2 Likes

I think you meant:

That sounds just a little pervy... :wink:

Finger, whole figure, whatever works....:rofl:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.