C8 antenna swap

Noctua NF-A4x10 5V PWM, Premium Quiet Fan with USB Power Adaptor Cable, 4-Pin, 5V Version (40x10mm, Brown)

I use this to adjust the fan speed by connecting it inline.
Noctua NA-FC1, 4-Pin PWM Fan Controller

If fan noise isn't an issue you can skip the controller and just use the USB cable and plug it into a phone charger or whatever.

5 Likes

Thank you sir!

It is a thing of beauty, really looks fantastic. Thank you.

1 Like

Time to chime in after I started this rabbit hole and now we have a new case thanks to @lewis.heidrick :slight_smile:
I have been swapping and watching the levels between stock and LCOM.
So far the stock C8 ZB antenna is not as good as my full wave but the stock C8 ZW is out performing the big LCOM which surprises me but then I have to consider the whole radiation pattern change. I have 2 story so the smaller antenna my cover better.

So if i have a 3200 sf house on.3 floors (hub.is middle). The stock antenna are better than the lcom alternative.

I have a 3 floor 5600 sq ft house with the hub centrally located and it's golden all the way around. I even have 2 outdoor contact sensors (ring v2) that are roughly 100 ft away from the hub troughh 2 walls and 2 courses of brick and are directly connected.

which antennas are you using

Stock antennas

3 Likes

Any chance you can post up a step or other fusion360 compatible CAD file?

My hub needs to stand on its side on the right side (nearest me) outside rail of a 2-post relay rack and there's only the one side opposite the antennas that's suitable if I want to see the LED so I need bendable antennas, any recommendations for anything the same as stock (doesn't need to be "better," just bendable (or even straight).

@lewis.heidrick

1 Like

Isn't that a metal rack? I'd be surprised if you were getting 50% of the RF output.

The C-8 with long wires on the antenna mounted as far away from metal is the idea I'd pursue. :slight_smile:

Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 2.31.22 PM

2 Likes

C7 or C8?

C-8 sir

Arrived today, migrating tomorrow (Sun)

Had to wait until I got back in town.

That's a good idea if I don't get everything direct connected to the hub.

I don't currently have any range issues.

Just swaped my factory antenna with a zigbee antenna from SolarEdge (originally made for an PV inverter)

Now waiting for the mesh to stabilize, and will check at the end of the day how it looks.

2 Likes

Step and f3d files uploaded to Printables.

4 Likes

You da man.

For a short time I had min mounted on a laptop cooling pad I thought was most plastic with a metal mesh, and that completely tanked my Zwave mesh. Needless to say I gut rid of as much metal in the vacunitybif my hubs as possible.

I now have it mounted in an 80mm pc cooling fan. I swapped the metal guards out for acrylic mesh guards I found on eBay for like $7.00 and it fine now. That fa keep the hub and nice 82 to 88 degrees. My C7 with the application unit runs about the same, maybe a degree different either way. The C7 with out cloud integration has been stead at 93.6 since I powered it back up.

Just realized I never asked when I swapped my Z-Wave antenna, and don't remember questions/comments on whether the hub should be powered down during an antenna swap.

Is that recommended, or a non-issue?

As far as I know.

2 Likes