C7 wont include z-wave but C4 has no issues

Not sure. It is likely that if your Z-wave is so busy from these ghosts that it is locking up the radio, that maybe it is affecting other parts of the hub too. You might have other issues, but these are the obvious ones to try and fix at this point.

That makes sense.

I am chiming in after 7 months of making this original post, and I see others are having the same issue.

I got so very frustrated with the whole process of the C-7 not including or excluding z-wave devices back in May that I just stuck with my trusty C-4. Over this past weekend, I thought that I would try to migrate to the C-7 again, the C-7 had been unplugged this whole time. Everything went perfectly fine. I updated the hub first with the latest software and z-wave radio firmware. Then I started to exclude each device, 33 devices in all from the C-4.

I started to include the devices in the C-7. The first 28 devices included perfectly. When I got to device 29 the include and exclude of a z-wave C-7 wouldn’t happen, both functions would just time out. I tried each of the other 4 devices and the same would happen, the process would just time out. I checked for ghost nodes and there were none, thank goodness. I shut down the C-7 from the settings menu and unplugged it from the wall for 5 minutes, and tried again, inclusion/exclusion time out. I shut down the C-7 and unplugged it for two hours and tried again, inclusion/exclusion time out. I have even run the z-wave radio repair without any issues.

I am totally baffled by the whole thing. What is causing the z-wave in the Hubitat C-7 to stop the inclusion/exclusion of devices?

I am not sure what we can do without being able to see logs, or maybe even the internal engineering logs. Have you contacted support or worked with support to see if they see any errors in the hubs engineering logs?

Maybe post your Z-wave details page here, and maybe a log capture when you try to include a device and someone can spot an issue?

1 Like

It's funny Stat that yours quit at 28 because mine successfully paired 27.

I have worked removing ghosts and shut down between every 2 devices. after removing half of my devices i finally said enough is enough.
I reset z-wave, soft reset including clearing past logs. Restarted and started from scratch. The hub tried to update when i named it and the update failed. I went to z-wave update and that failed also and locked up.
Just for giggles i tried and paired 1 device with no problem just now but the hub will not update. It says currently running version 2.3.40117, checking for update for the past hour.

Check the Settings tab, network settings. Do you have a static IP or DHCP? Is the speed set for 100 Fixed, or Autonegotiate.

Static and auto

Change to DHCP. Static is hard to get set up properly, and causes many people issues nearly identical to yours regarding updates.

I contacted support and they are looking at the logs that I sent them screenshots of along with the mac for the device. So we will see what happens.

Good news. It updated and now id updating z wave firmware, which it would lock up on immediately. After everything is updated, i will try to reinstall all of my devices. Can I switch back to static once all devices are reinstalled? it makes it much easier to find.

Set the address reservation in your router instead. That is the best thing to do.

If that is not possible for some odd reason, you can go back to static. But your cloud dashboards, cloud backups or remote management (if subscribed) and future updates won't work properly unless you can get static configured properly.

I just want to thank you and the community Again for this help.
once I got the static changed, i was able to add all of my devices back to the hub with little difficulty. I have to learn how to redo some of the app setup because the apps are different in the 7 but all in all i call it a success.
Craig

Glad you got it to work. I couldn't get the C-7 to include or exclude any more devices after trying to troubleshoot. So I went back once again to my trusty C-4.