C7 Stops running automations and will not work zWave devices

I have a similar issue that I have submitted to support (but have yet to hear back... I understand they are busy). I have a new C7 (recent migrant from ST) and had been running v.145 since the day after it was released, without issue, for 9 days straight. No reboots, no issues, all things working as expected (I have a mostly z-wave network).

2 days ago, in the middle of the afternoon, automations stopped. Upon trying to access the hub (via android app and PC), could not get the pages to load. Home router was not showing the C7 on the network (though the IP reservation was there with the correct MAC / IP combo). Went to the C7: Hub had a green light, network switch showed an active network link with periodic activity. I pulled the power plug, plugged it back in, and it came back to life. Roughly an hour later, same thing happened. I've pretty much been stuck in this loop for 2 days now. Every time it freezes, it seems to drop off the network (doesn't respond to ping, router shows it not connected). Other network devices on the same switch work normal throughout all of this. I changed switch ports for the C7 to rule out a bad port: no change.

I installed v.148 yesterday. Hub ran for over two hours before things froze up again, and now I seem to be back in an hourly cycle of freezes again.

Last night, I installed Hub Rebooter and set up an automation to reboot the hub hourly, hoping I could get it to last overnight through a nightly maintenance cycle. This looked successful: the hub logs show rebooting every hour after I went to bed until I got up this morning. However, after I got up and used my android app to check things, I noticed about 40 minutes later that the hub was frozen again. The hub DID NOT reboot at the next hourly scheduled time. I had to depart for work at this point, but I found it interesting that the hub appeared to work throughout the night, but after accessing the hub (using the mobile android app / logging into the local interface) it froze shortly after... I'll perform more testing when I get home. Might be a fluke.

No new devices added and no devices removed from the network since I installed v.145 when it was released. I was certainly modifying automations in those 9 days after, but thats about it. Nothing seemed to line up with when the freezing stated. This writeup is significantly watered down from my support email trail.

A screenshot of the logs would be helpful. From all the others with this issue it appears there is still an ongoing issue with the hub firmware but appears to be triggered by unreceived commands or responses usually caused by mesh issues. Power reporting devices that flood the network also seem to amplify the problem.

I'll capture some screenshots from the freeze timeframes and share them tomorrow. For now, I am attempting to interact with the hub from any UI as little as possible, as it seems the less I interact with it, the longer it lasts.

I did get a response back from support: disable custom code. I'll give that a shot as well, but I don't think I had much, if any, running. Also trying to get my head around why things worked fine for 9 days straight with heavy interaction. While I was modifying / optimizing automation, I don't think I added any new code or apps during that time. I do have several EZmultiPli devices that I am worried might be contributing to the issue (and I think are considered custom code...), as they seem to be the noisiest devices in my mesh.

I received the same response from support. I shut down my second hub and had everything running on one hub. it did not resolve the issue.

Is it possible that the automation changes or perhaps updates to installed apps are related to these recent issues?

Absolutely possible, I just see nothing in the logs or pattern of freezing to point to a smoking gun. My observation of some of the automation threads in this community lead me to believe my usage of Hubitat is nowhere near groundbreaking. So I don't think I'm doing anything with the hub that is pushing it past limits, but I can't rule that out. I have spent some time going through all of my current automantions looking for problems, but nothing sticks out (using Simple Automations, RM, Motion Lighting, HSM, and Thermostat, and Mode Manager... I don't believe any of those are custom code), If anything, my automation adjustments during those 9 days removed unnecessary applications and automations. On the day it started freezing, I don't think I had made any adjustments to the hub. Got it: it could have been something that was changed prior to that day, but without something logging a problem, I'm forced to look at everything inside and out.

After minimizing access to the hub yesterday, while I felt like it was freezing less often, I don't think it's a significantly contributing factor. It still froze several times in the evening yesterday, and after going to bed. Ironically, I'm now using my ST hub and a smart outlet to power cycle the C7 without having to go to the hub... sigh

I'll get some log snips posted later today from the timeframe of freezes. And to attempt to keep the support ticket open, I'm going to ensure all custom code is removed and perform another soft reset (support said to perform one, but I had already mentioned I had done that once successfully and saw no change... that was previous to the v.148 release though). I do believe I have at least one custom driver running ([RELEASE] EZMultiPli - Plug-in Motion / Temp / Light Sensors + Night Light). I love those devices, so I really hope it's not related to that.

I've got my hub to the bare bones, the only automations are basic, certain time turn on a switch, motion turn on a light. The zWave still freezes up.

Is the hub still accessable via web interface, mobile app, or diagnostic interface when your "zwave freezes up?" Or is it just the zwave radio / network seeming to drop out, but the hub continues running / is accessable?

The hub is accessible, it really just seems to be the wave radio that misbehaves.

@charli3_tang0 I disabled quite a few of my devices, except the ones that are within 30 feet of the hub (not line of site, through walls) all are zWave+, I disabled all apps except motion lighting and simple automation. I first disabled motion lighting and just use simple automation (all rules on both). it now works longer than before. I don't know why motion lighting would cause it to have issues unless its the Aeon multi sensor 6 that creates the issue.

I too have automatons related to motion sensors... And I may have even migrated one of those from Simple Automation app over to the Motion Lighting app on the day the hub started acting like this. I'm going to remove that Motion Lighting App and re-add the rule in Simple Automation to see if things change.

