C7 wont include z-wave but C4 has no issues

I am migrating my zwave devices from my C4 to a new C7. The C4 excludes the devices without any issue. When I try to include the devices to the C7 the inclusion times out and the devices aren’t found. I go back to the C4 and run the zwave inclusion and the devices are recognized quickly and are included without any issues.

I have performed a soft reset on the C7 and still have the same issue. What can I do to fix the issue.

Thank you!

Try ALSO starting an Exclude on the C7. In other words, Exclude from C4 then another Exclude on the C7. You should see words similar to: "an unknown device was excluded" on the C-7.

I use that method on all my devices, new out of the box or moved from another hub. It tells you that the C-7 can communicate with the device. A factory reset of the device you're moving is another option, but I like the Exclude First method because it confirms that the hub and device can actually communicate with no risk of creating a ghost.

3 Likes

Also, check your past Logs, if you didn't already, it might tell you why the inclusion is timing out.

1 Like

I tried to exclude the zwave devices on the C7 first, but their is no communication to the device. I go back to the C4 and do an exclusion and the device excludes.

I have tried disabling the zwave radio and re-enabled it. I have even reset the zwave radio.

If you were unable to include any devices, please send me your C7 MAC address so we can check your hub's engineering logs, to make sure that you are not dealing with a hardware malfunction.

2 Likes

Just to ask my stupid question: the C-4 can have a dongle for the Z-Wave radio. Is your C-7 set to the same Z-Wave region as your devices? The C-7 can change Z-Wave frequencies.

2 Likes

You should not post that number publicly.

1 Like

Both are in the US.

Are the C4 and C7 next to each other? Maybe too close that they are interfering with each other? Maybe shut down the C4 temporarily?

Did you try a full power down from the settings menu, then pull the cord from the wall for 30 seconds before rebooting the C7 and see if that made a difference?

How close are you trying to include (exclude) devices from the C7. When I migrated, the mesh was very weak at first on the C7 and pairing was pretty painful. I couldn't pair in place or very far from the hub. Once I got the first few repeaters (or repeating devices) to pair, it went better.

2 Likes

@Stat Did any z-wave device pair, or did you at least get a failed pairing message on anything?

1 Like

No device paired.

did you perform the z-wave hub firmware update? I used to have issues with my C7 prior to the firmware update for z-wave

2 Likes

Can you post your z-wave details page?

I just Purchased a new C7 hub due to my C5 locking up and being unresponsive.
I have migrated about half of my devices when the include/exclude stopped working. As Stat described his problem, it matches mine to a tee. I have tried to update the z-wave firmware and platform but will not do anything. it just sits for hours. I just did a soft reset and restored. Also I was able to include devices back to my C5 and exclude just fine also.
on the other hand, the devices that have been installed work fine along with their automations. Please help.

Welcome to the Hubitat community. Sorry to hear you are having issues. Lets see if we can figure out what is going on, and we can tag support if needed.

Did you try to shut down the hub from the settings menu, unplug the hub and wait 30 seconds or so before plugging back in?

Can you upload a screenshot of your Z-wave details page?

You may have to join the Owner group to have picture posting permissions. You can do that here: Hub owners - Hubitat

2 Likes

@craig3458 I updated your account so you don't need to join the group. Please keep us posted. Sharing a screenshot of your Z-Wave Details page as @neonturbo suggested, will definitely help.

2 Likes

I tried the shut down wait restart with no change. I tried to take a screenshot of the z-wave details page and this is all i get.

Weather i tell it full screen or visible, i get the same image.

Will this work?

