C7 locking up every 2-6 hours -- potentially due to ambient temperature?

I recently replaced my C3 Hubtitat with a C7 and it has been locking up with no obvious cause over the last couple of days. I tried some troubleshooting but ultimately chalked it up to "Eh, maybe it'll get fixed in the next software update. If not, I'll post about it." It was locking up every 2-6 hours fairly consistently over the last 3 days.

I generally don't notice until an automation doesn't trigger, which can be up to an hour -- however, one time I noticed it very shortly after it locked up and when I went to unplug/replug it, it was rather hot to touch.

The (6x6) closet where I keep a server, networking gear and my hubitat runs a bit toasty in the summer, ranging from 85-90~ Fahrenheit. That led me to believe that the hub was overheating, so I have moved it into another part of the house where temperatures are around 75 and it hasn't locked up in the last 12 hours.

Just thought I'd post this in case other people are in a similar situation. I'll update the post if the hubitat crashes again in the next few days.

2 Likes

The c7 hub has no heatsink, no fans. It's totally dependant on airflow for heat dissipation. The c4 has a heatsink at least. I've not yet setup my c7 to compare temps, as I'm waiting for the z-wave fix.

That shouldn't be a problem, although is recommended for the hub to be placed in open air, away from heating sources. Also an overheated hub would shut down and display a red light. Was the hub connected to a Netgear switch and now is not? The C5/C7 hubs have a known incompatibility with Asus and Netgear devices that doesn't affect C3/C4 hubs. Based on your description, the symptoms fit the criteria for the link negotiation problem.

2 Likes

Ha. That's it. It was hooked up to a netgear, changing the location resulted in being connected to a TP-Link. Didn't realize that was a potential issue. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If you talk to support I think they have a fix they can push down for the link negotiation issue.

1 Like

I am using a LinkSys Velop mash network. I have the Cable modem going to a primary router attached to a Netgear switch which has other Velop nodes wired to it in remote locations. I was going to run the C7 directly to one of the remote Velop nodes. Would the Netgear issue occur with this design, or do I need to entirely eliminate he Netgear switch? Or is there a fix I should use?

I believe that as long as it’s not directly connected to the Netgear device it should be fine.

Interesting. Both my C-7 and C-5 are connected to Netgear switches with no issues to date. What’s the nature of the incompatibility? Just so I can keep it in the back of my mind.

I believe you are liiking for this, & here’s the solution, I believe:

1 Like

What @672southmain said. It’s a problem with autonegotiation.