C8 antenna swap

Isn't that a metal rack? I'd be surprised if you were getting 50% of the RF output.

The C-8 with long wires on the antenna mounted as far away from metal is the idea I'd pursue. :slight_smile:

Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 2.31.22 PM

2 Likes

C7 or C8?

C-8 sir

Arrived today, migrating tomorrow (Sun)

Had to wait until I got back in town.

That's a good idea if I don't get everything direct connected to the hub.

I don't currently have any range issues.

Just swaped my factory antenna with a zigbee antenna from SolarEdge (originally made for an PV inverter)

Now waiting for the mesh to stabilize, and will check at the end of the day how it looks.

2 Likes

Step and f3d files uploaded to Printables.

4 Likes

You da man.

For a short time I had min mounted on a laptop cooling pad I thought was most plastic with a metal mesh, and that completely tanked my Zwave mesh. Needless to say I gut rid of as much metal in the vacunitybif my hubs as possible.

I now have it mounted in an 80mm pc cooling fan. I swapped the metal guards out for acrylic mesh guards I found on eBay for like $7.00 and it fine now. That fa keep the hub and nice 82 to 88 degrees. My C7 with the application unit runs about the same, maybe a degree different either way. The C7 with out cloud integration has been stead at 93.6 since I powered it back up.

Just realized I never asked when I swapped my Z-Wave antenna, and don't remember questions/comments on whether the hub should be powered down during an antenna swap.

Is that recommended, or a non-issue?

As far as I know.

2 Likes

What I learned back in the day: A transmitter needs to be able to shed it's power to the antenna. No antenna could "blow up" your transmitter.
Seeing the hub is a transmitter for zigbee and zwave, I powered it down when replacing my antenna.
Don't think it will cause serious damage if you do it quickly, but power down just to be sure is my advise.

2 Likes

Why did u swap it?

I switched to an antenna that @bertabcd1234 testd and had good results with. Also improved my Z-Wave results w/the C8.

Posted about it here:

Thanks for the replies, @fanmanrules and @aaiyar. Does make sense that the transmitter needs to shed its power. Pretty sure I changed my Z-Wave antenna w/out powering down and nothing blew up, but it was a quick switch.

Weird my zwave is already direct connect over 90% of devices and highest speed for all devices that support it.

1 Like

What really happens is that no antenna causes a severe impedance mismatch, and all the power is reflected back to the transmitter output. That’s what causes the damage.

3 Likes

+1 Always power off the TX before changing an antenna.
SWR (reflected power) will go through the roof and potentially damage the RF output stage.

2 Likes

Wait....everyone doesn't just keep a finger on the SMA connector during swaps and use their body as an antenna?

2 Likes

I think you meant:

That sounds just a little pervy... :wink:

Finger, whole figure, whatever works....:rofl:

1 Like