Z-Wave Radio Devices

Node Stats Status Device Class Device Security Route

Node Stats Status Device Class Device Security Route
0x0A (010) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI:
Neighbors: 17, Route Changes: 0 OK

SPECIFIC_TYPE_POWER_SWITCH_BINARY

None
0x0C (012) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI:
Neighbors: 15, Route Changes: 0 OK

None
0x0D (013) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI:
Neighbors: 13, Route Changes: 0 OK
SPECIFIC_TYPE_POWER_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL Phone Lamp S0
0x0E (014) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI:
Neighbors: 10, Route Changes: 0 OK

SPECIFIC_TYPE_NOTIFICATION_SENSOR
Zooz Master Bath Motion S0
0x0F (015) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI: 5dB

SPECIFIC_TYPE_POWER_SWITCH_BINARY Master Heater 1 None 01 -> 0F 100kbps
0x10 (016) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI:
SPECIFIC_TYPE_POWER_SWITCH_BINARY Master Bath Fan None
0x11 (017) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI:
Neighbors: 12, Route Changes: 0 OK
SPECIFIC_TYPE_POWER_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL Master Bath None
0x12 (018) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI:
Neighbors: 1, Route Changes: 0 OK

GENERIC_TYPE_SWITCH_BINARY
Zooz Deck lights None
0x13 (019) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI:
Neighbors: 14, Route Changes: 0 OK

SPECIFIC_TYPE_NOTIFICATION_SENSOR Master Bedroom Motion None
0x14 (020) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI:
Neighbors: 3, Route Changes: 0 OK

Zooz Cindys NanoMote S0
0x16 (022) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI:

Jasco Products Master Closet None
0x17 (023) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI:

SPECIFIC_TYPE_POWER_SWITCH_BINARY Craig's Fan None
0x18 (024) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI:
Neighbors: 6, Route Changes: 0 OK

SPECIFIC_TYPE_BASIC_WALL_CONTROLLER
Aeotec Limited Craig's Nanomote None
0x19 (025) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI:

SPECIFIC_TYPE_POWER_SWITCH_BINARY Spare Bedroom None
0x1A (026) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI:
SPECIFIC_TYPE_POWER_SWITCH_BINARY Filter None
0x1B (027) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI:
SPECIFIC_TYPE_BASIC_WALL_CONTROLLER Craig's Wallmote None
0x1C (028) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI:

None
0x1D (029) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI:
Neighbors: 9, Route Changes: 0 OK

None
0x1E (030) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI:
Neighbors: 10, Route Changes: 0 OK

None
0x1F (031) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI:

SPECIFIC_TYPE_REPEATER_SLAVE_[SIC]
Aeotec Limited Repeater None
0x21 (033) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI:

SPECIFIC_TYPE_POWER_SWITCH_BINARY Cindy's Light None
0x22 (034) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI:
Neighbors: 9, Route Changes: 0 OK

Zooz Master Closet Motion S0
0x23 (035) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI:
Neighbors: 15, Route Changes: 0 OK

Inovelli Master Ceiling None
0x24 (036) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI:

SPECIFIC_TYPE_FAN_SWITCH
Jasco Products Master Fan 1 None
0x25 (037) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI:
Neighbors: 2, Route Changes: 0 OK

SPECIFIC_TYPE_POWER_SWITCH_BINARY flood light None
0x26 (038) PER: 0, RTT Avg: ms, LWR RSSI:

None

Those first two nodes, the ones that say Discover and have blank routes, are ghost nodes. They did not pair properly or completely. They will cause all sorts of issues until they are fixed. Same for any others in that situation that got cut off in the screenshot.

These device(s) appear to be a light switch, did you pair a light switch initially, or a couple of them before pairing the Phone Lamp dimmer?

You can try to hit Refresh on the ghost nodes and see if a Remove button appears. Hit Remove, and wait a few minutes and see if they go away . Maybe try a couple times if it doesn't work the first time. Also, if you know which devices these are, it typically helps to kill the power to them so they don't have a chance to communicate and make the Z-wave firmware think they are OK when they are not.

Also don't try to do too many removals in a row. You may want to do one, power down the hub, pull the plug, and then reboot after doing 1-2 of them. Also don't pair anything else until you get the ghosts under control.

UGG, that is pretty awful to read and try to align the columns/rows properly. But it appears you may have more ghosts. Lets start by killing the ghosts if at all possible, then go from there.

Ok, I'll work on that. Will that cause the hub to not update also?