C7 Z-Wave repair, more failed nodes than not,

Is there a procedure to remove ghost devices?

Where can I get the firmware or do I need to email support (I've have done this)

So if you haven't done so already I would highly recommend getting a Z-Stick+ and installing SiLabs free simplicity studio. With it you can do things like remove ghosts and remotely exclude devices. It's not as hard or complicated as it sounds.

https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-Z-Stick-Z-Wave-create-gateway/dp/B00X0AWA6E/

@danabw has a great write up on this.

3 Likes

Aeotec > Zooz?
https://www.amazon.com/Z-Wave-Stick-Assistant-HomeSeer-Software/dp/B07GNZ56BK

also, can I have two hubs like this? I can't say I fully understand all things zwave

Yes I think that would work but have no experience with that device - the Aeotec has a battery and you can remove it from the usb and take it with you around the house to exclude troublesome devices. Also consider the UZB-7 or UZB-3 from Silicon Labs.. they're cheaper.

Here it is...and @erktrek is credited as my co-author. :slight_smile:

Ghost Removal - Who you gonna call?!

1 Like

Two hubs like what? Sorry not sure I understand what you mean.

Some may be removable using .156 FW...if there is a Remove Button available that will work in some cases. No FAILED button then the Ghost Removal process is likely your only path.

Trying Refresh repeatedly can make a Remove button appear.

1 Like

can you multiple z-wave controllers (hubitat and usb) be in the same network and control devices?

So you would add the usb controller as a "secondary controller" to the HE hub.. when you do that all the devices in HE show up in the ZWave PC Controller software and you can do things like remove ghosts upgrade firmware (it's faster than doing via the HE Hub), add non-S2 Zw+ devices like the Aeotec Recessed Door sensor 5 with no security (you are forced into S0 on HE for those devices) etc.

edit: In HE you go into Z-Wave pairing mode and then in the Z-Wave PC Controller software set your stick to either "Classic Learn mode" or NWI (network wide inclusion) it should pair as a "device" and nothing further is needed on the HE end..

1 Like

It's as @erktrek notes above.

Open the PDF I linked to and you'll see detailed steps/pics on the process of adding a UZB stick to your hub, and then using it to exclude devices.

All my Zen23/24 are VER 4.0, they were all paired as S2 unauthenticated and working before physically installed into outlets.

Item # Description Qty
ZEN23-VER4 Zooz Z-Wave Plus On / Off Toggle Switch ZEN23 VER 4.0 5
ZEN24-VER4 Zooz Z-Wave Plus Dimmer Toggle Switch ZEN24 VER. 4.0 - NEW 10
1 Like

Very cool - I have a few (like 3) that I've installed at my house as well - most of mine are V2/V3 but my clients has over 60+ V3's. I suspect similar issue with pairing S2 unauth but have not tried it. Did you test re-pair a switch with no authentication - no checkboxes checked?

I have the USB Stick ordered, would you recommend including them with the USB or bring the hubitat close to pair.

The way to build a proper mesh is starting closest to the hub and working outwards. If you have some repeaters you could do that first too - just pair them starting one close to the hub, then the next further away and the next farther.. when thats done then you could pair the rest of your devices as needed.

You should not have to bring the hub to the switches. I did not at my clients and I was pairing switches on the 3rd floor while the hub was on the first floor.

You will want to pair the S2 switches with the hub directly.

All my devices are Zooz S2, so what I did was right?

Or I should stop using S2 for all devices except Access Control which I don't understand either.

Yep! Except with some Zooz devices pairing with the default S2 authentication (the boxes that have checks by default) seems to cause issues. I managed to get all my switches/dimmers paired by unchecking all the boxes and going from there.

Not sure security is really necessary on devices like switches but each to their own.

Stuff like Locks are so called "Border Devices" (Access Control??) you want security on those of course.

@JacobE
I have just gone through exactly these same issues as you are describing. (C7 version .151)
A few points that I learnt:

1. If you have any ghost devices, get rid of them first. (If they are not plugged in, you can use the Remove button, from Zwave Settings. If they are plugged in, you may have to use PC Controller.) Ghost devices will have blank in the clusters column.
  2. Try the soft reset procedure. Be careful when you do it, and follow instructions meticulously.
  3. Try shutting down the Hub for 1-3 minutes, and then turn it back on.
  4. Give the hub and the mesh a few minutes to "settle down". Have patience. (This is a hard one to do).
  5. Finally, even if the Zwave Repair shows some nodes as Failed, if you can control them from the device page, then don't worry about it.
4 Likes

Shutting down the hub means powering it off.. you want to make sure the Z-Wave radio clears.