C7 locking up every few days - what do I look for?

Not sure, I went to raw text and copied it into a file then tried the upload... either way, i see why you created it with the naming variables. I just replaced that part and wrote the rule specific to each hub. curious to see if this will help with my lockups. i'd rather they reboot when i don't need them... :laughing:

Sorry I didn’t see your rule in the earlier post, it doesn’t have the hub name because you haven’t duplicated that part of my rule.

I’m pulling it from hub info’s locationName and feeding it to a local variable called hubName at the start of the rule.

2 Likes

Just right click anywhere and select “save as” or “save page” depending on the browser.

2 Likes

I had taken out the ecobee integrations/devices on 3/26, and installed the memory monitor. I checked it manually every few days, and there may have been a slight downward trend, but the numbers seemed to fluxuate in a fairly narrow band. I left town for a few days, and when I returned the hub was locked up / unaccessable via the web page or programmatically through Alexa integration. The last backup date was 4/2 (I returned 4/6), so it appears that it worked from 3/26-4/2, or about 7 days. I had to do a soft reset and restore from latest backup, and it appears to be working again.

So my question at this point is how should I proceed? When it locks, I don’t seem to have access to the memory logs from the reporting tool, so I don’t know if the two things are related. Any advice on what to do next? I could implement the watchdog/reboot on low memory, I suppose, but prior to this starting, my hub would run for months in between reboots.

There is an update currently being beta tested that will hopefully resolve these unexplained lock ups people are having recently. I would sit tight for now.

The update that @jtp10181 referred to is is out - 2.3.8.138. Update your hub and see if it helps...

3 Likes

Any idea if the known issues got fixed? The release post has almost no information in it.

If it doesn't resolve the issue, please PM me your hub id.

No, this 2.3.8 update is focused on a single change that will hopefully mitigate hub lockups. Everything else is slated for 2.3.9.

2 Likes

@rrands1 - this message is for you. You are important! :slight_smile:

1 Like

So not even the hub variables issue was fixed?

Correct...2.3.8.138 is a very targeted release.

1 Like

Thanks mate. Is it my imagination, or are the databases even more compact than they used to be?

In beta testing the database size was varying greatly between users, some it went up, some went down. Staff said if you are not getting alerts about a large database then not to worry about the size. The limit for the alert was bumped up (not sure to what). The size might fluctuate more with the new engine.

2 Likes

We've seen the database being generally larger while it is in use. Backups are about the same size, though.

3 Likes

Yeah, as noted my experience (and most others in the beta) has been that the DB size has been similar or larger, generally. Size can bounce around a lot more w/the new engine, so you may see fluctuations in the other direction, which doesn't seem to adversely affect the hub.

2 Likes

Cheers, I was just curious - I personally haven't had DB size issues for a very, very long time.

Memory is my limiting factor (based on my logging) - I hadn't had a Z-Wave cloud backup failure for quite a long time, but after lowering my reboot threshold to 180MB free ram, they seemed to happen at least once a week since 2.3.8.x.

2.3.7.x was a bit lighter on ram use (unless matter was turned on) - being in IT, I'm not surprised, as more features = more code = more ram used. This is not a complaint, I like shiny new things as much as the next nerd.

I'm going to be buying a C8 Pro soonish as my usage needs more physical ram to allow for longer uptime.

That said, there was a huge, and successful, effort by the Hubitat team, many major releases ago, to squash memory leaks. Unfortunately, some seem to have crept back in - I know very little about JVM's, but I've been told by many dev's that the garbage collection in JVM's is unable to remove "referenced" items from memory. So if code doesn't properly close items out when they are no longer required, they just pile up until you run out of ram.

I had DB sizes in the 40-50MB range a really long time ago, but cant recall seeing them get above ~36MB for quite a long time. I dont think I've noticed a specific DB issue tho, I was mainly curious.

C8-Pro below on 2.3.8.138, no issues, everything has been running perfectly. My typical DB size prior to the new engine was in the 30s to 40s, moving above and below that number on .138.

1 Like

Thank you so much - I appreciate it! I am installing it now, and will report back! :slight_smile:

If the new release solves your problem, then it's because of me.

If it doesn't, we'll blame @dJOS. :wink:

Seriously, all credit goes to @gopher.ny. :slight_smile:

3 Likes