Additionally, since I'm not quite seeing the same issue you are (my entire hub becomes unresponsive and I can no longer log into the UI, from any interface, when it locks up), I'm going to begin assuming we don't have exactly the same issue. Just want to be clear on that. There is another forum thread I literally just found (My Hub keeps crashing, I don't have any custom apps) that sounds EXACTLY like the problem I'm having, so I'm going to start asking some questions there.

After reading so many topics i finally heard something that make sense and helps me to understand that there is nothing wrong with my sensor after spending so much time trying to figure it out why my Inovelli 4-1 sensor keep showing its status as failed but still reporting correctly, Is this information somewhere like a FAQ for newbies? I have spent so much time trying to fix its status that it would be great if this kind of information would be easier to find out :blush:

I can finally let it go and do not worry for its status as long as it is reportig correctly. thanks.

1 Like

NP...glad it helped you relax. :slight_smile: A lot of this is happening organically in the forums, and I'm not sure how much of it has been summarized in official docs by HE. Copying @bobbyD in support to see if they have had time (it's been a tumultuous few weeks since C7 was released) to work on updating docs on stuff like this. :slight_smile:

I've been having the issue of zwave devices becoming non-responsive every few hours since I got this hub a few weeks ago. Zigby works flawlessly. If I reboot the hub, the zwave devices will work again only to fail a few hours later. Not all of them and not the same ones every time. Support has yet to be helpful, simply telling me to "not" do zwave repairs because the c7 hub doesn't need them and to reboot the hub. Sure, I can reboot, but not 12 times a day. I did not have any of these issues on SmartThings (which I was hoping to throw in the garbage when I moved to hubitat), which makes me wonder if I shouldn't just move back to SmartThings for the zwave, as it really never failed unless samsung servers crashed.

Thoughts?

1 Like

It’s really not possible to provide any meaningful suggestions without facts from you regarding your configuration, such as: Hub hardware and firmware versions, Z-Wave devices involved and whether they are Plus or non-Plus, drivers and apps involved, whether your Z-Wave mesh is strong (number of repeaters, where they are placed, their types), etc. Maybe if we had some of that information some of us might spot potential problem areas to address.

It’s also possible that improper shutdowns (not from the Settings menu, but just pulling the plug) could have corrupted the Hub’s database, which is a bit fragile and without good repair/validation tools.

1 Like

I have no idea how to tell if I have a strong zwave mesh, but I had smartthings working for a year with few issues, so? I don't have any repeaters, just powered zwave switches and various Zigby sensors.

C7 hub 2.2.3.148
GE inwall zwave switch and zooz zen21 switchs both fail. I'm not intentionally using anything S2, as I don't really know how to get them working without pulling the switch out of the wall to get the codes off the back which I don't want to do. They're both using the default generic zwave light switch driver.

I just got Hubitat a few weeks ago, so I've done very little with it. Maker api, hue, sonos, Life360 and mq light for apps.

I suppose my actual question is how do you know if it's the mesh, hub or devices that are failing? I'm assuming the hub as SmartThings worked for over a year with these same devices I'm assuming it's either the mesh or the hub. So by thoughts I mean, how exactly does one troubleshoot this? Gotta say, really loving how Zigby always works.

Well, if you only have the two devices (GE in-wall switch (you don’t say which one, I’ve got a GE/Jasco 26931 ZW4006 Smart Motion Switch, works fine for me) and ZEN21 (which I don’t have)), then that probably isn’t enough Z-Wave devices to build a strong mesh without repeaters. Just because it worked with SmartThings doesn’t mean that the mesh is adequate for Hubitat. I suggest you read the following:
https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Build_a_Solid_Z-Wave_Mesh

1 Like

I have many more devices, I was just giving an example of the 2 types that I'm having the most issues with. I have 9 light switches, 4 plugs and 1 sensor that are zwave. Is there an easy way for me to list them for you, I think there is about 50 in total.

1 Like

I ended up disabling a bunch of applications on the hub. After struggling for a number of weeks, I finally embraced the idea that this hub needed more time to get its zWave network in order... If I were starting over and were in your spot, I would make sure I addressed all of my ghost issues, if any. I would would go into the zWave details page and verify that I could get the powered items closest to the hub into an "ok" state, I find the refresh button is most helpful. The zWave will periodically overload while you are doing this but just shut down the hub from the settings menu and unplug it for a minute. then go back to the zWave details page and see if you can get more devices (don't worry about battery powered devices at this time) to an "ok" status. I have Aeon 7 series repeaters in most rooms, and I focused on them first as I moved out from the hub. My hub still requires more care and feeding than it should but it is way down from my having to reboot every time an automation kicked in. I would also say that if devices can't get to an ok state their is a zWave network issue. But see if you have ghosts first. I am totally smitten with the hubitat implementation of echo speaks, and REALLY love being able to back up my systems.

Reading the link you sent. I did the following.

1. excluded zwave devices in smartthings
  2. as devices are already in place, added those I could to hubitat in the same location smartthings hub was in. Several wouldn't add, so I had to move hubitat closer to them. 4000sqft house, 3 levels
  3. waited 2 days before I did automations (mostly because I didn't understand how)

I had thought the zwave switches were acting as repeaters so I didn't buy any repeaters, but maybe I need 2 (1 for each floor where the hub isn't).