C7 Stops running automations and will not work zWave devices

If you are going to re-include both make sure you exclude the furthest away first then the next one then when (re)including do the reverse.

SmartThings motion sensor Zigby with 99% battery.

OK that' not it then.

Garage is much further away than Lower Landing and Lower Stairwell, but I had to move the Hub into the stairwell to get the garage to add. I added it with no security and the special zooz driver.

Re-adding it to automation and I'll see how long it lasts. If a day, then I'll do the other one.

1 Like

No, because the Upper Balcony fails too. It's a GE switch with a SmartThings motion sensor. Basically, if it's Z-wave, it WILL fail. Daily.

Your mesh is failing. The symptoms can show up in any device, even ones that you know to be paired correctly. Due to how the signals are routed. Your sensor, since it's Zigbee can be taken out of the pool of potential issues with your Z-Wave devices.

IRRC, if you connect an S2 device unauthenticated (which I would use for an S2 switch, plug, etc., if I was going to pair w/security) you don't need to have the code. The inclusion process should display the code and you just click to confirm. Choose the option below on the S2 pop-up that appears during inclusion. Hopefully I'm remembering that correctly... :wink:

I have the exact same issue. As of today midday nothing works. I can't get any device to turn on or off. I have four battery zwave devices, they are garage tilt sensors. Two won't even connect. I have 10 or so switches or wall outlets.

I've done all the steps, shutdown, power cycling, zwave repairs you name it I've done it. Much of that I've done since Saturday when I installed the zen27.

This all started when I installed a zooz zen27 in my pool house. I thought I had signal, a ge outlet worked fine there. But my impression is that once the zooz was included my zwave got unstable. I also removed some older ge switches via forced remove and I think I have the ghosts hanging around? I can't remove them via the remove button so I got to figure that out.

I've decided to buy a second c7 hub and partition my zwave network to one network for the house and another one for the pool house.

Can hubs be linked so automations can be coordinated across hubs and I can have a single dashboard?

Its super frustrating but I'm not ready to call it quits. I sent an email to support, I'll see what they are saying but I'm getting ready to reinstall everything on two hubs.

My smart things didn't have these types of issues. But I like hubitat much better when it works so I'm betting in can make it work...

But yeah, it sucks right now. I'm on .148
This morning nothing works, I didn't even get any log items in the log (I left it open overnight) since 11pm (it's 7 am here). Trying to turn on something doesn't even yield a zwave busy message, the log is dead. Nothing from zigbee motion sensors either. The UI works but that's about it.

I'm trying another reboot, power off cycle.

I haven't read all the thread.
Have you contacted support.
Tagging @bobbyD in case he is aware and can advise.

1 Like

Just throwing my hat into the mix. This happened to me yesterday for the first time. Z-Wave devices wouldn't respond and I was unable to connect to the dashboard. Google Wi-Fi said the hub was connected. A hard power cycle fixed the issue.

My C7 is running 2.2.3.148. I also have 3 Z-Wave bulbs in the basement that get hard power switched off. Even though I've repaired Z-Wave with the switch off, I'm sure it might be messing some with the network. Just mentioning that in full disclosure in the event it might help us pinpoint the issue. I do plan on getting another Inovelli Red but just haven't done it yet.

Guess I'm lucky this has only happened to me once so far. Others seem to have the problem occurring more frequently.

Not good. You should have tried the diagnostic tools menu at port 8081 to shut the hub down cleanly, so as not to corrupt h hub database.

1 Like

Well, I'm obviously a new user and didn't know there was an alternative method. I'll look into this next time. Thanks.

I would suggest that you try it first when not under failure. Many people have difficulty getting it to work. Two hints: (1) MAC address needs to be entered in the form given in Settings > Hub Details. You might want to copy that MAC info & save it in a note for later copy/paste when needed. (2) if left open in a tab, it will log you out after awhile for security, and won’t seem to work. Fix is to hit the Logout button, then re-paste MAC and login again.

Documentation is here:
https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Hubitat_Diagnostic_Tool

Hope this helps.

1 Like

I shutdown my hub and pulled the power cord. Went on a con-call for an hour or so.
Put power back into the hub and voila, an hour or so later after my next con-call the hub seems to be working again. I'm still unable to remove the phantom nodes and to be honest i'm tempted at starting over and redoing all my zwave devices.

what is the most reliable method to just cleanup the entire zwave database and all its devices without loosing my zigbee setup? I can remove all automations, they are easy to recreate.

Here is my update. Yesterday it was suggested that I place the Hub closer to some z-wave switches to see if that helps (do I need repeaters). I can tell you that I have had the Hubitat hub 3' from 1 switch and 6' from another switch. Guess what? I cannot control these z-wave switches today. They worked for a few hours, then failed, just like before. Support from Hubitat pretty much closed my ticket saying I didn't have a mesh problem. So, I guess I'll return this hub and give up, as it really doesn't seem to work at all.

6' from hub, added yesterday with zooz drivers, does not work today

3' from hub, same switch as above, also not working.

Just measured 7' from hub, GE switch, not working. It's interesting that this switch is going through the Entryway light switch, also GE, but it's on the second story, not near this one. There are literally 5 switches closer to this one that it could use.

So, in essence, I have no z-wave devices working, again, after getting them all working yesterday. Only thing that changed was the time.

Any ideas, or shall I just return this and give up?? My family has about had it with terrible reliability.

EDIT: I'm currently installing the community drivers for GE and Zooz in an attempt to see if it's the generic drivers causing issues. I'm also considering re-joining the zooz switches with no S security. I'm very open to other ideas.

1 Like

UPDATE: applied community drivers to Zooz/GE switches. Re-added all z-wave devices that had S security, removed said security. This worked for all but 2 Zooz motion sensors which are listed at S0 now.

It's been 12 hours seems like most things are working.....now that it's morning, we'll see how long they stay running.

2 Likes

Thanks for the updates methyl.mercury

I recently came over from ST last week and I’m having all the same problems with the C7. I’m seriously considering going back to ST since the C7 is so unstable.

what is your situation right now?

Same.

I have 9 GE ZWave dimmers, 4 zooz dimmers and a handful of locks, and sensors and garage openers. Everything will be fine and within a day or two the zwave network seems to just collapse and become unresponsive. Repair seems to solve nothing. The only thing that’s helped so far is to shutdown and power off the C7 for a minute.

And that’s just the immediate issues I have.

My IKEA tradfri 5 button remote which worked with ST is flat out not supported on a protocol level with no plans to fixit.

The “security system” arm/disarm based on phone presence is very flaky compared to ST.

It just seems like too much of a headache for very little return.

I came over 5 weeks ago, not a lot of fun, new platform to learn, having to worry about a mesh that I didn’t need to before, different philosophy altogether with how to run the platform... but if I had it to do over I would leave SmartThings in place primarily for the zwave, use hubconnect, move over zigbee, Wi-Fi, and connect all the other stuff I couldn’t with SmartThings, (especially echo speaks) then over time bring the zwave stuff over... when HE works it’s really fast, and frankly Samsung support wasn’t a lot of help...